Heavybag work (me)

Posted by: Eveal

Heavybag work (me) - 04/17/07 07:43 AM

Hey guys this is just a round on the heavy bag. Tell me what I could to the make the experience better if you will please.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1849367022819157559

Brandon!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/17/07 08:08 AM

Hey Brandon! Thanks for posting this, Sharp stuff, as usual. I like the nice tight guard you keep, I gotta work on that myself. Normally I would ask to see more movement around the bag, but I can see that you don't really have the space there, so meh. Other than maybe adding a few elbows or forearm shots, it looked good to me.

Nice!
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/17/07 09:45 AM

Good snap and pop on the jabs. Guard in good position when you are punching. Decent footwork for the area you are confined to. And plenty of power on the hooks and crosses. Maybe a bit more upper body movement but other than that, I liked what I saw. Thanks for posting and having the courage to go under the scope. Good stuff.

Scottie
Posted by: Taison

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/17/07 12:59 PM

Depending on your style (Out-boxer or in-fighter), you could use more upper body movement like Razorfoot said.

I liked your crosses, very nice, sometimes makes me want to go out and start punching 'Windy'(my sandbag's name).

I'd love to see more,

-Taison out
Posted by: Jer_sm

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/17/07 04:11 PM

nice!

that left arm seems to come down quite a bit. you aren't Ali yet :P. a good outfighter might try to take advantage of the low left hand, a clear opening for him. you do not want to get hit at all! you could loose from a nose bleed. i saw that happening this week end in an amateur fight. First round stop cuz they couldn't stop the guys nose bleed.

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/17/07 11:59 PM

Jer. .

What are you going on about?

His left is fine, he has his chin tucked in behind his shoulder, his rear arm is always there to defend.

In boxing, you leave openings so that you can bait him out for counters. That is one of the beauties of the slugger/hitman stance that Brandon has adopted. It looks like an opening, but is infact a trap.

I'm not sure if Brandon is an in-fighter or out-boxer, but if he used the slugger/hitman in long-range, he can be very scary, seeing his arms reminds me of Thomas Hearns.

-Taison out
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/18/07 06:13 PM

Have to differ with you slightly here old bean…

Yes, dropping the left is a great tactic. It makes the opponent (assuming they are orthodox) move in with a right hook/straight right hand.

The problem with this clip (it is only a minor thing!!) is that I counted only two instances were Brandon threw counters to a straight right (left hook to body) after throwing out the jab. His left comes back after the jab, and stays low. Maybe this is the intent, maybe a bad habit.

If it is the intent, then Brandon should work on counter shots to finish off the trap. E.g

He throws a jab, left comes back and drops. Imagine the opponent throws a straight right. Brandon should, upon the very instant upon returning his hand, roll left and hook to body. Or bring the right across to parry, then left hook to the head.

Now you could argue that it is only bagwork, and that you shouldn’t worry too much about combos and defensive manoeuvres if all you are after is some punching practice. Fair enough. But if a person said that, then it is also true that you should keep both hands up while punching. If you are only practicing punching, then you should not be dropping your hands.

If you are having a more tactical bag session, everything should fit together IMHO.

As I said at the start though, Taison is right. A dropped left isn’t always a bad thing. But it is only part of a process. If you want to set a trap, you need all the parts to work together.

Back to the matter at hand…

Brandon, that is once again excellent work my friend.. One more little thing though, try and shoot out your jab. Get the full extent of your arm. Problem with the low left is that you have to move your arm upwards to land a head shot sometimes (when fighting someone of a similar height or taller). Really extend your arm fully, and keep the chin behind your extended arms shoulder.

Seriously impressed though!!
Posted by: Jer_sm

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/19/07 03:54 PM

thank you Prizewriter.

His left tends to be low after he throws the jab. Any good boxer or corner will notice this mistake ( if its a bad habbit) and will capitilize on it.

you should take the right habbits when practicing. when you really feel you are comfortable you can try variations like that low left hand to trap them onec in a while.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/19/07 05:46 PM

Quote:

. Any good boxer or corner will notice this mistake ( if its a bad habbit) and will capitilize on it.

Like Taison and your good self!!
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/20/07 01:38 PM

Taison, I personally wouldn't speak so highly of the Philly Shell/Hitman style. Its great if you have the athletic ability to use it properly, but it can be beat relatively easily if you are fighting a faster fighter with better attributes. Openings are fine if they are easily defendable. The Philly Shell leaves larger openings than most and requires greater attribues to overcome then then a mroe classical stance.

Re: Heavybag work (me) - 04/22/07 12:29 PM

Well Medulanet, excuse me once again if my English went wrong(AGAIN!!). The Hitman stance is good but it doesn't come without weaknesses. It is after all a long-distance stance, not very appropriate for in-fighting.

Then again, it depends on the fighter, some are more suitable for a certain stance than others. That's the beauty of boxing. For example, I'd be a complete idiot to tell Thomas Hearns to use the peek-a-boo instead of the Philly Shell/Hitman stance.

-Taison out