Bone bruises - treatment advice

Posted by: IronHorse

Bone bruises - treatment advice - 02/22/07 09:17 PM

Received a nasty low kick that I managed to block with my shin. Immediately wished I hadn't though as it sent me limping around the ring, then started to swell up like an egg!

When I pointed this out to my instructor, he asked to have a closer look at it. I willingly lifted my leg up for him to get a closer look and expected some sympathy. Instead he started pushing down hard along my shin to "reduce" the swelling. Unsurprisingly this hurt! but he carried on for a couple of minutes until satisfied it had gone down sufficiently, then advised ice and cold bath when I got home.

Is this normal/recommended treatment? I was dubious but the guy's a seasoned pro, so I figure he knows his stuff. Only I can't see a doctor recommending it? (Obviously ice and rest is good. But the direct pressure?)

Any thoughts?

Incidentally, having watched plenty of televised fights I've never seen a pro fighter limping around after a nasty contact. Is this simply due to conditioning or am I just unlucky? (Colliding with my opponents elbow (with my shin) when going for a kick to the ribs is another favourite of mine)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Bone bruises - treatment advice - 02/23/07 10:48 AM

Hi IronHorse. Welcome to the forums.

I have never heard of physically pushing on swelling as a way to reduce it, except with an ice pack. But that is only used in competitions, as far as I know.

As ar as conditioning or luck, it's probably a bit of both. It does take some exposure to those hits to get used to them. But a "perfect" hit can cause pain no matter how well conditioned you are. There are finite limits to the amount of damage the human body can withstand.
Posted by: IronHorse

Re: Bone bruises - treatment advice - 02/26/07 10:44 AM

Update:

Well its been three days and my shin has recovered surpringly well. Whether this was due to the direct pressure or the ice (or both) I'm not sure, but I'm even thinking about training going training tomorrow, (which previously I'd discounted).

Whilst I was hobbling around a bit on the first day, the swelling was only ever quite slight. What I do have however is a very large area of discolouration, (about three inches wide and four inches long). Presumably the direct pressure spread the swelling out? Whereas it would have been concentrated before. This may have made it easier for my body to recover? ...But I'm no doctor.

Anyway, if you can take the pain, it beats having a swollen shin bone. Just might be better to get someone else to do it for you, as I've not got the stomach to it to myself.