muay thai & tony jaa

Posted by: ghost123123

muay thai & tony jaa - 04/09/07 08:25 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm taking TKD right now but i would like to do a little Muay Thai on the side just for my enjoyment. I was wondering if you guys have seen any Tony Jaa movies. And if you have is that what Muay Thai basically is or is it spiced up for entertainment. I like Muay Thai because of the power dealing with the elbows and knees. Thanks!
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/09/07 09:06 PM

A: You don't do muay thai just for enjoyment, you have to take it seriously.
B: No, real muay thai little resembles any tony jaa movie, and is VERY spiced up (mixed with wu shu and gymnastics)
C: There's far more to muay thai than just elbows and knees, it's a very complex science that you must devote your self to in order to become proficient.
D: If you want a better idea of what muay thai actually is then look it up in youtube.

dcm
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/09/07 09:16 PM

Quote:

Whats wrong with practicing Muay Thai for fun? Not everyone wants to tbe the next champion.

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/09/07 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Whats wrong with practicing Muay Thai for fun? Not everyone wants to tbe the next champion.

thank you Mr. H, i just wanted some more info and not an attack. and i said i like the muay thai because of the elbow and knee attacks because thats what i know. if i knew more i wouldnt be asking. so next time you wanna be a jerk stop and read what people are really saying.
Posted by: Taison

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/10/07 03:33 AM

Being a former Muay Boran student, I can say this;

The MT you see in Ong Bak is supposedly "Entertainment MT" because it involves a lot of TKD mechanics for 'flash'.

MT isn't an art where you could devote time just to have 'fun'. MT is a pain to practice, if you can't cope with it, don't do it. Unless it's a western gym based on books and no lineage tracing back to Thailand, then feel free to have 'fun' but do know what you'd be learning will be just cr4p.

I don't have anything against gyms being opened in the west. I just DO have something against westerners opening their gyms, claiming to be champions and don't have a [censored] clue what they're doing and then diss real boxers from Thailand who have at least 400 matches under their belt. So in short, if the gym doesn't have lineage tracing back to Thailand, then it's fake. Simple as that and I don't give a damn if they're good or not. No lineage back to Thailand, then it's kickboxing and not MT.

For example (Yes, I am now openly criticizing a gym), "The Academy" I found on youtube.com. The teacher is cr4p, what he teaches is cr4p, what he says is cr4p and his technique is cr4p but most importantly he has no lineage tracing back to Thailand. I think I posted about his school on this forum a while back. Do some searching.

MT is NOT just about elbows and knees even though they're the unique aspect of MT. MT has kicks and punches too. Don't forget clinch, the only stand-up striking art to work in the clinch religiously on par with grappling arts.

Quote:

so next time you wanna be a jerk stop and read what people are really saying.

DCM wasn't a jerk, he's just that type of person. He puts everything straight. Don't mind him, he's a cool guy if you get to know him.

-Taison out

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/10/07 07:51 AM

Ok cool, thanks for the info Taison! Maybe sometime down the road I'll have time to formally study MT. I was just wondering because I had know clue. I didn't mean to be mean to anyone, I just thought I was being attacked.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/10/07 08:42 AM

Course you can do Muay Thai for fun plenty of people do it for fitness or because they enjoy the classes, hell if i wasn't doing it for fun i wouldn't be fighting in the first place i would have quit ages ago.

And Taison all Muay Thai is from Thailand its taught by Thai Teachers in england like Grand Master Toddy and Grand Master Toddy in the early days, now many Thai teachers and trainers train coaches like Master Sken who has created his own syllabus and association.

All trainers will have learned from a Thai or someone who has with many many years of experience from a Thai, most gym instructors in the UK train in Thailand and most good gyms have stadium champs come over to teach private sessions like Rajasak.
Any other gym who dissis a Thai with 400 fights is none to pay attention to, any rubbish kickboxing gym who boasts teaching Muay Thai the same, the Muay Thai circuit in england is very close net, everyone knows everyone and believe me it is real Muay Thai!
Posted by: Konan

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/10/07 01:01 PM

Highly rate Muay Thai for fun. I am not massively experienced but did a little Karate and Aikido when I was younger and thought they were good but I find Muay Thai a lot more fun and I think because of the use of elbows and knees and also the fitness side to it with I think some other martial arts skim over. It is a very satisfying sport due to the full frontal style... Anyway, thats just my opinion...
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/15/07 01:40 PM

I disagree that MT isnt just for 'fun.' I gladly participate in any MA because I think MA is fun to do. I find enjoyment in MA. But don't get it mixed up that during class time is a group of people acting and playing around like little kids. I love MA and its great to be doing any form of it. So you can have fun while you practice and learn your MT thats perfectly fine.

And as far as the elbows and knees thing, thats fine. I mean like Taison said, theres many more elements to MT than you listed but thats all you know, or at least know the best. So who can really blame you. Him and DCM are here just to remind you that there are other elements of the art that you can probably appreciate as well.
Posted by: Cord

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/15/07 01:51 PM

Have to agree Tom, I dont know what the state of play in the US/europe, but here in the UK we are very fortunate to have a lot of very decent and authentic Muay Thai- certainly in the competetive sense, with a lot of instructors having very close links with Thai trainers and gyms. Before 'cage fighting' became the fashionable choice for those wanting to throwdown for their entertainment, muay Thai clubs in britain had for a long time been synonamous with 'hardcore' training, and not for the weekend hobbyist.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/16/07 12:37 AM

well I only know 2 schools in NYC and they are associated with GM Toddy and Master Sken (Phil Nurse) and they are good...but I would agree that other people would pretty much suck at what they are teaching and dont deliver their end of the deal.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: muay thai & tony jaa - 04/16/07 07:51 AM

By the way i meant Woody and Toddy lol
Phil nurse trained with Master Sken over here in the UK, now over in NYC trains George st Pierre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZ9dCOUeXg
Keep in mind this was back in the 80's