Muay thai workouts.

Posted by: KBJC

Muay thai workouts. - 03/05/07 03:43 PM

Hey! I'm new to muay thai and wondering what type of workouts should i be doing? What should i integrete into workouts? I'm only 14 years of age so I have been advised not to use weights.
Posted by: dChun

Re: Muay thai workouts. - 03/05/07 05:19 PM

Welcome!

I started muay thai only two weeks ago so I come here not to give advice for I need some myself. Also, I'm at the age of fourteen too, although I turn fifteen in a couple of days.
Good luck, train hard!

~dChun
Posted by: Shadowtitan

Re: Muay thai workouts. - 03/05/07 05:38 PM

I was advised to use weights at 14-15 just nothing that involves isometric stretching or lifting really heavy weights or rather powerlifting, supersets...my gym teacher said it was healthy, and all that stuff about stunted growth etc was wrong althouge i still would like to see an article backing it up...

http://www.teengrowth.com/index.cfm?acti...subdesc=Fitness

That basicly says what i said no really heavy weights, but you wouldent really be doing 1 set of just 6 reps for any MA conditioning.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Muay thai workouts. - 03/05/07 10:16 PM

At this age, I'd advice you to run, stretch, run some more, and start doing some shadow boxing.

Running is needed for the endurance and strong legs. Stretch you won't injure yourself, and shadow boxing helps your hand-and-feet co-ordination.

I also advice you to do some light weights to get a fundamental how to lift. Ask Dereck or Cord about this.

-Taison out
Posted by: KBJC

Re: Muay thai workouts. - 03/06/07 11:40 AM

I have 5kg dumbells. Is this ok?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Muay thai workouts. - 03/06/07 01:15 PM

5kg dumbells are pretty much useless for weight lifting, they might be good for aerobics though. Do as Taison says, you've got plenty of time before you need to consider weight lifting. Running and stretching will get you fit, which will help you later when you want to train more specifically.
Posted by: Vonni

Re: Muay thai workouts. - 03/10/07 05:27 AM

when you're 14/15 years old, i would advise not to use any weights since your body is still developing. something i'd concerntrate that young would be getting your technique right. you can worry about the strength of your kicks and punches later on, plenty of time to work on that!

kudos to you for starting muay thai early, i'm 17 and only started at the beginning of the year, i wish i had started years ago now.