boxing counters

Posted by: Jer_sm

boxing counters - 03/27/07 04:29 PM

i was just curius, what do you guys find the best way to counter a jab is?
Posted by: Cord

Re: boxing counters - 03/27/07 04:47 PM

Which jab?

seriously, as a rule I either slip it or eat it, either way, my own work is on its way regardless as soon as i am in range.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: boxing counters - 03/27/07 05:13 PM

Welllllll.........

Assuming you are talking about an orthodox fighter, I use to roll to my left and then jab him! A risky strategy I know (moving toward his power hand), but I got away it more times than not.

Other favourite was small side step right, roll right, then bury a big right hook into his ribs. A better defensive tactic, as I found it left him with little (legal) attacking options, as I was outside his guard, and my left was protecting the left side of my face (the only real area for him to attack).

We were discouraged for doing this for the longest time as "judges don't count body shots!!!!", or so we were told. Although a legal, scoring punch, some judges still don't give 'em all of the time. AIBA are trying to rectify it though.

Re: boxing counters - 03/27/07 08:33 PM

yeah those are pretty easy counters.

i like throwing a right over his jab. you slip to the left just enough to get out of the way of the jab and throw an over hand right in his face.

anyone got any like neat tricks or cool combos that could be pulled off. south paw or orthodox. gona have to fight both someday.

if you slip it, its cool. if you slip and counter it at the same time thats great .
Posted by: ExCon

Re: boxing counters - 03/27/07 08:37 PM

Quote:

i was just curius, what do you guys find the best way to counter a jab is?

PLAN A

Vs. orthodox fighter

Slip outside, overhand right, left hook, waltz left

OR

Slip inside, left jab, right cross, shuffle back right

Vs. southpaw fighter

Slip outside, overhand left, right cross, shuffle back right

OR

Slip inside, right cross, left hook, waltz left

PLAN B

Block, roll with the punch and pivot right

PLAN C

There is no plan C
Posted by: Taison

Re: boxing counters - 03/27/07 11:24 PM

You could try doing the criss-cross, but I doubt you'll be able to pull that off. Most people train for years before they're able to.

I'm not really a technical fighter, I just take the jab with my gloves and move into close range.

-Taison out

Re: boxing counters - 03/28/07 09:04 AM

Quote:

You could try doing the criss-cross, but I doubt you'll be able to pull that off. Most people train for years before they're able to.

What is the “criss-cross”?

Can you post a link?

Thanks

Re: boxing counters - 03/28/07 10:27 AM

You don't know the criss-cross?

Oh well, seems another technique that hasn't been standardized.

Basically, a criss-cross is countering a counter. For example, you throw an uncommited telegraphed cross to bait his counter cross, and as he releases it, you instantly change to a lead hook to his face.

This is one of Bruce Lee's favorite techniques. This counter-counter is usually employed be experienced 'out-boxers' like Ali.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3f4WjQ2t2w

Here you can see it being done by Vanderlei Silva at 0:45 and 02:26. @ 0:45 he baits Sakuraba into doing a cross-counter, and counters that counter with a lead hook, which goes ontop of that cross, which makes it looks like a criss-cross. See?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UlVW8jF50o&mode=related&search=
First technique shown. Criss-cross. Who'd ever think, a brute like Vand can pull something advanced like this off.

Fairly advanced level technique, wouldn't recommend it to the original poster but he wanted to see something cool.

-Taison out

Re: boxing counters - 03/28/07 02:53 PM

that criss-cross is really cool, a neat counter. you really gotta be use to dodging punches to pull that off. cant be scared.

at 45 sec he dosen't even see that hook coming. sucked to be him

you got anymore technical stuff that could be used to defend or counter any of the punches in boxing?

Re: boxing counters - 03/29/07 05:57 AM

“criss-cross”, yes I know that as a cross counter.

Quote:

Here you can see it being done by Vanderlei Silva at 0:45 and 02:26. @ 0:45 he baits Sakuraba into doing a cross-counter, and counters that counter with a lead hook, which goes ontop of that cross, which makes it looks like a criss-cross. See?

Don’t you mean a jab in place of a cross and rear hook in place of a lead hook?

Btw the hook looks more like an overhand to me.

Re: boxing counters - 03/29/07 06:43 AM

Addendum:

It looks to me like;

In video one Silva throws a rear overhand over the other guys cross.

In video two Silva throws a rear overhand over the other guys jab.

In my above post when I slip to the outside and throw an overhand I’m cross countering or criss-crossing (whatever term you prefer).

Re: boxing counters - 03/29/07 08:34 AM

Quote:

Nope, @ 0:45 sakuraba threw a cross. Vanderlei merely threw a straight to bait him into it, then he threw a wide open hook, almost a swing at Sakuraba's temple with his rear hand. I'm sorry about the typo, I meant to say rear but something must've gotten into my mind at the moment. Whatever.

-Taison out
Posted by: jude33

Re: boxing counters - 03/29/07 11:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, @ 0:45 sakuraba threw a cross. Vanderlei merely threw a straight to bait him into it, then he threw a wide open hook, almost a swing at Sakuraba's temple with his rear hand. I'm sorry about the typo, I meant to say rear but something must've gotten into my mind at the moment. Whatever.

-Taison out

Either way good techniques and its good that you saw them ,isolated them and pointed them out.
Nice combination's
When did they allow stomping back?
I thought that was banned years ago?
I will have to keep up with the times