Amateur boxing or kickboxing...

Posted by: Eveal

Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 10/11/07 07:02 AM

I am 26 and looking to break into some amateur boxing, kickboxing and then hopefully MMA matches. I am just looking for some tips that will help me along my way. Also, how do I go about getting my school registered as a certified or registered boxing/ kickboxing school. I live in NC if this helps any. Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 10/11/07 07:05 AM

Excuse me, what is the question at hand beside how you get certified and register your school?

-Taison out

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 10/11/07 07:24 AM

Sorry its abit early in the morning here. What are some things I should do to prepare for an amateur match? How much time should I take in preparing for it? I have more questions but lets start at these.
Posted by: shills11

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 10/11/07 08:27 AM

What experience do you have allready? How Physicaly fit are you just now?

If you are new to the sport it could take years to have any success in the ring and if your looking for something to work on the possibilities are endless for a beginer.

Do you have a coach?
Posted by: shills11

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 10/11/07 08:30 AM

also before you go into any MMA you should consider being very well versed in a grappling art such as BJJ or wrestling
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 10/11/07 11:41 AM

Preparing for a amateur boxing bout can take a while, expecially as you are 26. Due to your age, most of the people you will be in against will have at least some boxing experience, so it will take a while to get ready. I don't like giving a figure out because everyone is different, but I would suggest at least 6-12 months.

If you are serious about opening a gym, you will need to get a green light from USA Boxing, the governing body for all amateur boxing in the USA.

It came up in another post a long time ago, but any amateur boxing matches not sanctioned by USA Boxing in the USA are illegal. I imagine that goes doubly so for anyone trying to run gym. So check with them!!

http://www.usaboxing.org/90.htm

The best person for more detailed advice would be the North Carolina area rep listed here.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 10/12/07 01:56 AM

Shills,

Eveal is quite physically fit. Actually, physically, I'd think he's able to compete in boxing or any other sport.

Technique wise however;

Eveal, seeing from your videos, I'd say you will need a lot of time to prepare for amateur boxing. Your boxing style, is more or less professional styled as in you hit to hurt. In amateur boxing, you just need to hit, it doesn't matter if it hurts or not, you just need to hit, even if it's a sloppy technique which couldn't knock out a fly, it will score.

Kickboxing. Seeing as you have a lot of background in boxing, going into kickboxing won't be much of a pain to be honest. Just need to learn how to do a few kicks, concentrate on leg kicks and checking with the front thrust, and then depending on the type of kickboxing style maybe work the clinch a bit. When it comes to competition, I'd highly advice you to work using your fists because you're really an ace with them. Stay inside, and if they persist on being on the outside, kick their legs and move in. As for punching vs kicking, if they kick, move in and batter them with your punches.

MMA; Go to the nearest grappling gym, work how to do takedowns and a few basic locks. But most importantly, seeing how you're a predominantly a striker, learn how to shift from position to position where you could strike from. Look at Crocop, he learnt only how to hold his own in grappling, no submission whatsoever, only how to sprawl, move from positions to positions, escape and then he just ground 'n pounds his way to victory if people take him down.

Other than that:- I can't think anymore. I'll update as things pop into my head.

-Taison out

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 11/21/07 09:19 AM

Thanks for the tips Taison.

I have been away and just recently read the post. Martial arts is a passion for me. I train informally without a coach because I just dont have many choices in coaches that I like around here. I recently opened my own gym "Fight Science MMA Academy" I have some help with a wrestling/Bjj coach who has been in the game for over 20 years of grappling. I use my theories and training for the boxing/MT and karate background that I have plus I personal trained for over 3 years. I will put some videos up of training in the future.

I have trained informally at a credited MT school but I really didnt gain to much from it but the basic techniques and implemetned it into my boxing/karate that I was taking. I have around 5+ years of boxing training under my belt but I never fought only trained with a coach for a year and without for the rest but I study also finding various ways to better my fighting.

I have a few dedicated training partners and friends that help me with my training so I am able to work on various things but I dont have all the answers so I come to this community to get more knowledge.

Brandon

Thanks again!
Posted by: lopezma

Re: Amateur boxing or kickboxing... - 12/17/07 02:29 AM

Eveal,
Go to ISCFMMA and if you need more help, send me a private message and I will do what I can to help you!