"Climbing" in Muay Thai

Posted by: MattJ

"Climbing" in Muay Thai - 03/30/07 04:29 PM

Interesting vid showing some "stepping" techniques used in Muay Thai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtYB8fE6rCM

A friend of mine that did Kung Fu used to do something similar in sparring occasionally.
Posted by: Taison

Re: "Climbing" in Muay Thai - 04/01/07 11:05 AM

They're noobs. . .

Although I hate admitting being able to do somethings, because I get branded a liar faster than you can set an oil rig on fire with a cigarette, I know how to 'climb'.

It doesn't work nowadays because most MT boxers don't have the traditional long stance, and not only that, it doesn't work well after a parry because your opponent doesn't have balance, and if you indeed try to 'climb' they'll crumble down with you.

From the 'climb' I can deliver a kick, knee, or an elbow. Or I can jump on and stand there and choke you. Or poke you in the eyes.

Those two are wanna-be's that've watched Ong Bak too many times. How do I know?

For example, when climbing up, you don't bend forward when you kick because you won't be able to create enough power. The key is when you do place your foot on his thigh, you're to kick like a normal roundhouse on the thigh, so your upper body would be leaning back. Another thing is the elbow. When you do step up on him, you put on foot on his shoulder and lean forward when striking. If you do a successful strike you roll down behind him as he falls. These two are just amateurs.

-Taison out
Posted by: Kodanshi

Re: "Climbing" in Muay Thai - 04/01/07 08:33 PM

Very well observed, Taison, I didn’t know that at all! Cheers for the heads up.
Posted by: Taison

Re: "Climbing" in Muay Thai - 04/02/07 06:15 AM

One little thing I forgot to mention. .

I can't climb on resisting opponents, so don't bother asking me how to set it up during a 'live' sparring session, because I have no friggin' clue. Never worked for me, and I doubt I'll try to make it work.

-Taison out