Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand?

Posted by: MarkW

Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/13/07 12:02 PM

Hey,

I just started Kyukoshin Karate recently and its great. I'm thinking of buying a pair of boxing gloves and some kind of boxing bag. I've looked at a few gloves, and Everlast look to be a good brand, however I'm not very experienced in boxing so I'm not sure.

If I was to buy some gloves, what would be a trusted brand that you guys recommend? I'm willing to fork out cash as long as the glove is quality made and durable.

Osu!
Mark
Posted by: mwmanvt

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/13/07 03:26 PM

Everlast is a great brand

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/14/07 01:17 AM

Also, whats the difference between boxing, bag, and training gloves?

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/21/07 08:52 PM

I saw a pair of gloves that I'm thinking of buying - Madison 12oz training gloves, $65 for the pair.

Are madison a good brand, and would these gloves be good for use on a heavy bag. Thanks for anyones help.
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/21/07 09:12 PM

Quote:

Also, whats the difference between boxing, bag, and training gloves?

Bag gloves have more padding over your knuckles and fingers to help minimize injury.

The main difference between training gloves and professional boxing gloves is the weight/volume (the more it weighs, the more padding/material there is). Training gloves weigh more than professional boxing gloves and are primarily used in sparring and amateur boxing.

Quote:

I saw a pair of gloves that I'm thinking of buying - Madison 12oz training gloves, $65 for the pair.

Are madison a good brand, and would these gloves be good for use on a heavy bag. Thanks for anyones help.

For a heavy bag, you want to use bag gloves.

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/22/07 05:01 AM

what about a soft bag? Does it matter?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/22/07 08:06 AM

Quote:

Get a bag and fill it with rags. This will ultimately be much better on your shoulders than a hard bag filled with sand.

-John
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/22/07 02:18 PM

Quote:

If you're referring to a speed bag, then you don't really need to use gloves. However you should still wrap up your hands to minimize injury.
Posted by: Viator

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/24/07 11:06 PM

If you're planning on sparring your friends any with those gloves you probably need sometihng heavier than 12 ounces.

Re: Buying Boxing Gear - Glove Brand? - 06/30/07 07:14 AM

Ok, I've seen a pair of gloves I'm seriously considering buying.

Team Fenech (Jeff) brand 12oz weighted bag mitts. $50. Anyone ever used Fenech's gloves before, and if so are they any good?