Tips for in-fighting

Posted by: Leonine

Tips for in-fighting - 04/16/07 02:12 AM

Lately I've finally realized that when fighting my most comfortable range is right in my opponent's face. Medium range, I always feel like I'm going to be countered off anything I do, and at long range, I can't do anything but one shot kicks. However, even though I feel I don't attack very effectively in in-fighting, I feel very very comfortable in that range (possibly because I like clinch and ground, but even during just kickboxing I prefer it).

What usually winds up happening is I get close, then I kind of weave around a bit until I wind up on my opponent's outside, where I begin opening up with hooks and short range punches. So I'm basically wondering if there are any tips for 1, improving agility to close that distance and 2, combinations from such a range.

thanks
Posted by: Taison

Re: Tips for in-fighting - 04/16/07 03:33 AM

The skill in in-fighting isn't getting inside the opponent. It's staying there and making him hurt so bad, he'd wish it was already over.

To be able to get in efficiently you've got to train 2 things; speed and pain threshold. If you take a look at in-fighters and out-boxers you'll see that in-fighters do heck a lot more sprinting when they should be jogging. For example, an out-boxer would jog or run long distances for example 10km, whereas in-fighters would spread it out between jogging and sprinting but only run a distance of 5-7km.

If you want to get in, you need speed. A lot of it. You need to develop the 'dash' as it's called. Basically it's a quick hop to get inside your opponent.

The next thing you need a lot of training is taking punches. Yes, you can count on it. You'll be taking lots and lots of jab being an in-fighter. Sometimes you will need to force your rhytm onto him. If he's defending you'll need to rush him, when he's rushing you, you need to rush back. Sometimes when you're rushing him and can't get in, your best bet is just to repeat this mantra;

Quote:

It doesn't hurt! IT DOESN'T HURT!!!

Take the hit and get in. AND STAY IN.

Combinations? You've got all kinds of combinations. My question is what punches do you like and which are you good at? Personally, I prefer smash, shovel hooks and uppercuts. There ain't much combination there, just let it swing until he drops. A punch is a punch, not some video game where you have to press into combination. Keep swinging and don't stop swinging.

-Taison out
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Tips for in-fighting - 04/16/07 03:14 PM

Another key aspect of in fighting is being able to establish a good clinch, and then being able to work from that. When you get to close, you will get grabbed almost everytime, at least in SD terms. So its important to be able to esablish the clinch, do it well, and be able to effectively strike or grapple from that position while being able to maintain good defense.
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Tips for in-fighting - 04/25/07 01:23 AM

Quote:

So I'm basically wondering if there are any tips for 1, improving agility to close that distance and 2, combinations from such a range.

1) To get in close you need good head movement, all the great inside fighters had great head movement. I like fighting on the inside too but my head movement isn’t great, it isn’t bad but I’m no Mike Tyson. As a backup or plan B I hold my hands in a peek-a-boo style like Tyson only higher than Mike did, I touch my thumbs to my temples. This way if my head isn’t fast enough my forearms should at least block the punch.

Also you should cut the ring off and force him onto the ropes. If you allow him to make use of the whole ring you will always be chasing him. So as well as head movement you need footwork too.

2) As for combos, anything that works for you. Hooks and uppercuts are the insider’s best punches. It’s safe to lead with uppercuts, either hand. But hooks aren’t nearly as safe as uppercuts to lead with, especially rear hooks.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Tips for in-fighting - 04/25/07 04:08 PM

Excon made some great points, particularly about closing down the ring. I'll just add that you shouldn't fall into the trap of just head-hunting. When your on the inside, you can throw some great body shots, and if you mix them up with head shots then you will find a lot more success on the inside. As an added bonus, a good few body shots will make the guy gas, which will make staying inside easier.
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Tips for in-fighting - 04/25/07 07:34 PM

I wish that I had said this;

Quote:

I'll just add that you shouldn't fall into the trap of just head-hunting. When your on the inside, you can throw some great body shots, and if you mix them up with head shots then you will find a lot more success on the inside.

Good post Supremor.