boxing/kickboxing-MMA

Posted by: danny81

boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/27/07 08:09 PM

i want to start doing MMA but I want to transfer my boxing and kickboxing into MMA. the main differences i can see are that you can break your hand if you punch. will this make a big difference or are your wrists strong enuff? 2 you cant do a classic boxing cover up how do you do an MMA cover up?
Posted by: Leonine

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 02:14 AM

an mma cover-up? there isn't one really, you can do the boxing cover up, but you're just gonna get punched out or taken down (that means you tito!). In terms of your own defense, if you're being outstruck or eating some good combinations in mma, it's time to shoot.
Posted by: matxtx

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 07:40 AM

Concerning hand breaking,it will happen in street situations too.The secret is not to go for the big hard shot.Not only will it break your hand but if you miss your off balance and out of position maybe..maybe you accidently hit a wall or object..owch
Better to do lots of shorter stunning shots that keep you in position and balanced and let the accumilation of them all stun your opponent enough to then finish it with whatever..clinch and knee/elbow..slam them down...maybe now a bigger finishing shot..whatever.Also you will be in a better position still to defend from there attemps to takedown,clinch or whatever as you punch.
Thats what iv been shown and works well.Its one way.

One defence against punching is to quickly get in and clinch and tie up.So its covering and going in.Be quick!Go from there.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 07:51 AM

You're wearing smaller gloves which mean that you don't have to throw quite as hard as you would using heavier gloves to achieve a knock-out. Accuracy is important as well.

As far as covering up goes, people do it all the time. The problem Tito had was that he essentially became a human heavy-bag and stood still to allow Chuck to whale on him.

Defense means, footwork, creating distance shooting and/or clinching up when your opponent is throwing aggressively and you can't create distance.

-John

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 02:49 PM

oo thanks guys. i read somewhere that instead of coverig up with the forearms u cover up with the elbows, but shooting and clincihng is definetly beetter. as for the punching you said no strong punches. does that mean when throing hooks, crosses, uppercuts, and such should i not transfer weight and turn my feet? and not step into my jab? or just no haymakers? also im guessing it is mor important where you hit like aim for the eye, nose, mouth, and chin. and not places like the forehead.
Posted by: Leonine

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 06:00 PM

no no, you still throw the power shots, only you have to train to keep that wrist and fist as tight as possible. Try hitting the heavy bag a few times with mma gloves on, you'll notice your wrist hurts, then hit it while keeping everything tight. still hurts a bit, but less so, that's what you need to do (don't keep hitting the heavy bag with mma gloves, a person's body has quite a bit more give than that does).

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 06:05 PM

lol. alright i guess i will do the majority of my training with my boxing gloves but do a little with jus MMA glovs on.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 08:40 PM

Right...

I didn't mean NO powerful shots. I was just making a point that because the gloves are lighter, there is less shock absorption by the gloves themselves.

Train with smaller gloves if you're going to be fighting with smaller gloves. Just don't kill your partners.

-John

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/28/07 11:22 PM

lol. alright.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 05/30/07 04:22 PM

Also when you do MMA do you keep your hands loose or tight? and can you block jabs in mma with your palms since the gloves are so much smaller?

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/02/07 05:29 PM

alright last night i came up with a list of where to hit in ufc with dif punches what do you think?
Jab: face(best area is nose, eyes, chin) groin, chest, solar plexus, stomach
cross: face(best area is nose, eyes, chin), chest, solar plexus, stomach, groin
Hook: side head(eespecially temple and side of jaw, kidney, ribs(especially floating ribs)
uppercut: face, chin, stomach, solar plexus, ribs, chest
shovel hook: ribs, liver, side of face?? i need help with places for this

is forehead to hard or top of head to hard?
i also thought of roundhouse i will think of more later
round house is to the outside or inside thigh, calf, back of knee, side of lower leg, ribs, head
add in your opinions for punches and kicks
Posted by: Taison

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/02/07 11:18 PM

Quote:

shovel hook: ribs, liver, side of face??

How in the nine hells do you hit someone with a shovel hook to the side of the face?? Do you even know what a shovel hook looks like??

Danny, get some qualified instruction before thinking of branching out to MMA. Stick to boxing if you're going to box. Stick to kickboxing if you're going to kickbox. Methinks, it's a bit too early for you to branch out.

-Taison out
Posted by: crablord

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/02/07 11:56 PM

FINISH HIM!

Quote:

Do you even know what a shovel hook looks like??

LOLTALITY

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/03/07 12:55 AM

i do. BTW i do have a trainer teaching me. but is this correct now? Jab: face(best area is nose, eyes, chin) groin, chest, solar plexus, stomach
Hook: side head(eespecially temple and side of jaw, kidney, ribs(especially floating ribs)
shovel hook: ribs, liver, spleen.i need help with places for this

round house is to the outside or inside thigh, calf, back of knee, side of lower leg, ribs, head

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/03/07 02:24 PM

Danny,

Quote:

i do.

Lies.

A shovel hooks, is basically a hook/uppercut hybrid which is more or less 3/4 of an uppercut. Hence, you're not able to hit anything from the side. The only way a shovel hook goes, is up much like an uppercut. The only difference between the shovel hook and uppercut is that when thrown the SH has the exact same mechanics like a hook, in that the arm is bent 90 degree parallel to the floor, and it's power is generated like a hook, with the twirl of your shoulder and hips. Hence as you can see, it's basically a hook thrown vertically instead of horizontally.

