How do I increase my punching speed?

Posted by: Kr00c

How do I increase my punching speed? - 01/30/08 11:45 PM

I want to punch quicker with hard hits, but i don't know how to train for this......can someone help and give me some training tips?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 01/31/08 07:35 AM

Get a heavy bag, or a partner with focus mitts, and start hitting. Check here, too:

http://www.rossboxing.com/
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 01/31/08 10:12 AM

Kr00c how long have you been boxing? What punches are giving you the most trouble?

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 01/31/08 09:38 PM

im not a boxer, im just starting, i jus want to know how to faster and harder.....
Posted by: jasperdaman

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 01/31/08 11:44 PM

Hit the weights and hit the heavy bag. Best way to get better at punching is....to punch. Best way to gain strength and power is to lift weights to aid your punching.
Posted by: shills11

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/01/08 10:20 AM

I dont lift weights and i can hit hard enough,

focus on hip and shoulder rotation learn the way proper punching mechanics work and pratcice, it isnt easy at first but eventually you'll get there,

theres no quick fix just hard work
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/01/08 10:08 PM

Shills...
Now imagine if you lifted weights. You would be punching even HARDER!!!

I say:
-lift
-use heavy bag
-focus on technique
-use your body to execute more power
-practice sparring to work on the punches
-make sure you do not get stiff before the punch (it makes you slower)

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/02/08 07:45 PM

I'm not disregarding weights or anything I use body weight exercises such as plyometric press ups e.t.c this helps with explosive punching power, which is what your really looking for, I may eventually start to use free weights I dont disagree with them just dont think they are essential.......i could be wrong however

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/02/08 07:48 PM

Well since its your opinion, you cant be wrong...
And sometimes all you need are the bodyweight excercises. I believe push ups are better than some weighted excercises. I am not saying you have to lift weights, just get stronger (I guess)...

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/02/08 07:59 PM

everyone here said how to punch harder, but how do u punch faster?

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/02/08 08:01 PM

Well if you go along with what everyone here said, you will get faster punches.
Number 1 thing I would say is bagwork.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/03/08 02:31 PM

^^ arite thanks, how heavy should the bag be for me? im a small guy.....16 yrs old, 115 pounds

Also, speed bags make u punch faster right?

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/03/08 09:28 PM

Yeah u can get both in a package. And I would recommend the heaviest bag, because I hate it swinging if you punch to hard.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/03/08 11:28 PM

Weight training and exercises will help train fast twitch fibres within the body. But the faster and more u punch the bag the quicker ur body will adapt to punching faster then adapt and adapt until u can punch reasonably fast.
Posted by: formless

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/04/08 11:51 PM

the speed bad really brought my punches to the next level in terms of speed.
for me:
speed bag = speed
heavy bag = makes me hit like a mack truck.
Posted by: Jer_sm

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/06/08 09:49 PM

When you punch make sure you only clinch your hands right befor impact to prevent being stiff and slowing you down.
Posted by: Tyfo21

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/08/08 12:46 PM

Tensing and stiffening up your muscles won't help to increase your punching speed or power, you need to relax your arms and fists otherwise your just going to be hitting slower and weaker than your capable of
Posted by: Hakusan22

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/08/08 04:16 PM

KrOOc, first, i just wanted to say that you are outstanind for wanting to increase your level of punching power and speed at such a young age. Most kids your age are just worried about basketball games or playing cards. So my hats off to you.
Secondly, i started training with my grandpa when i was 7 years old. and have been training ever since. One big differnce between my training, and the training that is given in Dojos now days is that i was trained traditionaly, with real time, real world places and senarios. We didnt have weights, so to the person saying weight lifting is the answer. I do not argue with you on saying it will help. But just as any kind of training biased training. you pay the price in some other area of skill.
My advise, is to use your own body wieght, which is best for stamina and speed as well as technique. But also try to think outside of everyone elses means of training. that is what will set you apart from them. Make you better, or in some cases, worse.
To train in speed and power, is like sayin you want a beef paddy and a hamburger. You need the beef patty to make a hamburger. Just as you need the speed, to make the power. There are many different ways to hit something but for now, i would advise you focus on hitting water. Rather than a bag or a tree. Practice hitting the water with your palms first, then use your fists. After that, go neck deep into a pool or ocean, and do punches, at first for form, then speed it up to max speed. You will notice that the force is much less due to water resistance, but every muscle from your shoulders to your abbs, down to your legs are trying to fight the movent. This will increase explosivness as well as speed and power.
I do not say my advise is better or worse than others. I am mearly stating how i was taught. In can tell you results are mind blowing, to you, and to the opponent who takes the punch.

