bolo punch :O

Posted by: Jer_sm

bolo punch :O - 03/12/07 10:57 PM

well i was looking it up and the bolo punch seem kinda pointless but its really quick maybe not knock out power but. do you think it would be effective like lets say right after a jaB? or use it as a jab?

or even when you weave side to side you could swing a bolopunch sort of like a alternative to a jab.

think it would be effective since its a bit longer then a hook yet pretty much the same power used as a jab+ the body weight shifting side to side?
Posted by: Taison

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 12:46 AM

You can bolo any type of punch. Bolo isn't a technique, it just means that you use your arm to deliver the strike without putting in body movement. Try doing the jab without rotating the body, changing the legs, and you'll see why it's practically useless in professional fighting.

-Taison out
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 01:55 AM

Jis,

Have a look at the following book. it has a good description of how and when to use a Bolo type punch.
(and yes it IS a ****** powerful technique if done correctly)
Advanced Kick Boxing by Pat O'Keeffe
Publisher: Summersdale Publishers (Sep 2002)
ISBN-10: 1840241810
ISBN-13: 978-1840241815

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 02:22 AM

It ISN'T a powerful punch due to the lack of body mechanic used. It's an arm punch. The power that is generated is from the shoulder and tricep alone.

You can use if you want, but Bolo only works in amateur fights where the intention is to land a blow, not hurting. The bolo is practically a crappy hook with too much extension of the arm.

That's the reason it isn't taught and only used in Amateur circuits. It's fast but that's it. Nothing glamorous about it.

Now if you were to put hips into the bolo punch, you'd be "swinging" which is technically different from Bolo punch.

Bolo, swinging... both of them in my opinion are crap and used only by new boxers and boxers who don't have a clue what they're doing.

The reason? There's too much space created when you do either of them, and your face is opened wide when do perform bolo or swing. I've seen a lot of new boxers get knocked out by a jab because they decided they wanted to do a bolo/swing.

If you want a good punch, jab followed with a body hook would be so much better than a bolo. Leave the bolo for the "point-sparrers".

Fight hard, but fight safe.

-Taison out
Posted by: ExCon

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 02:35 AM

Quote:

The bolo is practically a crappy hook with too much extension of the arm.

That sounds about right.

The bolo is for psyching your opponent out and entertaining the crowd.

If you try the bolo without having the basic boxing skills you will wish that you hadn’t.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 10:35 AM

it could be used to disrupt your opponents timing? like you say weak punch though...
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 02:17 PM

One good bolo punch: Backfist.

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 03:48 PM

are you acutally allowed to do like do a 360 with ur fist swinging or like hit them like a clinched karate chop style punch?

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 04:32 PM

proper backfist isn't a bolo punch though you should get full momentum behind it, one of the most complicated Muay Thai techniques if you ask me!

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 04:36 PM

MMMM depends on your definition of a back fist. My backfist is loose, and quick. It gets power from a snap like a jab.

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 04:40 PM

Quote:

MMMM depends on your definition of a back fist. My backfist is loose, and quick. It gets power from a snap like a jab.

is it a legit boxing punch?

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 05:21 PM

Not definition, mechanics maybe. Spinning Backfist is a knockout technique it doesn't lack any sort of power, you have to dedicate yourself to it, its no bolo punch in my opinion.
If your doing it right there should be about 4 movements, 3 of these are footwork 2 before the strike and 1 after putting you into unorthodox stance at the end. If your throwing before moving the back leg your feet will be in a line therefore less balance and power, the arm should be whipped out at the last moment.

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 05:39 PM

i know what you mean tom. i dont think a spining back fist is a bolo either.

i think chen zen is talking a bout a simple back fist with out the spining motion.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 06:08 PM

No, it isn't I'm afraid.

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/13/07 07:21 PM

oh well, thats cool.

i would never use a spining back punch anyway.

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/14/07 12:19 AM

Why not? It has a high rate of hitting when people circle to your blind spot. Peter Aerth actually knocked someone out using this technique.

Just because you're spinning doesn't mean it's flashy and ineffective.

-Taison out

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/14/07 01:52 AM

I wasnt talking about a spinning backfist, and no, it isnt a legal punch in boxing. Some kickboxing maybe, but boxing no.

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/14/07 01:59 AM

Me confused...

Chen's talking about the back fist,
Jer_sm's talking about spinning back fist,
Tom's talking about spinning back fist,
Prizewriter is talking about back fist. . .

Are you guys having the same conversation?!?!>!

In boxing, the spinning back fist isn't allowed, in K-1 however it is. Back fist in general isn't favored in the boxing world, if you hit, you hit with the front of your knuckles. But I don't really care what they say, I'll hit with whatever I want to hit with, it's my body.

-Taison out

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/14/07 02:17 AM

If your quick enough, your backfist will resemble a jab anyways.

Re: bolo punch :O - 03/14/07 05:36 PM

ok ok we got mixed up lol, just so back Taisons argument up a spinning back fist is an amazing technique!! it can be used if your leg ever gets turned, someone shifting to the other side of the ring across the ropes etc... check out when bas hit frank with it for example 2:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9bJGQBoFTY