left hook vs right

Posted by: boxing_kid

left hook vs right - 11/18/06 11:09 AM

why are a lot of people elft hook more powerful then right?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: left hook vs right - 11/18/06 11:39 AM

Most people are right handed. As such, they will normally fight of a right handed fighting stance, the so called orthodox stance.

In this stance, it is ideal to hook with the lead hand, which, from and orthodox stance, will be the left hand.

In this stance, the weight is placed towards the lead foot, also the left.

As the weight is biasd to the lead foot, more leverage can be generated by the lead hand.

This is a generalization, as no two people punch the same way.

Hooking with the lead hand is usually emphazied more in training, as it travels less, therefore should be faster than the power hand, as it must travel less distance from the boxer to reach its target.

These are generalizations though. This doesn't apply to everyone.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: left hook vs right - 11/18/06 02:55 PM

my left is alot faster than my right therefore more power could be generated, but let me land my right hook with full momentum and its goodnight!
Posted by: Ayub

Re: left hook vs right - 11/19/06 07:53 AM

Quote:

Hooking with the lead hand is usually emphazied more in training, as it travels less, therefore should be faster than the power hand, as it must travel less distance from the boxer to reach its target.

Though the left hook is faster in reaching its target (less distance to travel), its the speed is less. Mechanically the right hook should be, and is more powerful, with correct mechanics you can still get the leverage and as its travelled a longer distance the impact speed will be higher (as its had more time to accelerate). This means more power.

The only reason peoples right hooks are lacking is because they havent trained them enough, if those people did they would indeed be more powerful than their left everytime.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: left hook vs right - 11/19/06 08:29 AM

Quote:

Though the left hook is faster in reaching its target (less distance to travel), its the speed is less. Mechanically the right hook should be, and is more powerful, with correct mechanics you can still get the leverage and as its travelled a longer distance the impact speed will be higher (as its had more time to accelerate). This means more power.

The only reason peoples right hooks are lacking is because they havent trained them enough, if those people did they would indeed be more powerful than their left everytime.

Agreed, you have far more leverage in the rear hook.
Posted by: Mingram

Re: left hook vs right - 01/14/07 01:06 PM

for me it depenends if i have turned to avoid a body hook then i can generate way more force from my right hook however gernerally my left hook will generate more speed
Posted by: theotherguy

Re: left hook vs right - 01/18/07 09:34 PM

i preffer the left hook over the right due to its speed and amount of force...altho the right hook can do just as much if in the right situation like MinGram said turning to avoid a bodyshot or ducking a punch and his bodys open on the rights side...
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: left hook vs right - 01/18/07 10:26 PM

There really shouldnt be an imbalance or preference. If so, there is something wrong with your training. You should be able to use both equally well, as you never know what position you may find yourself in in relation to your opponent.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: left hook vs right - 01/18/07 10:32 PM

The rear hand will generally be the more powerful hand because it has time to develop momentum.

With good shifting of body weight, the lead hook can generate quite a bit of force as well, providing you get weight transference into the shot.

-John
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: left hook vs right - 01/19/07 09:36 AM

I like the hook because it stays hidden a bit longer than the cross but I gotta tell you, I love my right cross. Both I can shift to get body weight and momentum behind but my right sets up cleaner for me.

In all honesty though, it is hard for me to seperate the two seeing as I throw them in combination most times. Lead left jab, right cross, left hook, and if he bends or bobs from those, right uppercut. Sometimes I double up on the hooks. One to the head then to the body or vice versa.

Sorry, didnt mean to go into a disertation on my fighting style. Just got carried away. I am a kicker by definition but a boxer at heart.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: left hook vs right - 01/19/07 11:08 AM

Sorry guys, misread the initial post and now can't edit the other. I fight in an orthodox stance (right handed with left side forward). I use my lead arm to hook, even if I go southpaw. I almost never throw a back arm hook unless the opponent over penetrates, I get turned more than I want to, or I am using it in a combo to set up the next technique and I already have them on the defensive. I use the hook off the lead arm almost always so it isn't a matter of right or left for me, it is more like front or rear hand. I use front.

Sorry for the confusion.
Posted by: Cord

Re: left hook vs right - 01/20/07 03:43 PM

Another reason that peoples non dominant side can generate a harder hook, and indeed be stronger in general, is due to daily function. You r dominant side takes care of fine motor function, whilst your non dominant side does more of your gross motor function tasks.EG. A right handed person would tend to hold a their 10lb baby cradled in their left arm, and hold the bottle of formula in their right hand as they feed the kid. Which arm works harder?
There are many other examples of this- brick layers- brick in the left hand, trowel in the right, so on and so forth.This of course has a knock on effect on your core strength and coordination.

This daily imbalance can mount up to being actually being stronger in what you percieve as your weaker side.

I am southpaw, but tend to fight orthodox. I have a nice hook on both sides, but my left lead hook is my best. If it were a girl I would buy it flowers