me on the bag...

Posted by: ashe_higgs

me on the bag... - 05/18/07 03:17 AM

just thought i'd throw this up for the hell of it.

this is just the last minute and a half or so of a 15 min workout on the bag.

a) it was around 100º F so sorry for the lack of a shirt. maybe i should stop eating Twinkies on the weekends.

b) my bag is A BRICK at the bottom so i know the front kicks are lame.

c) i know i keep a loose guard, i'm not really concerned about it. my guard is really in the sticky hand method, so i just use the bag for power and some footwork, etc.

other than that, pointers are always welcome!
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: me on the bag... - 05/18/07 09:52 AM

Im no kung fu expert but from what you can see it looks like your footwork needs improving especially when circling the bag and striking.
Posted by: Cord

Re: me on the bag... - 05/18/07 11:23 AM

Ashe, I have zero experience of Kung Fu, so can only come at a critique from the angle of a boxer/kickboxer- I am not sure that would be fair or usefull to you, so I will ask some questions instead

1. You stand very 'square on' with little head and torso mobility- is this related to 'sticky hands' and the inherent nature of your art?

2. You do not seem to engage the hips/core in your strikes, they seem to come from your shoulders/arms- is that particular to your art, or are you using your biomechanics inherent in your kung fu resulting in the visible signs of said power generation being different to traditional hip/core engagement associated with western boxing?

You still look like Tank Abbott (in the face, not the gut )
Posted by: Taison

Re: me on the bag... - 05/18/07 11:52 AM

Could you maybe put it up on video.google?

As of April 3rd, The ministry of communication and technology has blocked www.youtube.com in Thailand, so I can't view youtube.com at all.

Put that's only if you want me to check out your moves

-Taison out
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: me on the bag... - 05/18/07 11:59 AM

i bet you'd like to meet the moron that caused the ban/insulting the king--what an a**hole

Re: me on the bag... - 05/18/07 03:02 PM

cord, i do use my hips but the movement is smaller for us, because we want to stay within what we call "the limit of strength" which goes back to the sticky hand method.

for instance the pivot on the ball and more obvious hip movement in a classic hook is all way past the limit.

that being said i could use more hips than i do.

how bout photobucket?

Re: me on the bag... - 05/18/07 04:59 PM

Thaison, the photobucket link is for you.

Cord, maybe you could checkout these clips to get a better idea of how how Shen Fa works (body method);

free flow spinning hands on photobucket just for you Thaison.

BTW- Thaison, my Sifu will be in Thailand in August if you want to try and meet him.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: me on the bag... - 05/18/07 05:24 PM

I don't understand it at all, but it looks interesting. How does sticky hands go against someone who doesn't "play along"?

Forgive the ignorant question, but from that open stance, why not just groin kick and end it in an SD situation?

I'll have to find a school to go visit.

Re: me on the bag... - 05/19/07 01:49 AM

Ashe,

I have to say that you've got a lot of power coming from nowhere, and I still can't figure out how you generate it. Maybe you're quite good at arm-wrestling?

Other than that, maybe you could add a little more power into your punches by twirling your shoulder a bit when you do deliver the punch as I saw your shoulders being quite stationary.

As for hips, you could add a bit more hip motion, but I would fear it would actually decrease "sticky hand' application. Basically, by increasing power you lose control, by increasing control you lose power. But overall very nice.

As for your kicks, that's where the hips comes in. If you don't include more hip motion, the momentum will be less and thus it will lack power. Unlike the arms, the hips depends a lot more on the hips for power generation whereas the arm you can get power from twirling your shoulder, twisting to one side, shifting weight from one leg to the other, etc etc. I think you already know this

Overall the first video was good, and you're not in a bad shape. Although you could benefit from actually breathing a bit more I know you got a grudge with the sandbag, but breathe!

Quote:

Thaison, my Sifu will be in Thailand in August if you want to try and meet him.

I'd be honored to. Just send me a PM when he's coming and I'll try to meet up with him, now I just have to figure where to train?? A park would do I guess, but this heat is lethal

-Taison out

Re: me on the bag... - 05/19/07 01:58 AM

Quote:

I don't understand it at all, but it looks interesting. How does sticky hands go against someone who doesn't "play along"?

Forgive the ignorant question, but from that open stance, why not just groin kick and end it in an SD situation?

I'll have to find a school to go visit.

you'd have to feel it to know. the idea is to

a) control the opponents hands
b) control the opponents upper mass
c) control the opponents lower mass

there is a process you go through where you can only do a, then a and b, then a, b and c.

when you can control all three it's very difficult for your opponent to step or raise his legs to kick. and even if he tries you'll be able to feel it coming and block it or throw him or whatever.

what's in that clip is still only "training". for application you'll control the opponent and finish him nearly simultaneously.

EDIT: I fixed a typo

Re: me on the bag... - 05/19/07 02:03 AM

Quote:

Ashe,

I have to say that you've got a lot of power coming from nowhere, and I still can't figure out how you generate it. Maybe you're quite good at arm-wrestling?

that's why it's called "internal" baby!

thanks for the tips. i'm still working on that lead leg round house.

any suggestions on how to improve the flow between kicks and striking and back again? i feel that's my biggest deficiency right now.

Quote:

Quote:

Thaison, my Sifu will be in Thailand in August if you want to try and meet him.

I'd be honored to. Just send me a PM when he's coming and I'll try to meet up with him, now I just have to figure where to train?? A park would do I guess, but this heat is lethal

-Taison out

well he's from malaysia so he should be able to hang, and they all survived the humidity in beijing last summer. i'll let you know when he's going to be in country.

edited to fix quote

Re: me on the bag... - 05/19/07 02:21 AM

Quote:

any suggestions on how to improve the flow between kicks and striking and back again? i feel that's my biggest deficiency right now.

Well, you could maybe start working on the speed-bag a bit.

Need to work on shifting weight from the lead leg to the back leg, and back again. That's what boxing is all about, shifting your weight.

Once you've got a hang of it, you'll see how you can add more power into your leg. You need to have weight on your rear leg when you're about to kick and quickly transfer it to your kicking (lead) leg when it's being delivered for power. It's hard to explain in words.

To increase the flow between hands and legs? Well, strictly speaking, if you're at long range, stick to jabs and the occasional low kick. When you're getting into middle range, only kick low and use more jabs, and when you're in close-range, stick to upper-body techniques.

-Taison out
Posted by: Cord

Re: me on the bag... - 05/19/07 03:30 AM

Ashe, the whole 'sticky hand' thing reminds me a lot of panantukan sensitivity drills in Filipino MA. I liked doing them, and the little traps and counters were fun, but I always found them more applicable against someone using the same skill set against you, and when it came to free sparring work, became limited very quickly- but then again, I was never that good at it
You have to make your training applicable to your art, and it appears that is exactly what you are doing (I would still try and keep my chin lower if my guard was where your is though )

Re: me on the bag... - 05/19/07 03:49 AM

Quote:

I always found them more applicable against someone using the same skill set against you, and when it came to free sparring work, became limited very quickly- but then again, I was never that good at it

i think that's probably true for most people who train these types of drills, but one thing we try to develop is "leading". in other words, once i make contact with you, i can basically direct where your hands are gonna go. that's how our qinna works. it's a result of the "fullness" and "roundness" of our training.