Kick problems

Posted by: Stormdragon

Kick problems - 03/14/07 02:11 PM

I am having trouble getting by low kicks to the legs, groin and abdomen (especially the groin) when I try to enter into infighting/grappling range. what's the best way to nullify those low kicks besides coming in really fast at an angle?
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 02:31 PM

Block with the shin as you step in.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 02:32 PM

Kick them first.
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 03:25 PM

If I have this right, you can’t close from kicking range to clinch range.

This doesn’t sound like a kicking issue, more like a footwork problem.

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 05:04 PM

So how should I change my footwork? And yes blocking with the shin/low leg, usually works great and I forgot about that tactic.
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 05:18 PM

Quote:

So how should I change my footwork?

I don’t know it could be just a matter of practice. Also skipping rope is a good way to improve the coordination of your feet.

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 09:14 PM

That might help. I have a problem with slow lumbering footwork. kind of like rocky in the first movie before mic use the string. So I cant get in fast.
Too wide of stance. bad stuff...
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 09:59 PM

There are a few things I train and teach.

1. You can shin block which works great but if your shin isn't conditioned enough then "ouch".

2. Blitz through it. Try to bum rush them with punching flurrys as they try to set the kick up. Works great if they switch kick .

3. Is to eat the kick to get into clinch range or counter with the right or left depending on stance. I mean eat the kick by putting more weight on the front leg keeping it bent but making it like a pillar so it won't give as easy.

4. Try to step back but not too far back so the kick just blows by and try to counter after he misses.

Play around with your footwork and various drills and just have fun with it.

Brandon
Posted by: Taison

Re: Kick problems - 03/14/07 11:39 PM

This is a little technique I got from Zendokai (a karate style) a few days ago which, I have... assimilated into myself.

As you know, when wrestlers go in for the takedown, they're usually hit by a kick before they got to hold their opponent.

What I saw from Zendokai however, was that when they went in for the takedown, they didn't enter straight. They'd go at a 45 degree angle away from their opponent. As you're about to pass, you can then jump on him and grab.

Try going in like that instead of straight in.

Just a little thing you could try.

-Taison out

Re: Kick problems - 03/15/07 01:07 PM

Sounds interesting I'll have to test all that out. Thanks.