Hitman Style

Posted by: Kirky

Hitman Style - 11/13/07 07:19 PM

I've heard of Orthodox,Unorthodox and Southpaw but never Hitman style. My cousin talks about it alot in his anime crazed so I thought it was real until he told me about A boxer named Thomas Hearns did it and some character ithe anime did it also ansd theres proof. He made me watched it but I still thought it was fake no ne could throw jabs like that. Thats was until I heard from some guys in the gym about Tommy Hearns I saw the guys mimicking some kinda position where the left their entire left open and started swing the left arm like a scythe and doing some kinda weird jab
I just wanna know who's Thomas Hearns I've heard of Ali Tyson Foreman and Sugar Ray but never Hearns and whats this hitman style
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Hitman Style - 11/14/07 12:30 AM

Quote:

I've heard of Orthodox,Unorthodox and Southpaw but never Hitman style. My cousin talks about it alot in his anime crazed so I thought it was real until he told me about A boxer named Thomas Hearns did it and some character ithe anime did it also ansd theres proof. He made me watched it but I still thought it was fake no ne could throw jabs like that. Thats was until I heard from some guys in the gym about Tommy Hearns I saw the guys mimicking some kinda position where the left their entire left open and started swing the left arm like a scythe and doing some kinda weird jab
I just wanna know who's Thomas Hearns I've heard of Ali Tyson Foreman and Sugar Ray but never Hearns and whats this hitman style

The jabs you saw being thrown in the anime are called "flicker jabs". Basically it's a jab but instead of coming from the shoulder, it's thrown out from any angle. Thomas Hearns was notorious for it if I remember correctly.

Just keep in mind that the anime exaggerates a lot of thing though.

For more about Thomas Hearns - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hearns

And you can always check out YouTube for videos. There's a lot of them on there with Thomas Hearns.

Re: Hitman Style - 11/14/07 06:50 AM

I know it exaggerates alot at first when I saw it I said No way anybody can throw punches like whips.
So thats Thomas Hearns eh he sounds like a freak of nature destructive punching power, exceptional height and unusually long arms. I noticed something from the video though throws jab at an angle inhat lowerd position won't that put a little hurting on the joints or arm?
Posted by: shills11

Re: Hitman Style - 11/14/07 08:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHSHd1xfpY

Hearns V Hagler I dont remember EVER seing a first round like this
Posted by: Cord

Re: Hitman Style - 11/14/07 11:26 AM

Quote:

Who is Thomas Hearns? WHO IS THOMAS HEARNS?!?! Good grief, what is the youth of today coming to?

Thomas Hearns was involved, along with Roberto Duran, sugar Ray Leonard, and Marvin Hagler, in arguably the greatest era in boxing history. They certainly further defined the concept of the 'superfight', and raied public interest in boxing to a point not seen since Ali's hayday.

Hearns was the last of the 4 to retire, having captured, and i beleieve held simultaneously, world titles at 5 weights!

There is no 'hitman' style. Thomas 'The hitman' Hearns often held his lead hand low and tucked his chin behind his shoulder. He was not the first, or last to do this. Ali used this tactic from time to time, Naseem Hamed always used it, David Haye and Carl Froche are current exponents of the style.
the idea behind it is to offer an inviting target to your oponent, and having drawn them into attack, you slip and counter as they compromise their defence in the attack.
Its all well and good if you have lightning reflexes and impeccable footwork, but if you lack even the slightest in either, then you are just setting yourself up to develop a bad speech impediment by your 8th defeat.

Everyone who has used this tactic has come unstuck, no matter how skilled. Hamed got schooled by a very orthodox Barrera, Haye had to pick himself up off the canvas twice last weekend before coming back to win the cruiser weight title, and we all know that Ali was no stranger to the canvas either.

