Me and padwork...

Posted by: Eveal

Me and padwork... - 04/08/07 08:17 PM

Just one round of me doing some padwork. I was pretty tired during this round and my training partner was being lazy with the catching so it wasnt't the greatest...

Nonetheless give tips on better drills and footwork, movement etc...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DU2YVHaALEA

Thanks.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Me and padwork... - 04/08/07 08:21 PM

Thanks for posting that, Brandon. Looks pretty good overall, and reminded me of the padwork we used to do in my JKD kickboxing class.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Me and padwork... - 04/09/07 05:49 AM

The technique itself was fabulous Eveal. All the punches had great mechanics and good power too. However there are 2 things that I noticed that you coul improve on:

1) You are somtimes very slow to react to those targets. The idea of using those focus mits, is to hit the target as soon as you see it open. I think the reason why you are slow in reacting, is your footwork. Your footwork seems clunky and slow to set. When you move, you can be loose, but when you see the target open up, you have to quickly set your feet and hit. At the moment, you appear to be quite tight while just moving, and when the pad goes up you spend a long tme setting your feet.

2) The hooks from your partner that you are bobbing are quite high up. Indeed I'd venture tos ay they were higher than your actual head in the first place! To practice your ducking, you need to get your partner to throw at your head! The body guarding was very good though.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Me and padwork... - 04/09/07 06:08 AM

That wa excellent man, really good stuff. A few minor points:

i) Try and get your hip/leg more in to your hooks, really give them that extra kick.

ii) Try and get your partner to not delay so much when throwingthe pads back at you. He was being a bit too casual like you said!!

As for new drills, I found these video clips a while back. They are excellent. I tried writing out detailed desriptions, but they ran to over 800 words

If you have any questions regarding these, please ask. They guying demonstrating is Clinton Woods, current IBF world light heavyweight champ.

In particular, I recommend you try the slip drill. You caught a lot of stuff on your gloves, which was good, but try and add more strings to your bow, so to speak. Again, this requires you to use your lower body to move along with the upper body. A lot of people try and move their top half without the bottom half. They end up off balance and exposed, or worse still, still in harms way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/default.stm

Click on "Defence Masterclass" link on the bottom left.