Looking for advice on bag gloves

Posted by: Simmo

Looking for advice on bag gloves - 02/17/07 08:22 PM

Hi guys,
I,m a beginner to boxing and have purchased a heavy bag for my boxing workouts, the bag came with a pair of bag mitts but I,m finding that I,m ending my sessions with bleeding knuckles !!...The cause of which are of course the cheap gloves I,m using.. Can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves for me, price is not a problem as I,d prefer to keep my hands in good condition rather than buy rubbish and regret it later... I,m in the UK so obviously UK outlets would be better but if necessary I,ll buy overseas if required.

Cheers guys

Regards

Dave...
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Looking for advice on bag gloves - 02/17/07 10:26 PM

First those free gloves are not to be used on heavy bags, despite the fact that they gave them too you with them.

Next, get some hand wraps, good ones, not the short everlast ones most sports stores carry. I like the mexican style ones. And learn how to wrap your hands ( http://innovativema.ca/forum/view.php?pg=wraphands )

And last, the best bet is to just use boxing gloves, I like 16 oz gloves for both sparring and bag work. The extra weight gives you a little extra for the workout, and keeps your hands safe.

If you want a lighter pair look to MMA style gloves, the Harbinger style are nice. Easy to find ones are the Century wrist wrap ones.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Looking for advice on bag gloves - 02/18/07 09:49 AM

id buy a pair of 12oz for your first they are good for bag work, twins all the way 1000 baht!