K1 World Max Finals 2006

Posted by: Cord

K1 World Max Finals 2006 - 08/18/06 03:34 AM

OK, this event took place on june 30th, but Eurosport just ran its coverage last night on their 'Fight club' section, and it was simply the best quality evening of fighting I have seen In any form of combat competition ' in years, possibly ever!

From the quarter finals right through to the Final, I have never seen such a consistent string of top notch fights, and most importantly for K1, the refs/judges called the fights fairly, and with no political agenda or attempt to control who would be in the final.
there were literaly too many highlights to detail, though a special mention must be made of thailands Buakaw Por. Pramuk, Andy Sauwer, Sato, and Gago Drago- all on fire that night. Incredible

I will be keeping an eye open for repeats of this, and urge you all to do the same. If K1 can reproduce this quality on a regular basis from here on in, I would think it will challenge UFC for popularity very soon.
Posted by: Kysogkram

Re: K1 World Max Finals 2006 - 08/30/06 05:33 AM

I saw the event as well, and it was awesome. Lots of really good fighters and good fights. And all the fast paced action that UFC/Pride sometimes fail to deliver.

Oh and Buakaw was in a class of his own. I mean, I thought Gago Drago was a pretty strong fighter, but my god he was schooled by Buakaw .
Posted by: spoonhammer

Re: K1 World Max Finals 2006 - 08/30/06 06:07 PM

Yeah, I saw the clips of Buakaw, he's pretty impressive (check out some of his highlight reels)...Isn't this his 2nd appearance in the K1 Max Finals?
Posted by: Cord

Re: K1 World Max Finals 2006 - 08/30/06 06:28 PM

Yeah, Buakaw is a regular in K1 now, and is consistently awesome.
What I find particularly inpressive is that coming from MT, where by most MT fighters own admission, punching sometimes gets relegated in priorities in favour of more powerful techniques, his punching is as crisp clean and powerful as that of a queensbury boxer.
he has adapted his art to the rule restrictions perfectly- that takes real skill.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: K1 World Max Finals 2006 - 08/30/06 07:38 PM

Miss my free satallite as I used to watch all of the K1's. I like the who gambit that the UFC and Pride have but still enjoy the straight stand up skills of K1 and the mixture of all of the styles. Also love the Grand Prixs where the winners moves onto the next fight till the end. To fight that many fights one after the other takes great endurance and mind set. Always fun and exciting.
Posted by: migo

Re: K1 World Max Finals 2006 - 09/03/06 07:30 AM

Yeah, this was definitely a great event. I'm keeping a copy of it on my computer, it's definitely a re-watch one, and also a great one to introduce new people to be fans of sport MA.