in the ring.

Posted by: Jer_sm

in the ring. - 04/01/07 06:05 PM

im not really sure how to ask this but like whats the first thing you should be trying to do when you are in the ring?

do you just attack the oppenent? jab em to find out what he does? when hes got his guard up do you still jab it?

i dont know if you guys understand what im getting at.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: in the ring. - 04/01/07 06:18 PM

Use the first round to develop a sense of the timing and rhythm that your opponent has. This isn't to say that you shouldn't go on the attack, but I would be patient and let the fight develop naturally rather than trying to force something.

Lots of jabs, lots of leg kicks (if you're doing that). Move and bait your opponent to throw to you. Stay just out of range and work your counter punching. At least early.

Then press the action more as the fight progresses. Try and establish YOUR game on your opponent. Make him fight YOUR way.

Go until the bell sounds, a knock out occurs or the ref stops the fight.

-John

Re: in the ring. - 04/01/07 06:22 PM

ah ok, try to control him, always coupel steps ahead.

i guess it all comes with experience.

what about when hes against the ropes with his guard up. should i be trying to slug at his guard to find openings? should i let him stand up again so i can find openings?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: in the ring. - 04/01/07 06:25 PM

Are you talking about sparring or an actual bout?

Re: in the ring. - 04/01/07 06:30 PM

well sparring sorta prepares you for the real thing. so i guess im talking about both.

Re: in the ring. - 04/01/07 06:49 PM

Jer sm

If you don't know this much at this point, you shouldn't perhaps even be SPARRING, much less in the ring.

I'm assuming you were just asking because you were curious. Are you training anywhere? Have a coach? What's your plans?

-John

Re: in the ring. - 04/01/07 06:57 PM

yeah i am training at a boxing gym, ive got a couple coaches. im planning to get that golden glove :P.

i was just curious like what doyou guys do in these situations? I acutally owe a lot to just reading about techniques and stuff.

i thought it might be cool to see different point of views. to mix it up a bit.

Re: in the ring. - 04/01/07 07:00 PM

Good deal then.

You'll be coached as to how to handle different situations (such as opponent, or yourself against the ropes). You'll be PUT into those various situations and will spar to learn.

For example, when your opponent is against the ropes, you'll want to obviously keep him there. Thus your coach would have you doing a lot of "head to head" sparring. That sort of training is good for a lot of situations. You can be head to head in the middle of the ring and not just the ropes. That just teaches you infighting.

You'll also learn to cut off the ring and back your man into the ropes, etc. Again, all of these situations should be set up by your coach during training.

-John
Posted by: Taison

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 06:22 AM

I divide my bouts into sessions.

First round is coined 'the calm before the storm'. Basically, I'll be playing around, a little on the defensive to study your rhytm, timing and habits. But at the same time set my rhytm on you, and make the game go my pace.

Second round is called the 'shocker'. Be prepared to eat a strong punch all of a sudden. If it hits and sends you to the ground, even if it doesn't knock you out, you'll be doubting yourself, and you'll think I have powerful punches but in fact, it's just psychological bs that's messing with your mind.

Third round is the 'Blitz'. At this point, I'll know your strategy, your timing and rhytm. Not only that, I'll have a few of your habits, and I'll all out on you with confidence while you're still afraid of my 'sucker punch' from round 2. Trust me, you'll be so afraid of that punch you're going to keep looking for it, but I won't throw it. I'll just go up and bombard you with my favorite punches until the end of the round.

Round four 'Shocker?'. I'll either continue with the strategy like round three, or I'll deliver another sucker punch. Depends on what's fitting, if you're not afraid of the punch, I'll just play safe.

Round 5, assuming you're still standing, I'll just play defensive. Also called "Wussy round" because I'll just run away from you and avoid all trades.

That's my kickboxing tactics.

-Taison out
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 11:51 AM

block, return!

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 12:18 PM

Quote:

well sparring sorta prepares you for the real thing. so i guess im talking about both.

Sparring of course, is different from a bout. As you are talking about fighting under the amateur code, there are things you must consider.

Sparring is a training tool. It allows you to work on everything. It is a practice run for the real thing. Work on what your coaches show you.

In the amateur code, their are 4 x 2 minute rounds. Invariably, and you can look at amateur bouts on TV for this, the person who is leading by the end of the second round normally wins the fight.

Due to the nature of scoring in the amateur code, emphasis is not put on power. It is put on accuracy and defensive skill. There are very few KO's in the Olympics. And of those bouts that are stopped, most are done under the 20 point rule,

In the amateur code, you should only feel someone out for the first minute. After that, every second counts. You must make sure you are a)in the lead by the end of the second round b) within a point or two at the least.

If you are concerned with being successful in the amateurs, you should concentrate on defensive skill and learning to land single shots successfully. That is not to say you should not throw combos, only that you should always try to land accurate shots. If you enter an exchange with a boxer in the amateur code, and you throw five shots, one of which lands cleanly in a scoring area, but get got with the single shot your oppoenent throws back, the score will be 1:1. Less is more in the amateurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVCSegJR4Bs

Here is an example of what it is like. This is Andre Ward of the USA beating Magomed Aripgadjiev of Belarus in the 2004 Olympic Light-Heavy final. Note that most of the scoring shots are single shots, single point awarded each time. Ward leads of his jab at the start to close in on his opponent, but this combo is not designed to score multi points, it is designed to close in to score a single shot. Generally jabs aren't scored.

