advice on thailand trip please

Posted by: Crash

advice on thailand trip please - 08/05/06 11:49 PM

So this is what's going on with me, I have to do one more semester of school and then I'll be finished , I should be done around January. After that I've decided to get a job and save as much money as I can for a year or two and train hard at the same time, I'll try to get as many amatuer kickboxing fights as I can. Then I plan to travel. I've been seriously considering a trip to thailand to learn Muay Thai, I know it's not the only place to learn but I've wanted to go for a long time, I just want to travel and get out of my home town for awhile, better yet my country, I've never even left Canada before. I currently do Kickboxing but I want to make a transition to Muay Thai at some point. And since I've been wanting to go backpacking or something I found a site www.lonelyplanet.com and on the thailand forum I looked under sports and found a list of sites to thai boxing gyms with accomodations and such, many of them specialize in training forieners.

www.bestmuaythai.com - Phuket
· www.fairtexbkk.com - Samutprakarn (35~45 minutes north of Bangkok)
· www.horizonmuaythai.com/index.html - Ko Pha Ngan
· www.lannamuaythai.com - Chiang Mai
· www.phuketmuaythai.com - Phuket
· www.sityodtong.com/home.htm - Pattaya
· www.thaiboxings.com - Sor.Vorapin, Jakapong Rd (near KSR), Panakorn, Bangkok - article
· www.wmcmuaythaicamp.com - Ko Samui (Lamai)

I know it's alot to look at but I would be really, really, really thankful to get opinions on these places, especially from people who have trained in thailand before, and especially Taison who, as I understand lives in thailand and has trained in Muay Thai for years. If anybody has heard of these gyms please tell me what you know about them.

Some things to consider: I wouldn't be going for about two years or so, I only speak english but I'd be completely willing to learn how to speak thai, I'd want to stay and train for at LEAST a few months.

I'm thinking ahead right now, I figure I'm young and don't have major obligations to stay here so why not take advantage while I have the chance?

thank you in advance! thank you, thank you, thank you!
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/06/06 03:22 AM

....Taison help?

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/07/06 11:29 AM

Posted by: shaokhan79

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/07/06 05:07 PM

i've been to lanna muay thai myself. since it's up in the north in chiang mai, the weather was much cooler than bangkok, which made training bearable.

i think you have to take into account the weather in your choice. from what i remember, parts of thailand go to rain seasons, especially in the south (phuket).

and take note that some cities like pattaya is known as a city built on sex tourism... not sure if it'll be your kind of city for a few months.

do drop by at lumpini stadium in bangkok, and feel the energy of the thai crowd...

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/07/06 09:42 PM

Thank you for your reply! I have taken in to consideration the weather and I sure won't be going during typhoon season . By the way when did you train with lanna muay thai? and for how long? did you have one trainer or a bunch while you were there?

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/08/06 05:45 PM

i stayed about a week in chiang mai and trained for 3 days... it was a typical vacation (2 weeks long) so i didn't have more time to train. But being able to train in MT in thailand was one of the main reason why i chose to go there. That and things are insanely cheap from a canadian standard... (also from canada )

the owner of the lanna muay thai (a brit i think) was absent during my stay there (off to teach in seminars or something) which was kinda unfortunate as it was obvious that i couldn't be made a MT fighter in 3 days so i wanted to focus on elbows/knees to compliment my usual kung fu training. Except the owner the other trainers speak little english, and i was unable to specify my needs. regardless, i learned a lot in those 3 days.

there were about 4 trainers total, i'm not sure how it works in a typical gym, but they'd come to me and we'd do pad work. i didn't have one specific guy with me...

i think Chiang mai > bangkok. the polluted air in bang kok is killer.

be safe in thailand... u dont' want to bring a STD as a souvenir.

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/08/06 06:51 PM

So did all the trainers speak english?

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/08/06 08:40 PM

Quote:

Except the owner the other trainers speak little english, and i was unable to specify my needs. regardless, i learned a lot in those 3 days.

very little... but they know "training" words. my favorite trainer kept saying balance! balance! whenever i kicked.
Posted by: Taison

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/09/06 04:19 AM

I've been to most of those places and to be honest, some of them are quite expensive.

Fairtex is famous for it's over-the-average price. Staying and living with them will be like living in a 4 star hotel, except you'll sweat and not be very comfortable.

Sidyodtong provides good training for competition but Pattaya isn't the best place to train in now, as they are experiencing a boom, so building are being built everywhere. A lot of dust, sand and vehicles everywhere.

Sor.Vorapin is good but training in BKK isn't the smartest. Not much space to go running and the dust, smoke and exhausts from cars can make you sick instead of stronger.

I'd suggest training in either Phuket or Chiang mai, but I'm more biased towards Chiang Mai as the weather is cooler there. Phuket is hot, and imagine running for 40 min everyday in the blazing sun.

-Taison out

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 08/09/06 08:52 AM

Thank you for your advice! I think I would like to train outside of a big city anyway, I'd like to stay away from to many distractions. Have you trained in Phuket Taison?
Posted by: Shark2

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 12/13/06 09:14 AM

I prefer Chiang Mai to Phuket, the weather is cooler, food and accomodtion is cheaper and not so sleazy. Chay-yai gym is by far the best gym in the North having trained many famous boxers. Its a small gym where you get plenty of attention (5 trainers)
www.muaythaicamps.com
Lanna has too many foreigners and therefore you might find trainers a little overworked and disinterested.
Bangkok: Sasiprapa is a famous gym good boxers and manager Mr Thakoon spaeks good English, not sure of the web address.
Pattaya: ISS is small but very good (Peter Aerts trains there sometimes) Sityodtong has a long history and good trainers. Pattaya is pretty sleazy though.
Fairtex has the best facilities but by far the highest prices, i dont think its good value for money.
Plenty of choices but for me Chay-yai Gym is where i got the most attention and learnt the most, also a very friendly atmosphere.

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 12/13/06 09:45 PM

And the point in you saying this after the thread has been dead for at least 6 months is?

Are you trying to advertise? My advise; don't.

-Taison out
Posted by: crablord

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 12/14/06 03:53 AM

ill advertise you in a minute

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 12/16/06 11:05 AM

Quote:

And the point in you saying this after the thread has been dead for at least 6 months is?

Are you trying to advertise? My advise; don't.

-Taison out

wow
give the guy some slack
and he didn't seem like he was advertising... please don't jump to conclusions

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 12/17/06 08:13 AM

Give the guy some slack?

hmm.. Let me think. . no.

-Taison out
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: advice on thailand trip please - 12/18/06 05:44 AM

<<I prefer Chiang Mai to Phuket, the weather is cooler, food and accomodtion is cheaper and not so sleazy>>

Patong beach is sleazy, Phuket Island itself is no more sleazy than Chaing Mai which has its fair share of sleaze. In the hot season Chaing Mai can get alot hotter than Phuket and you dont have the Andaman sea to cool off in up in landlocked Chaing Mai ....as for eating, its incredibly easy to find good, cheap eateries anywhere on Phuket by avoiding tourist oriented restaurants and observe where Thais eat.