Pound for Pound....

Posted by: Prizewriter

Pound for Pound.... - 04/13/07 04:47 PM

Hey all.

This is a subject that has been floating around boxing since the Queensbury Rules were drawn up. Who is the best P4P boxer?

I am just wondering what criteria you would use.

To give an example of the debate, the P4P list of the late ninties were dominated by two fighters: Roy Jones Jnr and Oscar De La Hoya.

Now the people who thought Jones should be top stated that he was, at that time, the most naturally gifted boxer in the world, and as such, he was, P4P the best boxer.

De La Hoya crowd argued that Oscar was best P4P fighter as he had fought the best fighters available and beaten them. It was results, not skill alone, that made him best P4P.

Just curious for your thoughts on this. If you do provide a candidate for best pound for pound boxer ever, please do tell as to how and why you arrived by your decision.
Posted by: Kodanshi

Re: Pound for Pound.... - 04/13/07 08:59 PM

Simple:

Posted by: Cord

Re: Pound for Pound.... - 04/14/07 02:25 PM

OK, my criteria for P4P is not wholly academic, nor numerical. It is decided from the following process: Take fighter in question, assess their principle strengths and weaknesses, then just take him to different weights (in your mind) and apply his attribute sets against the best in that weight class, and come up with an honest prediction of how you think they would fare. Then you have to also decide your definition of 'greatest' is tied up with victory? Roberto Duran is ine of the alltime greats, yet his most famous fights are losses. His courage and durability earned him his place, not so much the outcomes. Moralles is undoubtedly a name that will live on as long as Barrera's, despite losing their trilogy.

For me, right now, Ricky Hatton is my P4P choice. He cannot be matched for workrate, grit, natural aggression, durability or character. His power is not causing as much trouble to his world class oponents as it did domesticaly, but he still has amazing power from round 1 right through to 12. He can toe to toe, he can spoil and tough out a decision, or he can box with timing and skill. His love of a battle leads to him being drawn into situations he could avoid, but thus far he has always had the cojones to come out on top.
He is the closest thing we have to a vintage 50's prizefighter competing today. An oldschool treasure to be enjoyed at every opertunity.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Pound for Pound.... - 04/15/07 08:51 AM

Like Cord, I'm not using numerical nor academic statistics to base my decision on. My best p4p would be Barrera.

Barrera has proved that he can outbox if his opponent is strong in-fighter, and he can definitely in-fight and swarm if he must. He'd do quite well in higher divisions but only up another 3-5 weight divisions.

Another one I'd agree with Cord would be Ricky Hatton. An old-school that's not to be trifled with.

-Taison out