wrapping the hands

Posted by: ChangLab

wrapping the hands - 11/19/07 02:32 PM

I take MT and hit a 80Lb heavy bag at home.. My question has to do with wrapping my hands when wearing boxing gloves
16 oz I think..
what does wrapping the hands do exactly? I know it's supposed to protect the hands/wrists.
should I be wrapping my hands for class/ bagwork?
I am pretty good at not bending my wrists when hitting the bag..(when I do pushupe I do em on my knuckles weather I'm wearing gloves or not.)
Posted by: shills11

Re: wrapping the hands - 11/20/07 06:21 AM

wrap them
Posted by: General_Neo

Re: wrapping the hands - 11/21/07 04:35 AM

I suggest that you wrap them for bag work, but not in class, as if you wear them too much, it may weaken your wrist as it will become dependant on that support being there.
It is meant to be used mostly for sparring so you can get more power etc.
Hope i have helped.
Take care.
Posted by: Viator

Re: wrapping the hands - 11/21/07 03:26 PM

Wrap your hands, even if you've got naturally strong wrists. Wraps protect you from accidents that could put you out of fighting for a while, enforce proper alignment, and help brace the bones in your hand. Not to mention they help you not skin your knuckles up if you're a very strong puncher.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: wrapping the hands - 11/22/07 06:27 AM

I agree with most. Wrap your hands. Anytime you are punching wrap them. I don't really think there are any studies on the wrist starting to rely on the support from wraps. I that case your ankles would have to rely on shoes considering they are made for ankle support and balance. Plus, look on the bright side wraps are just plain cool looking period.

I have heard not to use wraps while grappling because it could hurt the circulation to your hands but I dont know know how true that is also.

Best to preserve the things your going to use the most IMO.

Brandon

New question is how are you going to wrap your hands? There are various styles.
Posted by: shills11

Re: wrapping the hands - 11/22/07 07:10 AM

Quote:

I have heard not to use wraps while grappling because it could hurt the circulation to your hands but I dont know know how true that is also.

we dont use them when clinch training, sometimes the velcro can cause nasty unintentional cuts to the face and neck!
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: wrapping the hands - 11/26/07 02:51 PM

"New question is how are you going to wrap your hands? There are various styles. "

Good question.... I'll have to ask my qualified instructor.
Someone will have to show me how to wrap them anyway..
Posted by: Dazzy

Re: wrapping the hands - 01/12/08 11:11 AM

I'd wrap them when ever training.......ever felt the tendons in your hand flex?.....painful (and sickening)!!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: wrapping the hands - 01/12/08 11:28 AM

http://boxinggyms.com/tips/handwraps.htm

http://www.ringside.com/WrapYourHands.aspx