Nice Savate Champ highlight reel

Posted by: Cord

Nice Savate Champ highlight reel - 09/07/06 03:31 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5633161731596589304&q=Savate&hl=en

Thought this guy threw some sweet techniques- I am a sucker for footage of decent head kicks that land clean
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Nice Savate Champ highlight reel - 09/07/06 03:57 PM

Very nice, Cord. That guy has some impressive accuracy and timing. Beautiful side kick to the face.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Nice Savate Champ highlight reel - 09/07/06 05:54 PM

The more I watch these videos I can see how versatile each fighter could fight in another venue. This guy would do well in K-1 possibly.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Nice Savate Champ highlight reel - 09/07/06 06:07 PM

There are several aspects of savate that would translate well to K1, most important being they share the same zero tolerance of clinching in the rules.
Lest we forget that in UFC 1 it was a savateur that made it through to the final, and was about the only striker there who actually fought with any measured skill as opposed to wailing away till they ran out of gas. I know it is a world away from where MMA is today, but 30,000 french citizens practice Savate and Savate Defence, so their is a big pool of talent not being tapped there.
Dereck, is Savate widely practiced in Canada, what with the part french cultural history?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Nice Savate Champ highlight reel - 09/07/06 06:15 PM

To be honest I had never heard of Savate before joining this forum ... mind you I probably only knew the basics such as Judo, JJJ, BJJ, Kung Fu, Karate, Taekwondo, etc. I personally do not know of any Savate schools but I have heard that there are some blended with some Kickboxing schools. Also I've heard in Montreal there are quite a few schools but I would suspect this as they are French. There may be many I just have never sought them out. It would be interesting to see though, especially since you have a vested interest in them.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Nice Savate Champ highlight reel - 09/08/06 11:25 PM

I heard of savate in books and such for a long time but have never met a savate practitioner (savateur?) in person or seen a savate school. Dereck, your probably right, there are likely some in Quebec with the french culture and all, as it is a french MA.