Help a beginner in need for advice

Posted by: new2mt

Help a beginner in need for advice - 05/15/07 08:08 AM

Hello everyone,

I just recently started doing mt, I'm 15 and was wondering what a good training routine would be for me? I am in year 10 and my school certificate is this year, but I am willing to put time in everyday to train, could someone please give me some suggestions?
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Help a beginner in need for advice - 05/15/07 10:06 AM

my training is

Monday, Muay Thai
Tuesday, Muay Thai Sparring
Wednesday, Light run and weights, stretching
Thursday, Muay Thai
Friday, Weights, Stretching
Saturday, Muay Thai Sparring
Rest on Sundays

Best thing to do is Listen to your body get plenty of protein and carbs for recovery. Be determined and passionate and you will see big changes within a few months.

Re: Help a beginner in need for advice - 05/16/07 03:46 AM

Thanks Tom,

Currently I only train twice a week, tuesdays and thursdays 5:30-8:30 pm, this is because i also have school work to do.
I was also wondering about eating habits? I'm not overweight or anything, actually I'm average weight, I look like a skinny mofo, but i have this "gut" which I can't seem to get rid of. Any suggestions on eating habbits? A routine would be good...
Posted by: kuTT3r

Re: Help a beginner in need for advice - 05/17/07 09:46 PM

Hello new2mt!!

I wouldnt recommend a routine that is way too intense for you. Your 15 - you have plenty of time to get it together - Let your body grow before you start lifting tons of weights..Start with eating right & get lots of cardio, jump rope & push ups & crunches..You should be good to go till your 18.

Re: Help a beginner in need for advice - 05/18/07 12:10 AM

Thanks kuTT3r

Yes, I don't do weights yet, and I only train 6 hours a week. Some days I go for jogs, or do light weights (nothing over 10kg) just to tone my muscles. I've heard that continuously kicking a bag will harden my shins? Is this true?
Posted by: Skullkrusher

Re: Help a beginner in need for advice - 05/21/07 10:52 PM

Yes...I can definitely say that kicking a bag will toughen your shins. I started training in January. After a few weeks I bought a heavy bag to work on at home. The first night I set it up I launched into it full power with a Thai kick. For a few days I regretted it because my shin was killing me. Over the next several weeks I would wear my shin pads when practicing kicks and now can kick the bag multiple times with no pads. I'm 38 years old, so I would imagine you might recover quicker at your age.

I can also tell you this - I've had a Bowflex for a few years that I used 3 times a week and had some good results. Over the last couple of months I've only don push-ups as far as resistance training goes, everything else has been heavy bag work and I have seen incredible results. My stamina has increased beyond belief, and I've noticed muscle gain. The only thing I do as far as supplements goes besides a multi-vitamin is a daily protein shake...and if it's a training day I'll also drink one right before and after training.

This is just one man's opinion, and what is working very well for me.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Help a beginner in need for advice - 05/22/07 08:54 AM

My advice is to lift about 60-70% of your max rep for 5 reps, i don't see how it could do any damage at your age.

You would only need to do weights about 2 times a week for about 30 mins to get strength benefits. Im only 21 i used to have over 30% body fat down to 16% now! I NEVER would have though i would ever be this lean just goes to show if you want it you can get it.

If your looking to shift the gut long runs will help but id say the best by far is high intensity pad work, fast skipping and interval runs (sprint for 15 seconds every 3 minutes) The better you aim to get your anaerobic cardio the more fat you are going to shift along the way. On top of that proper diet is vital carbs before you work out protein and carbs after works for me, simple stuff like baked potatoes instead of chips no chocolate or beer will change the results from 10 weeks to 3.