Some Boxing Questions

Posted by: MastaFighta

Some Boxing Questions - 09/12/06 12:20 AM

I was wondering about a couple of things:

I remember seeing Boxers having some kind of large pad smacked into their abs and I was wondering what it's called and what does it do for you.

Another thing I remember seeing is Boxers having their feet on the top rope of a Boxing ring and laying on their necks on the canvas. They roll on their necks left and right and I was wondering what this is called and what does it do for you.
Posted by: gskowal

Re: Some Boxing Questions - 09/12/06 12:03 PM

The neck exercise is probably for strenghting the neck muscles, some believe by doing so your will be stronger and more resistant to snaping when punch will at the end will give you ability to take stronger punches to the head( less of a chance to be knocked out) does it work? i dont know, it hasnt been proven that it actually helps you with knockouts..
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Some Boxing Questions - 09/12/06 03:26 PM

Regarding the ab excercise, are you referring to a medicine ball? If so, it is done to help condition the abs to tense upon impact, which is what should be done to deter the opponent from hitting your stomach because a) they will feel the impact more, b) it won't effect you as much.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Some Boxing Questions - 09/13/06 05:40 AM

normally i just make a habit of keeping my stomach tensed during the whole fight.
Posted by: Boomer

Re: Some Boxing Questions - 10/03/06 02:50 AM

how do you breathe? seriously...cause your lungs don't operate fully in the chest cavity, so clenching your stomach would ruin your wind for the fight. conditioning is key: train the abs to resist impact, train the cardio to breathe thru your techniques.
Posted by: Duckman540i

Re: Some Boxing Questions - 10/05/06 02:02 AM

So what would be the best way to condition your Abs? What exercises or training is best?
Posted by: silvershamrock

Re: Some Boxing Questions - 10/05/06 07:31 AM

Great core excersizes on this thread.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15833023
Posted by: crablord

Re: Some Boxing Questions - 10/05/06 08:43 AM

Its quite easy actually. Try walking around the room with your stomach tensed, then try running. Theres not much difference in terms of how hard it is. Im not reccomending the method but thats just what i do. I love opponents who dont tense.