Muay Thai strength builders

Posted by: new2mt

Muay Thai strength builders - 07/20/07 03:26 AM

Hello everyone,

Can someone please tell me some bodyweight exercises which I can do at home that are complimentary to Thai boxing?

Thank you
Posted by: shills11

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 07/20/07 10:09 AM

Our coach seems to love all forms of press-ups especially Push-clap or push and slapping your thighs (or even clapping behing your back!) and he mixes them up with normal,narrow,wide and offset grip press ups the push-clap e.t.c are especially good as they help build trully explosive punching power, For your legs he always has us doing jumping rotational squats which involve jumping from the squat position and rotating 180 degrees into another squat and so on and so on, this agin helps with your explosive cardio and power, he also for some reason has us doing a rediculous amount of burpees for the same reasons - i think
Posted by: badeofblade

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 07/20/07 02:26 PM

I'd say, get a wooden post or a sturdy bed post, and shinkick the hell outta it...
Also, Muay Thai uses the core muscles alot, so crunches, and diagnal crunches especially, are very useful. Also do lateral crunches to compliment it... (lay on your stomach and do a backwards sort of crunch, raising your head and upper body back as far as you can.)
If my instructions aren't too clear, sorry, I'm bad at explaining things
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 07/20/07 03:45 PM

Quote:

I'd say, get a wooden post or a sturdy bed post, and shinkick the hell outta it...

That is incredibly stupid advice. Do NOT do that. Kicking pads or heavy bags is plenty.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 07/20/07 07:29 PM

Agree with MattJ, that's just stupid. You do that, you might as well amputate your leg and use it as weapon.

-Taison out
Posted by: yuanofkienninja

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 08/23/07 12:20 AM

How the HELL did this thai boxers kick trees with their shins crap get started? It's been around for years and I am sooo tired of hearing about it. Modern methods are indeed just thai pads and bag work. GRARRRR and stuff!

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 08/23/07 05:51 AM

They did Kick trees back in the day, but only banana ones there actualy quite soft
Posted by: Helen2005

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 08/23/07 09:37 AM

One guy that I know that used to kickbox broke his shin during a fight; went shin to shin with a guy and he didn't win. He told me to use a glass bottle and roll it up and down my shins. Start out applying just a little pressure, just to the point of hurting that I can tolerate. He said to do this often. Has anyone heard of this strategy for hardening your shins? He did screw up his shin, so I'm wondering if this is sound advice.

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 08/23/07 09:41 AM

http://www.singto.co.uk/Myths/Myths.htm

I have taken these from the link above incase some of you have problems getting it to work, I hope this is relevant

Myth -Thai Boxers deaden the nerves in their shins by rolling a glass bottle up and down on their legs.
Fact - this is completely false and should not be practiced by anyone. The so called deadening of the nerves (or worse removing of the nerves) is simply not true. Nak Muay spend hundreds of hours doing repetitive kicks on heavy bags, pads and nearly as many hours sparring with a partner. This repetitive training familarise the boxer with pain, and raises their pain threshold in any one particular area (i.e. the shin). This in turn may give a sense that the nerves are deadened, they are not, they are simply a little dormant. Stay away from training for a long period of time, and see how your pain threshold will have dropped when you next clash shins.

Myth - Thai Boxers harden their shins by bashing their shins with a rolling pin.

Fact - this is completely false and should not be practiced by anyone. Although shins seem hard, they are living tissue and will give a little under impact. However rolling pins are very solid and give very little in way of leeway, so continuously hitting your shins with a rolling pin will cause them to become traumatised, resulting in possible non reservable damage such as cancer.

Myth - Thai Boxing can give you cancer of the shin.
Fact - this is completely false and although the continued improper bruising and damaging of the shin may in the long term cause cancer (see above), correct training methods and proper conditioning will reduce or eliminate this myth completely.

One thing that we can not be certain of is the future of one's body, as there are far to many possibilities, such as contagious and hereditary diseases, however we can reduce the risk of any additional un-reversable damage to the body by training safely!
Posted by: Helen2005

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 08/23/07 10:00 AM

Wow....this is great info! Thanks!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 08/23/07 04:05 PM

Quote:

http://www.singto.co.uk/Myths/Myths.htm

I have taken these from the link above incase some of you have problems getting it to work, I hope this is relevant

Heh, that is my local MT club, and i have trained there- superb place and a very good instructor. Its a small world wide web

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 08/28/07 11:58 AM

thats crazy i just randomley found that site one day and instantley liked it its a great resource, must be a good gym
Posted by: Momath

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/06/07 05:08 PM

Guys, how about a comprenhensive list of weight training exercises to complement my Muay Thai training? I train 3 times a week (1.5 hours each) so I think I am able to weight train twice a week. Any info on what has worked for you or how you currently train would be of great help.

