Beginner Gloves

Posted by: andyman

Beginner Gloves - 02/05/08 10:35 PM

Anybody have recommendations for gloves? I'm just starting Muay Thai so its all bag and pads work with partners - no sparring yet. I'm looking for thoughts on weight, material, brand, etc.
Posted by: shills11

Re: Beginner Gloves - 02/06/08 09:46 AM

If your not sparring yet just get some bag mits I bought a pair of Twins from our coach and there great, bag mits look like the ones in the picture below
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: Beginner Gloves - 02/12/08 05:51 AM

I've found the biggest problem with gloves is getting a pair that fits comfortably. I didn't think I have particularly big hands but found that a lot of 14oz gloves were too small [and painfully small with wraps on].

There may be a requirement for a particular weight of glove in your school, I don't know? I compete at super-heavy in my martial art [savate] and we're required to wear 14oz gloves or heavier. Lighter fighters wear lighter gloves.

Your instructor probably has access to cheap beginners gloves. I've had mixed success with cheap gloves bought from ebay -- one pair were great and the others were not.
Posted by: fallen

Re: Beginner Gloves - 02/24/08 10:58 AM

well as for weight i use 14 oz for everythin except heavy sparring if you wanna go for heavy sparring go for 16 oz but its the beggining dont worry about that, as for companys, NUMBER 1 twins (in my books)
a close number 2 would be muay thai, then number 3 windy
good luck!
Posted by: Viator

Re: Beginner Gloves - 02/27/08 09:11 AM

Quote:

Your instructor probably has access to cheap beginners gloves.

This. Support your instructor. Honestly, as long as you acceptthat this is just a beginners pair, any of them are going to work. Gloves wear out,simple fact. You don't need a set of Cleto Reyes or anything like that yet, so just buy a pair out of your coaches shop.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Beginner Gloves - 02/27/08 04:04 PM

[quote

Your instructor probably has access to cheap beginners gloves. I've had mixed success with cheap gloves bought from ebay -- one pair were great and the others were not.

To add to this post...
I dont know if anyone else has experienced this... But do you feel that when you purchase something from your instructor, you get closer to them? And what do you want more, than be on your teacher's good side? So there is another benefit to add to buying gloves from an instructor.