Strengthening my body for Boxing?

Posted by: MarkW

Strengthening my body for Boxing? - 08/28/07 11:16 AM

G'day,

Well I'm doing Boxing now, and enjoying it immensely I might add. However there is one aspect I definitely want to improve on: my body strength.

So I would like some advice on good exercises I can do to improve my strength. I'm looking to improve all parts of my body - but mainly my arms and upper body. I'd prefer exercises that don't need expensive equipment to work properly.

In case you need more info I'm 20 years old, 72-75kg at the moment, and 6'1" tall. I'm also ectomorphic in shape, I'll take a photo of myself tomorrow and post it here to show you what I mean.

Alrighty, all advice appreciated...but keep it clean. Or I'll come over to your house and rough you up.

Haha, just kidding. But seriously - keep it clean or you'll get roughed up.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Strengthening my body for Boxing? - 08/28/07 11:19 AM

Heavy bag is going to be your best friend, IMHO.
Posted by: Viator

Re: Strengthening my body for Boxing? - 08/29/07 01:53 PM

Look at the muay thai strength thread. Most of that is applicable to you too. Honestly, your upper body just isn't super important to boxing strength. Technique always counts more of course, but rotational strength and strength in the legs is more important than your bench numbers.

There's a lovely thread in the strength forum about bodyweight excercises. I'd also recommend "Never Gymless" by ross enamait, or pretty much anything Ross has ever put on his site, though he's a bit more conditioning focused. The only thing you really need that is hard to make yourself is a squat rack though. There's no real substatute for the squat that you can do with bodyweight.