southpaw advantages/disadvantages

Posted by: Jer_sm

southpaw advantages/disadvantages - 03/12/07 11:07 PM

do you guys have any tips for fighting a south paw?

i think the aproach to fighting a south paw might be a bit different, both you jaws are infront of each other and each one of your stomachs are open to that power hand. should i stay on the south paws left or go outside of him to his right?
Posted by: Taison

Re: southpaw advantages/disadvantages - 03/13/07 12:52 AM

A southpaw. . it depends, is he right handed and plays in southpaw, or is he left handed and fights in southpaw?

A right handed southpaw (me!) only do this when I know I'm fighting a more powerful opponent. It's basically to put my strongest side upfront. I know I won't be hitting much, so when I do hit, I'll have to leave a dent that'll rattle his ancestors. Hurtin' bombs yo!

Recently, I've changed to orthodox because though I was in southpaw, my defense game lacked because of the disadvantages you stated. Basically, you create disadvantage to them, you create a disadvantage to yourself. I might have it easier to deliver a kidney shot or go through his defense and nail a hook to his jaw, but he has the same luxury. When you know that his defense is too good, that's when you should sacrifice a bit to ease up on his defense. Other than that, if you're right handed, stick in orthodox.

Another thing, when in southpaw, you fight inside or outside? There's a difference there as well.

-Taison out
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: southpaw advantages/disadvantages - 03/13/07 01:04 AM

Im a right handed southpaw. I always want my lead to be my strong hand. Its faster, stronger, and more accurate than my left. I want my left to the rear to defend, and so that it may gain power through momentum, making my weak arm, less weak.

If your looking at it in boxing or kickboxing terms, you might decide to turn your waist to your opponent so that instead of being squared up, you only give him the side. This gives him less striking options though it isnt a good idea to do this when facing a grappler.

Another thing to do is to work towards getting to the outside of his lead. Eventually you may have to cut an angle and do just the opposite to land your attack if he knows what your doing, so be prepared. If your getting your kidneys hit, work on two things. First, spiking the fist with the elbow. And secondly work on your uppercut. He will often leave himself open on a digging body shot.

Re: southpaw advantages/disadvantages - 03/13/07 01:35 AM

Shovel hooks with the lead hand is good from southpaw. If Rocky Marciano can beat people twice his size, why can't we?

-Taison out
Posted by: ExCon

Re: southpaw advantages/disadvantages - 03/13/07 02:51 AM

Imo the advantage the southpaw has over the orthodox fighter is experience. The southpaw is use to fighting a right hander, while the orthodox fighter seldom fights a lefty.

There is a cardinal rule in boxing, don’t lead with your right. The exception to the rule is when you are fighting southpaws; it’s ok to lead with a right (but not all the time). Of course his left lead will work for him as well as your right lead does for you, so be careful.

Re: southpaw advantages/disadvantages - 03/13/07 02:55 AM

Basically, what I was trying to say.

Ok, I'm like 2 inches from quitting this job. Argh! I hate the English language! Semantics, semantics!!

-Taison out
Posted by: ExCon

Re: southpaw advantages/disadvantages - 03/13/07 03:35 AM

Quote:

I hate the English language! Semantics, semantics!!

Me too, unfortunately I can’t speak anything else.