IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing

Posted by: MasterPablo

IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 03/30/08 06:51 PM

Well just wondering is Muay Thai the same as kick boxing except it incorperates Knee and Elbow hits/strikes.
Posted by: Jer_sm

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 03/30/08 10:01 PM

Kick boxing = kicks, punches, knee's

muay thai = kicks, punches, knee's, elbows.
Posted by: Taison

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 03/31/08 05:08 AM

Some differences that pops into my head...

Different stance.

Use of torquing instead of knee chambering when delivering kicks.

Different punching techniques.

Predominant use of clinching.

Use of trips and sweeps.

And some more.

-Taison out
Posted by: Supremor

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 03/31/08 11:12 AM

Hasn't this been asked before. I remember Taison being equally blunt.

Basically, kickboxing and MT are similar because they are both ring sports, but after that they radically differ. They're not even both striking martial sports, because MT has a significant clinch game. About as similar as boxing is to Karate, I'd say.
Posted by: shills11

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 03/31/08 06:35 PM

It actually annoys me sometimes if i tell someone I train Muay Thai and they assume its Kickboxing " Oh thats the same as that Kickboxing isn't it" no it isnt, just like Rugby is different from American football and Netballs different from basketball and chess is different from chequers!

I blame you Americans! calling it Kickboxing, its just rude........

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/01/08 02:54 AM

Well,

Kickboxing and MT is just as similar as billiard and pools.

Gawd's sake, the mechanics are vastly different in both art. Use of torquing (MT) for power instead of chambering, no snap kicks, use of 'teep' to gauge distance, predominant use of elbows over fists.

It's like comparing a japanese drift car to an american drag-racing car.

-Taison out
Posted by: Ket

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/01/08 03:14 AM

Hey now, Don't go blaming us americans. I always thought ignorance to be a universal failing.

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/01/08 03:20 AM

Well the term "kickboxing" is just too broad imo.

Yes, Muay Thai is a style of "kickboxing" because boxing and kicking can be found under that category.

Kickboxing to me, imo, is like saying grappling.

So basically, what the original poster was asking more or less was "how is Judo different from grappling?".

But I took the little time to answer him comparing classical American Kickboxing and Muay Thai.

And Americans are not to be blamed for everything. The world's in a sorry state anyway. Blaming won't help much, let's educate instead.

Anyway, it's the Canada's doing.

-Taison out
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/01/08 03:58 AM

No no it's France with their blasted Savate I mean what the hell is that anyway? throws everything out of wack. jk I like Savate and France is ok since they have good wine and GIGN which is badass.

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/01/08 04:13 AM

It's those blasted Burmese with their Thaing!

WHAT IS THAT?!?!

-Taison out
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/01/08 05:03 AM

Yeah man I mean come on keep it PURE! Muay Thai is IT!
Posted by: trevek

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/04/08 09:14 AM

Main difference? Muay Thai guys wear those kinky little shorts.
Posted by: MasterPablo

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/05/08 12:40 PM

Ok i understand this is a forum and all but can we please stick to the question lmao.
Posted by: trevek

Re: IS Muay Thai the same as Kick Boxing - 04/06/08 01:54 PM

OK MasterPablo,
Whitdragon has publically pulled me up for making comments about shorts so I'll try to answer the question, although others already have.

MT is a traditional art from Thailand which involves particular styles of defences, kicks and strikes, including leg kicking, knee strikes, elbows and some grappling etc.
Some of these, like the Thai-roundhouse are very specific to the art. There are also companion arts, including swords (krabi-krabong).

Kickboxing is a sport which grew from a hybrid of Karate, Boxing, TKD etc. Generally it utilises different kicks (more Japanese/Korean) and a more limited number of strikes and targets (at least in competition), such as no kicks to the leg, elbow strikes etc.

Some forms of semi-contact/ point fighting have begun to be called KB but it aint popular with the FC KBers.

Oh, and there's the shorts and stripey trousers too.