Very few combos in the above clip. Combos in amateur boxing are used to set up the single shot.

There are some single shots thrown in succesion in the above, but the small time difference means they aren't combos as such i.e. they're not thrown together in sequence.

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 04:39 PM

those are some interesting tactics taison.

and ty Prizewriter for that video, i like it. i can see how amateur is much different. i do have a question though. if you do throw a combo and all the shots land clean. you get em all right? like a 3 hit combo.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 06:54 PM

The very first thing I try to take notice of is my opponents footwork and timing. Once Ive got it, Ill use it. Now he thinks he has my timing down, but he doesnt. When Im defending and attacking my footwork is going to be faster than the pace Im going when Im out in the open establishing distance.

After Ive established his timing and rythm, then I establish his range. How close do I have to be to hurt him and where can I retreat to and be safe? Ideally I want to be able to move fast enough to come in and out or even just keep him swinging as Im just outside his reach. thats gonna do alot of damage to his stamina. Its also going to make it easier for me to bob and weave, slip, or counter.

By the time Ive established his timing and his range, its time for me to find that one weakness Im going to exploit. This is the hardest part of the fight. His weakness could be anything. He could have a slow jab, or a weak jab. He could leave an opening during a specific attack, he might have poor footwork or sloppy defense. It could be anything but once Ive found it, thats going to dictate any further action from me. If its an exposed rib then Im going to stay just out uf his range, let him expose himself, since Im already at his pace its going to be easy for me to land my spot especially if its in a predetermined fashion.

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 07:57 PM

nice chen, i guess you are more of an out fighter?

Peopel really underestimate how smart fighters are. They think fighter are just a bunch of knuckle heads trading blows for fun.
its really a mind game, mentally and physically.

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 08:01 PM

Yes, Im an outfighter, who goes in when staying out doesnt work, and who takes it to the ground when simply staying inside isnt enough.
Posted by: ExCon

Re: in the ring. - 04/02/07 11:31 PM

My first fight I charged across the ring and banged away until I knocked him on his butt. My last fight I lost. My best fight I started out on defense counter punching until I was confident he couldn’t hurt me. Then I went on the offensive and won.

Re: in the ring. - 04/03/07 04:24 AM

Taison = Jack Dempsey/Rocky Marciano hybrid.
Chen = Tomas Hearns/Ali hybrid.

Chen if you learn the flicker jab, then you'd be awesome, seriously!

-Taison out

Re: in the ring. - 04/03/07 08:01 AM

In theory, that is correct. In practice, you have 5 judges seated at various positions round the ring. They have a electronic panels with a red button and a blue button (for each boxer, naturally). 3 of the 5 judges must press the button within a second of each other to register the point.

If you throw a lighting fast combo and all of 'em land, chances are the judges, being human, won't see them all.

The Germans were the first to notice this and take advantage of it. They designed a system whereby youngsters are taught to throw single, accurate shots, or combos that set up a single shot, as it is the most economical way to score points.

In amateurs, it is better to land 3 clean single shots in a round, than land a 3-punch combo. The former will almost certainly get you 3 points, the latter will probably get 1. Its the nature of the beast.
Posted by: jliu

Re: in the ring. - 04/03/07 02:54 PM

while i don't have much kickboxing experience,i do have some karate experience. however, in terms of the ring, i guess they kinda overlap?

personally, i like to fight strategically. i would take the beginning trying to see how the opponent fights (with your jabs or leg kicks or whatever technique is best suited), and then start moving in and exploiting weaknesses.

that method might not be to good under time constraints, but that's how i'd do it.

Re: in the ring. - 04/04/07 01:50 AM

Im not sure if a flicker jab is any different than what I use or not but I work my jab and my backfist constantly.

Re: in the ring. - 04/04/07 09:45 AM

Flicker jab is a jab with the back knuckles. Bruce Lee used it like. . 80% of the time.

-Taison out

Re: in the ring. - 04/04/07 12:37 PM

Thats my Backfist. Quicker than my jab, uses the same attack line, and hits with the back of the knuckles. Apparently Im AWESOME!!!! Just dont tell anyone, they might want to beat me up

Re: in the ring. - 04/04/07 11:45 PM

Re: in the ring. - 04/05/07 10:46 AM

baha, i cant wait for my next match. i'll get it on tape and post it if its not too bad.

maybe get some pointers from the pros

Re: in the ring. - 04/06/07 03:27 AM

Im notoriously expensive.

Re: in the ring. - 04/06/07 08:12 AM

Quote:

maybe get some pointers from the pros

Don't ask me by the way, I'm just a newbie.

-Taison out

Re: in the ring. - 04/06/07 01:19 PM

pshhh, you know you guys cant help pointing out things people are doing wrong.

Re: in the ring. - 04/06/07 03:29 PM

Quote:

pshhh, you know you guys cant help pointing out things people are doing wrong.

Only because I have had it pointed out to me 1000 times before...

Re: in the ring. - 04/06/07 03:49 PM

Exactly

Re: in the ring. - 04/06/07 06:06 PM

Agreed

-Taison out