Yaang saam khum

Posted by: matxtx

Yaang saam khum - 08/25/06 08:25 PM

What is yaang saam khum?

Does it just mean footwork in Thai or is it a specific way of footwork?
Or......

Cheers.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Yaang saam khum - 08/26/06 03:56 AM

Yaang Saam Khum.

It is the famous footwork performed by MT boxers. Imagine footwork in the beats of 5. At first, your feets are on the ground. On 2, you lift your knee, on 3, it's on the ground, on 4 you lift your knee again and on 5 you kick.

It's that motion where a MT boxer would raise his knee high and stomp down hard to either fake an offense or move forward.

You can see a sample here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3oWUMB9H2U
20 seconds into the movie and on 37th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmbqxx2ztxw
20 seconds in.

Here's a little story passed onto me about Yaang Saam Khum;

It happened one day Siva, Lord of the Heaven, was relaxing in the company of his wife, goddess Uma, in the midst of angels and fairies. Lord Siva looked around and saw a giant who faithfully guarded the entrance to his palace. He recognised the devotion of the giant and spoke to him with kind words. The giant became conceited and asked for 300 square miles of land, where he would have complete control of everything, be it animal or god. The giant's name was Tatawan. Lord Siva granted the wish, and the giant was pleased he could consume anything that strayed into his area. Lord Siva had no power to retake any blessings which went foul.

Tatawan abused his powers, he recited magic spells that would lure innocent beings into his land and he ate them. His strong became stronger by the day, and his appetite grew as well.

Lord Siva knew this could not go on and thus summoned Lord Rama to get rid of this evil giant.

Lord Rama disquised himself as a handsome young Brahmin, and ventured into Tatawan's land.

"Fool! Do you not fear being eaten?"

"My lord, you misunderstand me" Rama said with a trembling voice "I have been looking for a piece of land where I can perform my ritual, according to the magical book. All I need is 3 strides of land. When I finish, I give to you my flesh, for I do not fear death if I can perform the rite worthy of a Brahmin".

"Ha! Ha! This land was given to me by Lord Siva. If you want it for your rite, I grant you as much as you want".

"Once given, will you take it back?"

"If I give you anything, I keep my words."

Rama turned back into his almighty self, and with three strides covered all of Tatawan's land. The giant was scared but before he could act accordingly, Lord Rama was already there and killed the giant.

Yaang Saam Khum, means the "Three Strides Movement".

-Taison out
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: Yaang saam khum - 08/26/06 06:55 AM

MR Taison

Your work should be put on the forum list for future reference.

Excellent stuff.