Maccarinelli- wow!

Posted by: Supremor

Maccarinelli- wow! - 07/22/07 06:25 AM

Did anyone see the Enzo Maccarinelli vs. Wayne Braithwaite last night? I tell you, anyone but Braithwaite would have been out cold by the end of that 9th round- What a sweet uppercut! An absolutely dominating performance from Mac, he really showed just how good a boxer he's become, which makes his heavy hands all the more dangerous. And his stamina was great too, consistently outworking Braithwaite.

Yesterday was a great day for British boxing, Mac defended his title and Britain won two new world titles. I was particularly impressed by Alex Arthur who fought a very good opponent and despite struggling early, got a stoppage. Enzo Calzaghe is doing a superb job. The number of great fighters coming from his camp is extraordinary.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Maccarinelli- wow! - 07/22/07 01:06 PM

Agreed. We will only ever see Haye vs Mac if Mac follows him up to heavyweight. I think Haye is very sensible to avoid him at Cruiserweight, its a war that neither need, and its much better for British boxing if they engineer it so they are both the top of different trees, so to speak.

Enzo Calzaghe is old school. He is turning out proper pugilists, with proper skills and remarkable stamina. The only stumble recently was Gammer coming in too heavy against Williams, but they were expecting 20 stone-has been-fat-Danny, not 16 stone-career best shape out of nowhere-Danny.
All the Calzaghe team fighters have been taught that the jab is the greatest weapon a boxer has if it can be thrown well and all fight long, and all of them are happy to work the body, not headhunt. In short, a tiny prefab hut in the welsh valleys may well be the last haven of real boxing left in the world. Being Welsh myself, my opinion may be biased however
I am going to be at the millenium stadium for Calzaghe vs Kessler, and i cant wait
Posted by: Taison

Re: Maccarinelli- wow! - 07/22/07 01:48 PM

It's not biased.

Nowadays, most boxing camps in the US, Asia and the rest of the Latin world is so fixated with headshots, they'll teach their boxers to do just about anything to get a headshot. I think the British Isles may be the only last haven of proper boxing.

-Taison out
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Maccarinelli- wow! - 07/22/07 04:02 PM

Quote:

I am going to be at the millenium stadium for Calzaghe vs Kessler, and i cant wait

Nice one! They said on ITV boxing that Big-Mac was going to be on the under card for the fight, so you'll get to see both of them, barring injuries!

I think you make a good point about body shots. One of the best knockouts I've seen on ESPN was when one of the Peterson brothers got a sweet hook to the body which completely flattened his opponent.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Maccarinelli- wow! - 07/22/07 05:58 PM

And Hatton broke 4 of castillo's ribs in their recent fight, leading to a 4th round stopage with a sweet shot to the floating rib.