Forget anime- anime doesnt protect your chin, anime doesnt bleed, anime doesnt loose teeth. If you are going to box, box properly, get experience and find your own style as you develop.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Hitman Style - 11/14/07 01:21 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHSHd1xfpY

Hearns V Hagler I dont remember EVER seing a first round like this

Great stuff! Lots of action.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Hitman Style - 11/14/07 04:23 PM

Quote:

Who is Thomas Hearns? WHO IS THOMAS HEARNS?!?! Good grief, what is the youth of today coming to?

If you think that's bad... about 10 years ago my TKD instructor told the teenagers they should move like Muhammed Ali. Blank expressions all around!

Re: Hitman Style - 11/14/07 05:13 PM

Sorry man but I only know about few boxers but never heard Marvin Hagler.

Forget anime- anime doesn't protect your chin, anime doesn't bleed, anime doesn't loose teeth. If you are going to box, box properly, get experience and find your own style as you develop.

I'm starting to realize my IQ on boxing history is low but your right no style like your style but forever stuck with my right hand its like no matter how hard I train it it won't punch good my coach keeps telling me its too light it'll do no good in a fight and opponent would just shrug it off and beat me so he told me to keep using my usual style at least i learn a couple things from this it made me know boxing history and now i know about a couple of fighters
I know this might sound ridiculous but I've heard of sugar Ray Robinson but now I'm just finding out about Leonard. Well thank you

Re: Hitman Style - 11/15/07 08:46 AM

Kirky, dont despair, you are young, and have plenty of time for your power to develop as you mature.

Put this dvd on your xmas list : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabulous-Four-Fe...4061&sr=8-2

and your Boxing history IQ will improve dramaticaly
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Hitman Style - 11/15/07 09:22 AM

Simply watching the falling link will improve your IQ by 50 points. One my all time fav's. Mr Hagler Vs Mr Hearns...ding ding and let loose the dogs of war!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHSHd1xfpY

Re: Hitman Style - 11/15/07 09:54 AM

Quote:

Simply watching the falling link will improve your IQ by 50 points. One my all time fav's. Mr Hagler Vs Mr Hearns...ding ding and let loose the dogs of war!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHSHd1xfpY

I cant watch footage of these fights without seeing it as a child sat with my dad shouting at the telly. Big fights were awesome in our house- I was aloud to stay up however late was necessary, and I was even given beer! What is amazing is that even without the veneer of nostalgia, these fights are incredible, it is a real privelidge to watch them.

In my mind, this is how I see Hatton vs Mayweather going. Working off the backfoot can only work for so long when you are being swarmed like that, and Pretty boy is selling Hattons skills very short in the run up to their fight- could cost him dear (I hope)
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Hitman Style - 11/15/07 10:29 AM

These fights, Kung Fu and Bruce Lee movies were "required" watching in my young childhood! I remember when I started kick boxing I used to emulate Hagglers stance swapping much to the annoyance of my Instructor. I remember saying to my rather blunt instructor after being pulled up on it, well more for keep eating jabs when I tried it, "I was watching Marvin Haggler do it on video!". He's response was, "He's black and can box, you're white and can't. Left or right, pick one!"

I think Hatton is going to end up with a very very messy face, but I'm predicting he's going to walk through everything Mayweather has throw and drop more bombs than he can handle. I see a long fight, Mayweather taking the early rounds with Hatton punishing him for every round he takes and taking a victory in the latter rounds. T'is going to be a cracking fight!

Re: Hitman Style - 11/16/07 07:27 PM

Man those guys are amazing I've never seen fighters go toe to toe like that before
Posted by: shills11

Re: Hitman Style - 11/17/07 07:53 AM

I'm surprised the fight lasted as long as it did!

Re: Hitman Style - 11/17/07 12:57 PM

Quote:

Man those guys are amazing I've never seen fighters go toe to toe like that before

All the Hagler/hearns/Leonard/Duran fights were remarkable.

You should also look up Morales vs Barrera 1 (they fought 3 times) that was the same intensity, but for 12 full rounds