Train hard and practice, and you will just be practicing...train perfection, and you will progress in leeps and bounds.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/08/08 04:38 PM

Underwater training is of debatable benefit in martial arts power/speed training:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...41#Post15855750
Posted by: Hakusan22

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/11/08 07:10 PM

Wow...ok, once again, like i stated before, i am only telling you how i was trained. And yes, it does work. It has been working for generations. And in my martial art, it is battle proven and time tested.
For you super scientific people out there. I am glad you can explain how a punches energy moves through out the body. But do me a favor and explain Bruce Lee's "one inch punch". The key to a "stopper", is the flow of energy from one place to another. Not so much as from your feet to your knee, then hips, then core, so on and so forth. But to get that explosive enery flow within a short amount of prep time. Prep time also known as setting, or telegraphing. My guess is that cord, hasnt ever done hours of training in water. Hitting it, or fighting it. He also sounds so mechanic that it is hard to even think he has a spiritual side to whatever art he is practicing. But for those of you who dont know what i am talking about. Lets try a simple excersize that may shine a little light uppon what i am trying to explain. I understand how alot of martial arts work. It is my job to know, and learn because training never stops. It also alows me to find weaknessess and strength. And i have found many of both. But as you go train today, i want you all to try something out of just plain curiosity. Take a good size bucket and fill it with water...place your middle finger palm down on the waters surface and notice the ripples. Then, strike the waters surface with your palm...notice what it does...now try it again in a bigger container, like a barrel. Much different reaction. Now use your fist...bet you dont get the same reaction from the water. The goal...is to get the same reation. My grandpa at the age of 90 could empty an entire bucket of water with one palm strike (ensure the edges fold outward)...at first, the only way i could empty it was by splashing more then striking. So cord, explain why my grandpa had supiror skill at the age of 90, that some martial artist dont have in an entire life time without the knowledge of water training. And explain how i at the age of 22, can now perform the same act. Yes...there is a trick to it...but again, that comes with practice and knowledge. Dont talk so much about something, that you do not understand Mr. Cord. Because just yesterday, my student felt himself fly across the room from pure energy. Hitting a bag could never get that result. I am not taking it personally because these techniques, mostly lost, have been practice for centeries...the difference is the way, and environment you are trained in.
For those of you with an open mind and willing to continue training without limits on what you think is wrong or right. Try this for technique builder:

Put your body under water till you are up to your neck...pull your hand back and punch. You will notice bubbles come up around your arm and shoulders...my challenge for you? Eliminate the bubbles from your shoulders and arm, and try to make a cylinder of bubble after your punch is complete. You should see the cylinder proceed beyond your fist, but no bubble around your arm or shoulders. If you dont feel a vaccume when you explode...you are doing it wrong. I will leave you to figure out how to get that vaccume. thats the point in training. At least how i was trained. Give a riddle and an objective, and let the artist figure out how it is done. that is called Enlightenment. Good luck

If anyone has any questions or would like to learn more or just wants to swap stories so i can learn as well. Please mail me. Thank you.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/11/08 08:19 PM

Quote:

But do me a favor and explain Bruce Lee's "one inch punch".

What about it? The mechanics are similar to any other punch, albeit more compact in some respects (arm extension), and more exagerated in others (wrist flexion).

I fail to see what having or not having a "spiritual side" has anything to do with punching speed or power. And, as Cord was a national level fitness trainer, I give his word the respect it deserves. His knowledge of bio-mechanics in strength training and rehabilitation has direct application for martial arts.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/11/08 09:48 PM

Matt,
to answer the original question of this thread... first learn to do a proper punch, and then concentrate on "pulling it back". Punch completely relaxed to the point of impact, then use the same motion you would to break a stick to press your forefinger and middle knuckles at the target, then pull back hard. The whole "trip" for your hands shouldn't be more than a foot or so.

