stoping a punch with forehead

Posted by: csrichie

stoping a punch with forehead - 12/22/06 07:12 PM

I heard that u only concern about punches that is coming to ur jaw and hooks. When someone punches to the top of ur skull (not the side where u hit by a hook), they will get hurt more than u will. some instructors even tells their students to do so as oppose to moving back.

However is this true? i found articles online saying that soccer players scored a low score on many brain skill tests such as short term memory ect. in comparsion to swimmers, which might be due to frequent headbutting in the sport.

So although taking punches using ur forehead will not cause immedialy knock out or pain, will it eventually lead to brain damage?

and whatabout some of the karate school that trains headbutts on sand bags? can they develop brain damage from repeatly headbutting the sand bags everyday?
Posted by: Taison

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/22/06 07:40 PM

err. . .

Quote:

. When someone punches to the top of ur skull (not the side where u hit by a hook), they will get hurt more than u will. some instructors even tells their students to do so as oppose to moving back.

No offense meant but how stupid is that? Ok, imagine the force of around 250kg coming your way and you take that with your forehead. Ok, you probably won't get knocked out but your neck however will take serious damage.

The force will make your head recline back very violently which can cause major damage on your neck and nerves around there.

Quote:

So although taking punches using ur forehead will not cause immedialy knock out or pain, will it eventually lead to brain damage?

Of course. What do you think? The brain is a very delicate tissue that is very fragile to shock.

Quote:

and whatabout some of the karate school that trains headbutts on sand bags?

Like which? I'm a karate-ka and I've never even heard of any school that does head-butts. Ok, my instructor tells us like once a year that you can do a head-butt from a situation but that's really rare.

Quote:

can they develop brain damage from repeatly headbutting the sand bags everyday?

C'mon this is common sense. Yes.

-Taison out
Posted by: Romako

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/22/06 09:54 PM

I get a headache just thinking about it.
Deff not a safe block
Posted by: Ayub

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/23/06 12:31 AM

Quote:

However is this true? i found articles online saying that soccer players scored a low score on many brain skill tests such as short term memory ect. in comparsion to swimmers, which might be due to frequent headbutting in the sport.

Headbutting a sack of air with your body weight in it wont give you brain damage. People who play football for a living are just generally less smart in my opinion.
Posted by: ambiguity

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/23/06 01:05 AM

taison is definately on the ball here,but if the situation comes about where you cant 'slip' a punch the forehead is much better than a split eyebrow

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/23/06 02:57 AM

Quote:

taison is definately on the ball here

It's Lord Taison to you. Capital "T" on the beginning with the pre-fix "Lord". This is my domain.

Muhahaha

Back to the subject;
Quote:

if the situation comes about where you cant 'slip' a punch the forehead is much better than a split eyebrow

The forehead is the hardest part of the head but due to it being located near the top of the head, when punched it will force the head to recline back very violently like I stated previously. So if you do decide taking a hit there, you better beg to god that your neck is well trained. I've seen people taken a shot there and unable to move their neck for a few days.

-Taison out
Posted by: crablord

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/23/06 05:07 AM

1) Dont block punches with your forehead. You are not Jet Li
2) If your aim fails, then you end up "blocking" the punch with your face (ouchies)
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/23/06 06:12 AM

Csrichie, are you on a suicide mission? http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...e=0&fpart=1

I read your post about shadow boxing too. Go find a proper school to train at ASAP, otherwise you may do a mischief to yourself sooner rather than later...
Posted by: JKogas

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/23/06 08:33 AM

I believe that Royce Gracie blocked a punch from Keith Hackney using the CROWN of his head. He thought Keith might have broken his hand but he also said that he felt like his scalp might have been lacerated. That's just what I heard him say once.

It's not something that he said he was likely to do again. I would have to agree.

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/23/06 08:37 AM

Quote:

I heard that u only concern about punches that is coming to ur jaw and hooks. When someone punches to the top of ur skull (not the side where u hit by a hook), they will get hurt more than u will. some instructors even tells their students to do so as oppose to moving back.

