wearing contacts?

Posted by: slick578

wearing contacts? - 01/17/08 06:13 AM

Hello to all,

Ive been boxing for around 18months now, my fitness has improved no end and ive developed a real affinity for the sport. My sparring sessions have put me against some much more experienced boxers yet ive always managed to handle the challenge, thing is my coach has asked me if I want to take part in a local comp which ive agreed to, only concern is my eyes!

I have pretty poor vision so I wear contacts whilst sparring, its never occured to me that it might be a problem until Ive read online that the aba in england doesnt allow contacts during fights. Ive sparred countless times with my soft lenses and they have never caused a problem, never fallen out or anything, My optometrist has never mentioned that its hazardous, he knows that I wear contacts for boxing, training and other sports.

I mean without contacts I can spar well, Im short sighted so I can see my opponent and his gloves, just not the detail however I wouldnt pass aba's visual acuity test. whats frustrating is I cant seen to find a reason why soft contacts would cause an issue!

I am keen to test my abilities against another person, Im at a loss to as off what to do now, should I just stick to sparring and private fights? any advice would be appreciated!
Posted by: Helen2005

Re: wearing contacts? - 01/17/08 10:41 AM

I wear contacts too and I have never been told I can't compete because of it. Although, I live in the USA and I don't think that's an issue here. My contact fell out one time while sparring. I just picked it up and popped it back in my eye and everything was fine. Sorry I can't be of further help.
Posted by: slick578

Re: wearing contacts? - 01/17/08 12:45 PM

Your lucky, It seems to be a problem in england, I cant even understand why it would be an issue thats whats frustrating!
Posted by: Cord

Re: wearing contacts? - 01/19/08 09:12 AM

well, if your optician gives their to using soft/disposable contacts, then you could always er... lie.

A little lie would be to tell the ABA that you dont wear contacts, then wear them for the acuity test, but not the fight itself.

or go the whole way and just say you have 20/20 vision and keep em in all the way through.

I wont tell, promise
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: wearing contacts? - 01/19/08 12:33 PM

E-mail the ABAE (Amateur Boxing Association of England) http://www.abae.co.uk/ and ask them to clarify their rules relating to this.

Referees are allowed to wear contacts in the ring under AIBA rules. Although not combatants, they still run the risk of getting a sock in the chops for their trouble.

The thing to remember here is that contact lense issue isn't just about your eyesight. During a bout, the referee may be required to check if you are ok to continue. Several checks will be done, such as response to verbal commands, ability to demostrate reflex on command, and visual inspection to see if you are ok.

Part of the visual inspection is to check if you have suffered any physical damage e.g. any cuts or bleeding. It also involves checking the eyes for a)swelling b) clarity. If a boxer is glassy-eyed or unable to focus, this may be down to the fact that they have sustained damage in the course of the bout which means they are unable to continue.

Contact lenses, depending on the type of lense, may alter the percievable state of the eyes. It could make a fighter appear to be more unfocused than they really are, or vice versa. If you have a swollen eye, removing the lense may be problamatic and lead to other trouble.

Something to consider. Contact the ABAE and discuss it with them directly.
Posted by: janxspirit

Re: wearing contacts? - 02/29/08 04:38 PM

Quote:

Hello to all,

Ive been boxing for around 18months now, my fitness has improved no end and ive developed a real affinity for the sport. My sparring sessions have put me against some much more experienced boxers yet ive always managed to handle the challenge, thing is my coach has asked me if I want to take part in a local comp which ive agreed to, only concern is my eyes!

I have pretty poor vision so I wear contacts whilst sparring, its never occured to me that it might be a problem until Ive read online that the aba in england doesnt allow contacts during fights. Ive sparred countless times with my soft lenses and they have never caused a problem, never fallen out or anything, My optometrist has never mentioned that its hazardous, he knows that I wear contacts for boxing, training and other sports.

I mean without contacts I can spar well, Im short sighted so I can see my opponent and his gloves, just not the detail however I wouldnt pass aba's visual acuity test. whats frustrating is I cant seen to find a reason why soft contacts would cause an issue!

I am keen to test my abilities against another person, Im at a loss to as off what to do now, should I just stick to sparring and private fights? any advice would be appreciated!

Lots of our guys wear contacts. I'm kind of freaked by out, truth be known, because it seems like their eyes might get damaged. However, there have been no problems.

Sometimes, if a guy's contacts don't fit well, they bounce out of his eyes like little frogs and we have to stop the timer and hunt around for his lens.

That just means he needs a new fitting.

Because that happens, I mention on our website that contact wearers might want to bring solution with them..