Once you get "speed", you can work on putting your body into the punch as well for power... then you have both speed and power, but the speed training is actually "short distance" training for the most part.

Then get a speed bag and work it... move from the speed bag to the heavy bag and back again... always finishing on the speed bag.

... anyway, that's how I trained... and I still have pretty fast hands for a 63 year old...

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/12/08 12:10 AM

Cord has indeed earnt my respect, not because he can empty a bucket of water by striking it (which obviously has many uses in self defence..) but because he has respected me by taking time to impart his knowledge on me and help me grow in my training.

You have 2 posts under ur belt and u are already trying to tell people they are wrong using bias subjective information that is not backed up by any factual information, whereas Cord does not just say ' dont train in water because its rubbish to gain advantage from it', he backs his information up with non-bias objective scientific information, which to me is more reliable then ur 90 year old grandads old school training. I mean no disrespect but i would take Cord's advice over urs any day as he has earnt my respect and you my friend have a long way to go until you have a chance of earning it.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/12/08 01:34 AM

Quote:

KrOOc, first, i just wanted to say that you are outstanind for wanting to increase your level of punching power and speed at such a young age. Most kids your age are just worried about basketball games or playing cards. So my hats off to you.
Secondly, i started training with my grandpa when i was 7 years old. and have been training ever since. One big differnce between my training, and the training that is given in Dojos now days is that i was trained traditionaly, with real time, real world places and senarios. We didnt have weights, so to the person saying weight lifting is the answer. I do not argue with you on saying it will help. But just as any kind of training biased training. you pay the price in some other area of skill.
My advise, is to use your own body wieght, which is best for stamina and speed as well as technique. But also try to think outside of everyone elses means of training. that is what will set you apart from them. Make you better, or in some cases, worse.
To train in speed and power, is like sayin you want a beef paddy and a hamburger. You need the beef patty to make a hamburger. Just as you need the speed, to make the power. There are many different ways to hit something but for now, i would advise you focus on hitting water. Rather than a bag or a tree. Practice hitting the water with your palms first, then use your fists. After that, go neck deep into a pool or ocean, and do punches, at first for form, then speed it up to max speed. You will notice that the force is much less due to water resistance, but every muscle from your shoulders to your abbs, down to your legs are trying to fight the movent. This will increase explosivness as well as speed and power.
I do not say my advise is better or worse than others. I am mearly stating how i was taught. In can tell you results are mind blowing, to you, and to the opponent who takes the punch.

Train hard and practice, and you will just be practicing...train perfection, and you will progress in leeps and bounds.

wow.....u answered my question perfectly, u and ur grandma are real knowledgeable.......Thanks everyone!

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 02/13/08 01:58 AM

^^i meant to say grandpa...lol my bad
Posted by: grappler4571

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/02/08 09:09 PM

id say get some wrist weight and put them on under your gloves if possible and go at the bag your fastest it worked for me i saw an increase in my speed with in the first three weeks of using the 3 pound wrist weight you can get them from here
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1123753
Posted by: butterfly

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/03/08 04:06 PM

Be very careful about wrist weights. I'd actually advise against using these, especially if you are throwing punches in the air with any authority....as in shadow boxing. And speed can be gained without their use....just look at boxers. Efficient punching technique and practice will get you speed.

The ligaments and tendons in your wrist were not designed to stop a lot of extra weight attached there when going full bore. Slower work for form using weights to extension can be OK. Remeber gloves of any type wrap around the entire hand and go past the wrist, so support of a 16 oz glove is much more easily handled.

Don't, I repeat, don't dry fire punches into the air with speed while wearing wrist weights.
Posted by: Aegishjalmur

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/21/08 01:12 PM

All I was really taught about this was to just keep punching...you need to put in the hard work, it's not heresy to get better at something by actually doing that activity...there isn't always some secret alternative.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/21/08 05:02 PM

Whew that was some thread! (the Stealth water training link) I am really disappointed some of Stealths insults were edited out.

I take it he is gone from the forum?

Trying to find a purpose behind training in water, I can only come up with one. As a swimmer we learned how to cut through the water to reduce resistance to maximize speed.

I could see how using the same principle you could teach someone to move more directly to a target as the water would allow them to feel extra or offline movements.

