Golden Gloves

Posted by: csiron

Golden Gloves - 11/03/06 12:19 AM

Does anyone know about golden gloves boxing tourney? I've searched the net and found zilch, I suppose I could find a boxing gym and ask a human like the old fashioned dayz, but until then, anyone. Im mostly concerned about costs and the time of the event. Im hoping its under 100 hundred bucks and takes place on the weekend. Any info would be appreciated, gracicas amigos.
Posted by: vegantkd

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/03/06 12:32 AM

Takes place in the beginning of the year and new rules are you need at least 5 amateur fights in your book to compete.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/03/06 08:51 AM

Bear in mind I;m not from the USA so have limited knowledge, but here goes:

Golden Gloves are open to any male over the age of 16 but younger than 34. (i'm unsure of the age restrictions for the female golden gloves)

There are a series of regional championships, the winners of which contest the national championships on an annual basis.
Every individual state does not have a GG's tournament. Some, such as New York, do, but some states are grouped together as a region.

Famous winners of the GG national title includ Muhammed Ali and Oscar De La Hoya.

http://www.goldenglovesofamerica.com/

Here is what appears to be the offical site.

Are you budgeting for entering the tournament, or viewing it? If it is soley to view it, it is incredibly unlikely that you will pay anything more than around $10 - $20 dollars for a ticket for regional championships (if even that).

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/03/06 09:41 AM

If you're thinking of entering you need to belong to a boxing club anyway so they will let you know what you need to know.

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/03/06 12:19 PM

My kickboxing gym wants to get us entered for experience plus its gotta be fun, its just been awhile since they've entered fighters so no one knows the details.

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/03/06 12:42 PM

Quote:

My kickboxing gym wants to get us entered for experience plus its gotta be fun, its just been awhile since they've entered fighters so no one knows the details.

When was the last time they entered someone? Boxing is many things, but it ain't fun (in my experience)! There have been big changes to boxing within the last 15 years, it is a totally different beast now.

To be honest, I would recommend you try and enter a small local tournament first, and see how that goes. I mean, you could get put in with someone who has been boxing for years and years and is use to the rules and the sport. Although similar, there are quite a few differences between boxing and kickboxing.

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/04/06 03:02 PM

Im not sure how long since they've entered people. They're gonna get us the info enventually. I really dont care either way, if I can enter and fight I will, if not I'll be training and sparring regardless. I'd prefer to enter though. You say its not fun? What? Your telling me getting punched in the face a lot isnt fun? Hours of grueling conditioning? Not fun? I suppose you think broken noses suck too? Your wierd. Just kidding.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/05/06 09:05 AM

heh, I'm sure prizewriter knows about all the above, how long did you box for PW?

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/05/06 11:15 AM

Around two years of competiting, but I only had 4 fights (won one, lost one, an two were declared draws as they weren't correctly officiated as they were charity shows). I boxed in a small rural club and we had great difficultly getting bouts as we had to fight against other rural clubs. So it was tricky getting somone at the same level and weight category, as well as the same age (I was a junior when I started). And it was hard to get someone to spar against, so it was difficult for any of us to advance in the big annual competitions (though a kid from our place did win the Ulster Boys title).

All in all though, I have trained for about 7 years. I still go down to a gym about once a month to keep myself right, but obviously that is not enough to be a comptent boxer. I just have too many other things to do to commit myself to it 3-4 nights a week like I use to.

Even though I study Judo now, I still do my bag work at home too.

Suppose it was fun when I was a kid, but I had some bad injuries. Had an awful headache for almost a week after my first bout, and the bout I lost had to be stopped due to getting my nose busted open (they have low tolerance for that sort of thing in the amateurs) I wanted to continue but my coach told the ref that was it. Think it was because I was only 17 at the time though.

But I've had my "career" . As younger man I had a fanciful notion of turning pro as to make a few extra bob. The British Boxing Board of Control said that about 2 out of every 3 boxers in the UK are part time, i.e. they have other jobs they work at. So I figured I do it for a while and get some extra cash.

But had a chat with guy who was a trainer for pro's and he talked me out of it. He said the rewards were pathetic when weighed against the dangers and costs of pro boxing. He recalled a story to me of a Belarussian who boxed on a show in England. He said the guy was promised a purse of £4000 by the promoter. So he came over and boxed and got beaten. He left with a little under £900. The promoter didn't tell the fighter that the cost of his flights, accomodation, taxes etc... were all to be deducted.

That story, more than any other, put me off. I told the trainer I had a boring yet solid Civil Service job, and he told me I should keep at it and turn it in to a good career. I took his advice.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, am sure I have bored you all to death!
Posted by: Taison

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/07/06 01:15 AM

No no, it was a good story.

I have to agree with you there. Turning professional isn't really my idea of MA. The cons usually outweights the pro.

Even if you earn $15 million per month, spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair with uncontrolled shaking hands is just... awful.

-Taison out

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/07/06 11:01 AM

Are you talking about Ulster as in N. Ireland? Are you familiar with the Sacred Heart Boxing Club?

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/07/06 01:53 PM

Yes and Yes again!I've heard of them, they are one of the top gyms here along with Holy Family.

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/07/06 04:29 PM

Yeah Sacred Heart (and maybe some Holy Family fighters) come here now and then and fight guys from our gym (Jack Costello) and Harrowgate in exhibitions. We went there I think once.

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/08/06 03:55 PM

Oh right cool. Sacred Hearts is in a rough enough area, so kudos for getting out in one piece!

Do you box yourself?

Re: Golden Gloves - 11/10/06 09:45 AM

Yeah that's what I heard about Sacred Heart. I am a trainer at Jack Costello's. I used to box but then I got back into martial arts and started putting it all together MMA style. So I guess technically I still box.