A form in Muay Thai?

Posted by: Shouji

A form in Muay Thai? - 12/08/06 04:12 PM

I recently joined Team Lloyd Irvin in VA, where they teach Muay Thai and BJJ. However, after a few classes, I notice that the only thing i'm doing in muay thai is just practicing lower-leg kicks, as well as some elbows and knees thrown in. Nothing really significant compared to any other art i've done.

So I try my best not to base MMA off movies, but in Ong-Bak, the protagonist does these sorta forms that imitate elephants, and all these other things (near the beginning of the movie). So that leads me to this question...

Is there a form part to Muay Thai? Luckily i'm doing a 30 days "no strings attached" trial to the Muay Thai gig, but is there any more to Muay Thai then just kicking a bag all day? I'm practically MT illiterate, so an help would be deeply appreciated, as I want to learn MT really badly.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: A form in Muay Thai? - 12/08/06 05:01 PM

The forms come from the older styles of MT like Muay Boran etc. I am not an expert or anything my friend but the MT of today is for fighting, pure fighting and competition. Forms will not help you in the ring or on the street. If your looking for "art", lean towards a form based style but if you want pure fighting lean towards boxing, MT, kickboxing and MMA.

So padwork, bagwork, clinch work, and sparring is about all you will see now but it is for sure worth it.

Brandon
Posted by: jamestkdkungfu

Re: A form in Muay Thai? - 12/09/06 08:29 PM

Quote:

So padwork, bagwork, clinch work, and sparring is about all you will see now but it is for sure worth it.

Brandon

my taekwondo club trains this way, thats why i like it better than other tkd schools but im starting muay thai and its bomb

Re: A form in Muay Thai? - 12/12/06 03:14 PM

Check this out Shouji...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVrDxjcUfU&NR
Posted by: Shouji

Re: A form in Muay Thai? - 12/15/06 06:07 PM

Quote:

Check this out Shouji...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVrDxjcUfU&NR

That is awesome! Thanks for the link.
Posted by: Taison

Re: A form in Muay Thai? - 12/15/06 09:59 PM

Forms? I think you won't being seeing forms for a long time. Actually if you stick with MT there won't be any forms for you to learn.

The forms you saw in Ong-bak, where from Muay Boran and to be honest, I don't know of any establishment that teaches outside of Thailand.

However, MT is very simple to learn but takes years to master. You get a few techniques which is then honed until they become so natural you don't view them as techniques anymore. For example, a kick for me is so natural, I don't know if I could fight without using it.

To hone those natural weapons, you need to work on the bag, sparring and pad work a lot.

-Taison out

Re: A form in Muay Thai? - 12/15/06 10:55 PM

Taison you should put up some training footage bro!
Posted by: Taison

Re: A form in Muay Thai? - 12/15/06 11:44 PM

Eh? Me?

I don't look that attractive

I'm fat and ugly, and can barely move myself from the computer. I'm eating donuts while watching southpark.

-Jokes aside-
I'll try and find some pictures. Most of the pictures I got are me teaching cute girls or putting male students into painful situations.

Another note. I don't practice forms, so I don't do those Tony Jaa stuff. I'm a very modern traditional MB practitioner. I consider myself a martial artist, not a boxer.

-Taison out