wrist pain

Posted by: Jer_sm

wrist pain - 03/09/07 11:24 AM

i was beating on the heavy bag for a while and ended up hurting my wrist.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: wrist pain - 03/09/07 11:42 AM

Could be a number of things. I would first of all rest it, ice it and put a support bandage on it. If the pain lasts more than a few days, go see a doctor. Don't even think of hitting the bag again while you've still got pain in your wrist.

If it does heal up in a couple of days, then one problem could be poor alignment of the wirst when you punch. Make sure the fist is in alignment with your forearm and that you hit with your first two knuckles, again, this is to create proper wrist alignment.

Re: wrist pain - 03/09/07 11:47 AM

Quote:

Could be a number of things. I would first of all rest it, ice it and put a support bandage on it. If the pain lasts more than a few days, go see a doctor. Don't even think of hitting the bag again while you've still got pain in your wrist.

If it does heal up in a couple of days, then one problem could be poor alignment of the wirst when you punch. Make sure the fist is in alignment with your forearm and that you hit with your first two knuckles, again, this is to create proper wrist alignment.

thx for the tips

do you or anyone else know anyways to strenghten the wrists?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: wrist pain - 03/09/07 12:04 PM

Well, I like farmer's walks, just grab a heavy dumbell in each hand and walk around for 30-45 seconds with them. If you don't have access to heavy weights(light ones won't do!) then I used to do knuckle push ups, which help because they use the same alignment as a punch. You simply to push-ups on the two first knuckles, making sure that your forearm and wrist remain straight and perpendicular to the floor throughout the movement. It is best to do these on a carpet or wooden floor, since it can be quite painful on your knuckles at first.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: wrist pain - 03/09/07 02:14 PM

Can I just ask, are you or have you ever received and coaching regarding how to punch? Punching is an art form that is harder than the average person may think.

Re: wrist pain - 03/09/07 02:48 PM

i do know how to throw punches, but i havent really had any coaching about the wrist.

if you dont mind, can you tell me about the art of punching?
ive been looking up everything about punching. any tips that will help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: wrist pain - 03/09/07 05:26 PM

Jeez!! That could take some time. My advice is to go to a local boxing gym. One month and you will have the basics of how to punch.

What type of punches are you doing? Why? Fitness? Increasing speed of your punches? Need some more info first!

Punching is one of the most basic martial moves. As such, most people assume they can automatically do it quite well. The most common punch in boxing is the jab. Done properly, it can be one of the most effective weapons a person can have, regardless of their training requirements. Full extension of the arm is imperative, along with proper roatation of the leg, hip, trunk and shoulder. The fist should finish with the backhand facing up, the clench fingers facing down.

Once more, if you are hurting yourself when you are punching, I would strongly recommend seeking out a diligent boxing/kickboxing/Muay Thai coach to help you improve your technique. Even a good Karate or Tae Kwon Do instructor may be able to help.

Re: wrist pain - 03/09/07 06:11 PM

aw man, you guys are getting the wrong idea. i do know how to punch. its just i hurt my wrist hitting the heavy bag.. i just wanted to know if there are really techniques for protecting the wrists??
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: wrist pain - 03/10/07 12:32 PM

Beating on the bag eh? My advice is stop tugging.

Re: wrist pain - 03/10/07 12:52 PM

The "Carry on..." film convention is that way Dauragon

Re: wrist pain - 03/10/07 01:01 PM

Quote:

Beating on the bag eh? My advice is stop tugging.

lol, great advice man.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: wrist pain - 03/10/07 01:13 PM

Quote:

aw man, you guys are getting the wrong idea. i do know how to punch. its just i hurt my wrist hitting the heavy bag.. i just wanted to know if there are really techniques for protecting the wrists??

Wrap them. Otherwise, do some light "warm-up" rounds on the bag before you start wailing away on it.

Re: wrist pain - 03/10/07 01:41 PM

On a more serious note, try improving your wrist and forearm strength, there are plenty of exercises you can do for this, the simplest of which being forearm curls

Re: wrist pain - 03/10/07 04:14 PM

alright cool.

im prolly just gona do some push ups on my fists.

Re: wrist pain - 03/10/07 06:15 PM

The thing is by doing knuckle push-ups your wrists will only become conditioned to the one position, by doing forearm curls and reverse forearm curls your wrists are being strengthened as they go through a full range a motion, so if your wrists do give as you hit the bag (which happens to nearly everyone at some point no matter how long they've been training) you may have the strength in your wrists to not bend to a point of severe damage after you've punched.

Since I started wrist training I have noticed quite a difference in wrist strength in regards to punching, though in regards to punching I do a fair bit of reverse forearm curls because they work the forearm extensors that are being worked against when the wrists are bent on contact during punching.

Forearm training is a big thing to me, I just like it and the feeling of power that comes with it.
Plus I personally find you can work the forearms alot more than other muscle groups, perhaps because evolution somehow knew we were going to use them quit often so gave them massive endurance in comparrison to other body parts.
So whenever I get the urge to train and all other body parts are fatigued I do some forearm work...my 'other' hobby besides MA

Re: wrist pain - 03/13/07 04:04 PM

males sense. good tips

Re: wrist pain - 03/13/07 08:18 PM

No problem!