Quote:

Jab: face(best area is nose, eyes, chin) groin, chest, solar plexus, stomach
shovel hook: ribs, liver, spleen.i need help with places for this

What do you have a teacher for?

Quote:

BTW i do have a trainer teaching me

Like I said, what's he there for?

Learn your basics, then when you can hold your own then we'll talk. Ok?

-Taison out

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/03/07 04:24 PM

yah i have been boxing for about 6 months so far and i recently started kickboxing and am about to start wrestling soon

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/04/07 03:53 PM

is the forehead or top of head to hard to punch?

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/05/07 10:33 AM

not if you have gloves.

if its a streetfight then who gives a rats about your hands.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/05/07 10:50 AM

Danny, try hitting something with your forehead. Should answer a few questions.

-Taison out

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/05/07 04:05 PM

alright i will stay away from forehed punchs

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/06/07 11:13 AM

Man, you're quite bright to be honest. You've got some potential.

I was expecting more along the line "Why would I headbutt something for??! We's talkin' 'bout fore'ed punchess !!! 111 one one shift 111"

Anyway, foreheads are one of the hardest part in the human anatomy. The reason? Our central 'computers' are just right there behind that big thick skull of yours. So don't go hittin' that big noggin' of yours on something. It's not worth it.

-Taison out

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/06/07 11:23 AM

unless your at a party and have friends to impress.

*looks at cuts from stick on forehead.

totally worth it

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/06/07 11:32 AM

Quote:

*looks at cuts from stick on forehead.

Quote:

Included symptom are brain-numbness, loss of memory, stupidity and lowered IQ

Yup... well worth it.

-Taison out

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/06/07 11:36 AM

my iq is 140.

cant say the same for my memory and stupidity, but screw it.
Posted by: Viator

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/06/07 08:36 PM

The main problem with transfering your boxing skills to MMA is going to be the basic non-existance of the pocket. The pocket is just beautiful shooting range. MMA striking is more defensive and ranged overall thanks to the shoot and to the clinch.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/06/07 09:54 PM

well i recently started wrestling so i kindof know how close you need to be to be able to shoot and be shot at.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/06/07 09:57 PM

Like my master said about MMA;

If you're not grappling, you better be boxing 'smart' from afar. If you close the gap, you better be grappling, or you're (cenzored).

Basically, boxing is good workout for your hands, but there are some things you can pretty much not consider taking into MMA, for example, the clinch work and much of in-fighting because if you're close you're better off grappling than striking. Sure, boxing's defensive maneuvres like bob and weave are still viable, but only from long-range, if you do it and then suddenly get kneed in the face, don't say I didn't warn you.

-Taison out

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/07/07 04:27 PM

alright. I understand.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/07/07 10:27 PM

Quote:

well i recently started wrestling so i kindof know how close you need to be to be able to shoot and be shot at.

That my friend, takes months, not days to learn. Everyone is different, and each person, each opponent has different ranges.

Never think you know something when you've only recently started. It will affect your ego when you're come to a block where you're thinking "What am I doing wrong??" and many have dropped out because they behaved exactly like you. Thinking that just because they only recently started, they've got the skills. Nope, far from that. It takes months, years to acquire "experience" not techniques. Your technique may be flawless, but experience will overcome in the end. You, have no experience, so there's no reason whatsoever that you know each and every person's shooting range.

Quote:

Chinese Idiom - Know your opponent, and know yourself. Fight 100 times, win 100 times.

Know yourself, but not know your opponent. Fight 100 times, lose 50 times.

Know not yourself, and not know your opponent. Fight 100 times, get owned in da face 100 times.

Ok, I altered the ending a bit. So what?

-Taison out

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/08/07 02:24 AM

lol.

owned in da face.

Posted by: TroTro

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/08/07 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chinese Idiom - Know your opponent, and know yourself. Fight 100 times, win 100 times.

Know yourself, but not know your opponent. Fight 100 times, lose 50 times.

Know not yourself, and not know your opponent. Fight 100 times, get owned in da face 100 times.

Ok, I altered the ending a bit. So what?

-Taison out

Man, your altered version the passage from The Art of War is awesome

May I use it as my signature?

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/08/07 04:03 PM

sorry. I know i am not good enuff to be able to judge someones shooting range yet. what i meant was later on i will be good enuff to use my wrestling.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/11/07 07:16 PM

so as for the typical boxing clinch that is out and so is infighting, but what about body shots?
Posted by: Viator

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/14/07 09:44 AM

Quote:

so as for the typical boxing clinch that is out and so is infighting, but what about body shots?

Knees are more effective if you want to deliver hits in the clinch since they leave your hands up to help control your opponent, and they're stronger. In MMA the clinch becomes a worry for pure standup fighters because any Greco wrestler or judoka that gets you there is going to toss you all over the place.

Wait, you're asking about hitting to the body. You don't see them quite as much during standing, especially with the hands, because there are stronger hits to work with, and the matches don't last as long as they do in boxing, so there's less pay off. The liver is still a viable target though, and plenty of fights have been won off liver shots. Thai kicks to the ribs and knees from sidemount ftw.

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/14/07 08:04 PM

o alright. good adviccd

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/14/07 10:57 PM

Body shots (via punching) also force you to be in closer to your opponent. When you're close enough to throw those, you're close enough to be tied up in the clinch.

Knees to the body are great however.

-John

Re: boxing/kickboxing-MMA - 06/15/07 01:53 PM

yah. im sure body shtos have there place at some time but most of the time just grapple right?