Weight training for kickboxing/muy thai

Posted by: Romako

Weight training for kickboxing/muy thai - 12/18/06 10:33 PM

What weight training should I do for kickboxing/muy thai even wrestling?
My weight training routine is this -
monday - bench-205 x4
dumbells 65lbs x12, 70lbs x10, 75lbs x8
other bench muchines 150-200pounds x8

tuesday -
tricep workout around 60pounds x8
bycep workout, curls 45lbs each x8 35lbs x8

wednesday -
squats 225lbs x8, 305lbs x4
powercleaning
back workout

thursday/friday repeat monday tuesday

Is this effective for fighting or only for bodybuilding?
Im trying to do some cardio work out when i have time left.
btw I weigh 160lbs
Posted by: Taison

Re: Weight training for kickboxing/muy thai - 12/18/06 10:45 PM

Being a very "natural" fighter, I'd go for cardio first, muscles second.

If you're training for MT, I'd suggest to go for neck, shoulder and abdomen as a priority, then go for the arms, back, etc.

The lower area like legs, etc, I'd recommend running. A lot. Do rope-jumping, running, sprinting.

In my opinion, if you have the option, go for swimming. It will be a lot milder on your body. No impacts will lead to longer "living" joints.

Another thing; Only work out 3 days a week. That's enough in my opinion. Monday, Wednesday, Friday you do weights. The rest of the week you just do cardio like running, swimming, etc. Sunday is YOUR day OFF. Take a break on that day.

Cord, my fellow moderator, is able to give you more insight into this as he is also a savate boxer and weight-trainer. I think

-Taison out

Re: Weight training for kickboxing/muy thai - 12/18/06 11:12 PM

Cool anymore suggestions is welcome!!!
I swam pretty much most of my life. But only on summer time because its too cold in winter time.
Also i work out everyday except sunday because i have nothing else to do after work, so i just weight lift. Deffintley gonna start jump romp. Btw my friend is in boxing and he is lighting fast. We used to play soccer together and he used to be the fastest guy on the team. His coach at boxing used to train with tito ortiz for ufc (his name is tony V) and he told him in just 2 months of training he is already better than him because of his speed. What workouts can i do to get as fast as I possibly can get? I feel like one day i will face him in the ring because he weighs as much as me. I deff have more power than him though
Its just speed im worrying about.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Weight training for kickboxing/muy thai - 12/18/06 11:16 PM

Yeah lifting heavy 3 days in a row isn't a good idea. When you are resting is when your body is growing. Are you trying to fight in the ring? If so in the land of fighting conditioning is king. Work on your conditioning and everything else comes next. I like to do my Squats on fridays so I have all weekend to rest.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Weight training for kickboxing/muy thai - 12/19/06 12:44 AM

Quote:

What workouts can i do to get as fast as I possibly can get?

Simple. Get educated.

I usually emphasize 3 things; Economy of motion, Precision & Accuracy and finally plyometrics.

Economy of motion is to only move enough to get out of the way, but at the same time not wasting any energy.

Precision and Accuracy is when you're dodging blows, you can land a very accurate at a weak point.

Plyometric. Name says it all. Do it, or forget combative MA as a whole.

Quote:

I deff have more power than him though

Which I doubt. Yes, it he might look weaker but looks are often deceptive. If you want to get somewhere in boxing, never train expecting anything. You must always imagine you're inferiour in both skill, strength, stamina and speed in order to prevail. I'd say, if you do want to beat him, focus on your strength and accuracy. Hitting often but softly can't compare to hitting hard once and knock out.

Training for boxing/kickboxing/MT is all about the mind. Imagine every training session as a preparation for a title match. That way, you'll see a lot more difference in the long term than working out just for "fitness".

-Taison out

Re: Weight training for kickboxing/muy thai - 12/20/06 11:52 PM

He looks way stronger than me.
Im more bulky as he is more cut.
He only has been training in 2 months time now. He says that when I start training he would stop, wait for me to train for 2 months and still be better than me.
Just like you said he judges me by the cover.
When I said im stronger than him I didnt mean by the way we look, but by the way I weight lift compared to him