Healthy respect between heavyweights

Posted by: Prizewriter

Healthy respect between heavyweights - 08/09/06 01:54 PM

http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=20087

Some choice comments on the upcoming Peter vs. Toney match by the figthers themselves. Such tender words warm my heart...

Posted by: MattJ

Re: Healthy respect between heavyweights - 08/09/06 06:16 PM

God, this is friggin hilarious! Good find, PW. From the article:

Quote:

By Paul Upham: A media telephone conference call on Tuesday featuring heavyweights James Toney and Samuel Peter turned into a verbal war as both men traded insults down the phone line. In what now promises to be one of the most fiery battles of the year so far, the two will meet on September 2 in a WBC title eliminator at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, USA on Showtime Championship Boxing

After a peaceful beginning to the conference call, 25 year-old Peter 26-1 (22) quickly enraged 37 year-old Toney 69-4-3 (43) when stating his plan of attack.

"I'm going to walk through him," said Peter, bluntly.

"Oh, I like that," replied Toney. "Keep your promise!"

"James Toney is a good fighter," continued Peter, "but I'm going to walk through him. You are not going to stop me. I saw a lot of things that (Hasim) Rahman was not able to do as a heavyweight. But for me. I will really go to war on his body."

When SecondsOut Radio's Eddie Goldman asked both men for predictions, James Toney quickly jumped in with a reply.

"I'm going to knock him out," declared Toney, as Peter laughed heartily. "I'm knocking him out. I'm knocking him out. You are getting knocked out. I promise you."

Peter: You're dreaming

Toney: Speak English.

Peter: You are American and you can't even talk.

Toney: You are a slave.

Peter: You are a slave already.

Toney: You have got a little Russian behind you and I am going to kick your asses.

Peter: You are a slave already. I am from Africa.

Toney: Yeah, you are from Africa.

Peter: You don't even know where you are from. I'm from Nigeria.

Toney: You are from Nigeria? I'm going to send your ass back on a banana boat punk!

Peter: Where are you from? You are a black man, you come from Africa and you call me a slave? You look like a slave.

Toney: I come from my momma. You ain't even got a momma.

Peter: Yeah, yeah, yeah. We don't talk about momma's now. Learn to respect your mom. Talk about ourselves. Talk about yourself. Don't talk about your momma.

Toney: You are a punk bitch. That's all you is.

Things cooled momentarily as SecondsOut's Tim Smith asked Toney what his major advantage was going into the fight with Peter, but it quickly deteriorated into an, at times, inaudible yelling match once again.

Toney: All the guys he fought were paid to lay down. You know that. Weak opponents. Weak ass opponents. I have fought the best fighters in the world in five different weight classes. I have fought the best. For me, there is no damn strategy. There is just me being me. Forget about all the dog [censored] he is talking about.

Peter: Stop talking history. That was history.

Toney: I'll beat your ass. I'll tell you that.

Peter: Stop talking history. You are done. You are done. You are the past. I am the present.

Toney: You are talking all this [censored].

Peter: I talk [censored]? You talk [censored]. You don't worry me. I am going to be the next heavyweight champion of the world.

Toney: Shut up! Shut up!

Peter: You can't tell me to shut up. You can't even speak English.

Toney: You are a telephone talk bitch. You are a telephone talk bitch. That all you is.

Smith then asked Peter what his biggest advantage is going into this fight with Toney.

Peter: I'm going to knock Toney out no matter what.

Toney: Put a bet on like I said.

Peter: Shut up when I am talking.

Toney: No. Why? You ain't nobody.

Peter: Shut up when I am talking.

Toney: Make me shut up, fool.

Peter: Be quiet when the champ is talking.

When moderator John Beyrooty asked for another question from the media, Toney replied, "No more questions. I'm going to train. He made me mad."

"Sit down and talk," said Peter.

"Shut up," replied Toney. "You are going to see me in a couple of weeks, so don't worry about it. You are a telephone talk bit, that's all you is. I own you!"

Re: Healthy respect between heavyweights - 08/15/06 12:48 PM

Seconds out, Round 2!

http://www.secondsout.com/news/index.cfm?ccs=534&cs=20130

This is even worse than beofore for expletives. You have been warned!

P.S. There is a spoiler in there to re Rahman vs Maskaev
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Healthy respect between heavyweights - 08/15/06 02:58 PM

The talk's better than the fighting nowadays in the heavyweght division.
Posted by: Christie

Re: Healthy respect between heavyweights - 08/18/06 07:21 AM

Just an inkling but I think Toney just might be po'd ..

Re: Healthy respect between heavyweights - 08/25/06 11:29 AM

Round 3: http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=20193

Press conference is next week. Goodness knows what'll happen.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Healthy respect between heavyweights - 08/25/06 12:07 PM

he's compensating for something