I have heard this as well, but only as a last resort ie; you can't evade or block the incoming strike. Getting KO'd is a possibility doing this.

Quote:

It can, which is why I don't recommend it as a primary tactic. And to say that it won't cause pain is a big reach, too.

Quote:

and whatabout some of the karate school that trains headbutts on sand bags? can they develop brain damage from repeatly headbutting the sand bags everyday?

Regular, sensible headbutt practice on a heavy bag should not cause any harm. I don't see the need to practice that technique everyday, either. Meh.
Posted by: migo

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/30/06 10:00 PM

If you're going to take a shot, the forehead is better than elsewhere, but it's still better not to get hit in the head at all. If it's a jab it might not be so bad, but if he's landed a jab that means he's got his range to follow up with a nice cross or hook.
Posted by: ChronicGMV

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 12/31/06 04:29 AM

Well I've seen a punch being stopped by someone using their forehead before. They had good neck muscles, the forehead tilted foreward bracing for impact, and ontop of that, they stepped in enough to the point where the arm wasn't fully extended but bended, halving the punch's power in half which probably was the reason his head wasn't snapped back. if you can manage to do that, hey, I see nothing wrong with blocking with the forehead when the occasion arises. Other than that, I've gotten my head jolted back some when my guard was down and the punch landed on my forehead, so it's best just to have a good defense - bob and weave, guard, parry, anything as long as you don't take a direct hit.
Posted by: Shouji

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/05/07 03:38 PM

He saw this in Ong Bak. Your not Tony Jaa!
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/05/07 10:14 PM

Id say thats a real stupid Idea. However, if you want to do something stupid, do it right. Dont use the forehead. Dont use the crown either. The spot I would use would be just above the forehead, along the hair line. If you can manage to bob your head a little you could manage to slip the punch all together or get it to graze off.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/05/07 10:22 PM

No!! Wrong! cock your head back, and then when you see the punch coming....Break his fist with your skull!!

I headbutt tree specificly for this reason.
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/07/07 02:05 PM

This um. . . isn't the brightest idea I've ever seen. Sure, he probably won't crack your skull with his punch, but you also have to remember that your brain is a cluster of nerves floating in fluid. Sudden blows to the head make the brain bounce around in there, caroming off the skull and doing all sorts of other fun things. You might not even notice it at first, but the next day when you're sitting in the hospital with swelling of the brain you might just realize how dumb it is to TRY and block a punch with your head.

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/07/07 07:00 PM

Quote:

I headbutt tree specificly for this reason.

LMFAO THAT EXPLAINS IT LOL!

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/08/07 12:20 AM

Crab, maybe you should spend some time doing the same. You might become "smarter".

-Taison out

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/08/07 05:06 AM

Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/08/07 04:12 PM

The only side effect of my training is a slightly more noticable 'ridge' and reduced amount of hair on the front and top of the head, thats why I always go bald.
Oh...and quite a few scars as well which got me quite a rep...
Posted by: Shouji

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/08/07 07:55 PM

The Bouncer is awesome.
Posted by: muaythaiguy

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/10/07 02:20 PM

In general, I try to face an opponent's punches with my hands down, chest up and chin presented. I figure that way they don't have to work as hard...wait, what? Just move out of the way! Usually by attempting to cut the punch's power with your head and moving into the punch, you turn the strike into a glancing blow anyway. I've used this technique when sparring just to see how it works out. IMHO, it's best not to get hit in the first place, right? Fighting fire with fire may work, but fighting punches with headbutts doesn't sound nearly as safe.
Posted by: Dan1986

Re: stoping a punch with forehead - 01/24/07 06:42 PM

stopping a punch with your forehead is the last form of blocking, you want to slip, bob and weave, first then block with your hands and if that fails use your forehead. The skull is the hardest bone in the human body, thats why boxers wear gloves, so that they wont break their hand, more people hurt thier hands in street fights than any other part of their body. this should never be a main form of defense, but its better to take it in the forehead than the jaw.