The same way hitting a bag teaches you to set your wrist the water could help prevent flying elbows and the like.

Or I can stand behind you and hit you with a stick. Either way:)

Oh to increase speed, relax! Breath! Use good techinique! Power will be there, don't worry about that until you get your technique down.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/22/08 10:33 AM

well you could add plyometric pushups in your training for speed strenght. Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky, renowned Russian scientist, defines speed-strength as the “ability to quickly execute an unloaded movement or a movement against a relatively small external resistance. Speed-strength is assessed by the speed of movement.”

Sport biomechanist Vladimir Zatsiorsky notes that “the ability to produce maximal force and the ability to achieve great velocity in the same motion are different motor abilities.”

So basically do a push up but push your self in the air and clap your hands then repeat. Plyometrics are real easy to overtrain so as soon as you cant push upself up the same height as the first one stop.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/25/08 08:52 AM

Quote:

When you punch make sure you only clinch your hands right befor impact to prevent being stiff and slowing you down.

A couple of you have mentioned something alomg the lines of the above quote and I have to say i respectfully disagree.

Especially for a beginer in boxing theres a lot of head movement involved and you will not always land a punch where or when you inteneded to meaning if you land a punch too early then your unclenched fist/wrist could break.

Commit your punch from the moment you let it fly especially if youre a beginer and are likely to misjudge your punches.

I was taught this from our Muay Thai coach and hes trained UK and Scottish champions
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/25/08 08:01 PM

Honestly dont know the point of unclenching your fist anyway, its not like it adds anything apart from risk.

Havnt read through everyone elses comments, but theres really only a few ways to increase punching speed.
A) Punch the bag harder/faster, progress
B) Do some Power/Strength oriented weightlifting

Before you even give a crap about speed and power and all that, get the technique perfect.
Its like trying to play a piano song really fast, without knowing how to play it.

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/25/08 08:37 PM

Quote:

Before you even give a crap about speed and power and all that, get the technique perfect.
Its like trying to play a piano song really fast, without knowing how to play it.

thats a very nice way of putting it.
Posted by: Aegishjalmur

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/25/08 11:50 PM

Props to that mate. No point in finishing the test first if you had to guess the answers.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/26/08 02:37 AM

Water benders UNITE!!
Posted by: Triddle

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/26/08 06:23 AM

With regards to clenching/unclenching the fist:

I don't believe that it actually makes a difference to the speed of your punch unless you're really trying to crush your own palm. Personally I clench my fist mid flight simply because I don't like to stand there clenching my fists all day, so prepunch they are lose.

I was once told by a very good boxer that he left his hands unclenched on his jabs before impact for the extra little bit of reach he could get. He said with gloves on it didn't really matter if he made contact with his fist unlenched, though he clenched it if contact was guaranteed for better power transfer. Basically a good way to score cheap points in amateur boxing.

If you wish to develop punching speed the only real advise I have is to get out on the heavy bag every day. Try doing three one minute rounds of just pounding the bag with straights as quickly as you possibly can, then rest for 15 seconds. If you have trouble with one minute rounds go for 30 seconds, key thing is not to overdo it so that you can keep getting out there and doing it every day (or 6 days a week). This is just a drill I became fond of, any punching drills will increase your speed, there is no secret or trick to it as far as I know.
Posted by: waylander

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/26/08 09:20 AM

i found practicing at slow speeds to get the technique right first then slowly incresing in speed while consentrating on technique and accuricy, the speed with practice will come. also i was taught that speed and accuricy are far more important that power as you don't need power if your striking the right places.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/26/08 09:26 AM

find a cactus and start punching it

Re: How do I increase my punching speed? - 03/26/08 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A couple of you have mentioned something alomg the lines of the above quote and I have to say i respectfully disagree.

Especially for a beginer in boxing theres a lot of head movement involved and you will not always land a punch where or when you inteneded to meaning if you land a punch too early then your unclenched fist/wrist could break.

Commit your punch from the moment you let it fly especially if youre a beginer and are likely to misjudge your punches.

I was taught this from our Muay Thai coach and hes trained UK and Scottish champions

it is a good point that you might not glintch at the right time. But if you glinch the whole way of the punch but you are make your arms force for nothing effecting your endurance