Thanks

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/07/07 01:53 AM

Go to the strengthening forum and search around there for information. Great tips and advice over there.

-Taison out
Posted by: Momath

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/07/07 02:26 PM

Cheers bro

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/10/07 10:04 AM

Never actually felt the need to use weights, i know that the science behind weight lifting for strength is very advanced now but still havent found the urge to start hitting the weights, I'm naturally quite big at 6'3 and 95 kilos and i train 5 nights a week with lots of floor exercises/plyometrics for strength building.

Muhamad Ali never used weifghts but mind you muhamad ali wasnt kicking anybody or clinching (Not legally Anyway)

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/11/07 01:29 AM

Muhammad Ali was a black belt TKD practitioner, mind you.

He had great abs developed from kicking. Not sure if he could, but I think he could do the splits.

-Taison out

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/11/07 04:13 AM

You learn something new every day!, maybe the TKD helped give him that exceptional footwork

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/11/07 05:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29qI1GyhDeg&mode=related&search=inoki

you got me thinking taison and i found this link (is you tube still band in thailand?) i'm sorry if it is but i couldnt find it elsewhere.

Its Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki - 1976 (you've probably seen this before anyway) i think Ali did a lot of TKD for this fight.

It was a bit of a farse really

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 10/11/07 05:38 AM

No.

He had his great footwork before he started training TKD under, I think it was Jhoon Ree. Anyway, he learnt that balance from great legs lended a lot of power to your punches. Also, coming from personal experiences, the torquing of your hips used much in TKD can be used with great effect in boxing for hooks and crosses, maybe something Ali picked up, but I'm not sure. It's just all speculations.

-Taison out
Posted by: fallen

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 02/26/08 11:42 AM

squats/squated duck walking improve your thigh muscles, push-ups arms, crunches your abs, jogging your stamina and weight and streanthen your knees, shadow boxing your back and rest of your body, pull ups arms, back, abs,, vertical plank, your sides and abs, and whacken it your wrists, just dont slip and hit your forhead or it will have a negative affect
hahahaha jk good luck!
Posted by: Rayson

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 04/07/08 01:42 AM

rossboxing.com
That sight is devoted to combat athletes like yourself. Galore of information about exercises you could do.
Hm...bodyweight exercises I would recomend: (I dont do MT but I do workout alot)
Pushups (specially one arm)
one leg sqats
jump rope
burpees
polymetrics

Good luck.
Posted by: Jer_sm

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 04/08/08 09:46 PM

Alright here is my advice to you.
You cant train to be a muay thai with weights. Doing weights is simply to get stronger, witch is important beacause in this combat sport you basically use every muscle eventually in the match. So you shouldn't really just target certain muscles like always do push ups constantly. Get a all around good strong body legs arms etc by training every muscle.

If you want exercises to get a more powerfull kick lets say. Well to learn to kick you need to kick over and over. If you want to train for muay thai you need to do muay thai, constantly. Get a heavy bag speed bag refelx bag slip bag even! Get them boxing gloves on and jab, right,hook, round house, clintch, knee the bag etc. Do them with the best technique possible and as explosive as you can. THEN lets get some sparring and some pad work in to get acutal muay thai experience... you will improve waaaay faster, trust me .

I also recomend doing plyometrics idealy targeting spinning of the torso, arms, legs/feet to develope your speed strenght to add to the tranining that you get maximum streght.

and YEAH its all about technique, ALWAYS practice propper technique to develope muscle memory doing,so you do the right thing every time you strike. awlays KO POWER
Posted by: preangel

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 05/04/08 12:45 AM

most everyone has said to incorporate sparring to the workout but are you saying to spar within muay thai or is it good/ok to spar rounds against other practices/arts like karate or jujitsu??
Posted by: Cord

Re: Muay Thai strength builders - 05/07/08 05:50 AM

Muay Thai, Savate, BJJ, TKD, Lau-Gar, Greco, I dont care, if you fight, you would do well to consider the points and principles in this link:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/7_steps_to_a_balanced_fighter

NB. T-nation and biotest are linked. Whilst the info in this article is superb, the supplement suggestion plan at the end is biased towards their products, and should be viewed in a different light to the main body of the article.