Boxing Workout Advice

Posted by: ChronicGMV

Boxing Workout Advice - 08/02/06 10:06 AM

Well, I'll be starting boxing with my uncle in a month but that doesn't neccessarily mean that I'll get the best trainer ever which is why I'm here to ask about some things I wanted to know.

How would I increase my dash/sprint speed? For the past week I've been jogging, the first half I did, I was jogging for 15-20 minutes. I wasn't satisfied with that so I boosted it up to an hour and while running, I noticed that my left rib would ache. Is that a good sign or bad? Would jogging for an hour neccessarily mean faster dashing speed?

I want to increase my muscle size, how would I go about that WITHOUT having to pick up on weight lifting? I want to work on forearms, biceps, chest, trapezoids, my thigh muscle, and my calves.

How would I increase my resistance strength to taking blows to my ribs, head and to my sternum? How would I go about increasing my abdomen strength? I do crunches but that's not enough in my opinion. How do I work the bottom abs? And how would I work the higher abs? How do I get the muscles that go under your near your arm pit(I've seen people with it and it looked as though their ribs were getting muscles!!)?

How do you decrease your body fat percantage?

How do you work on being able to shift weight from side-to-side? Any drills for this?

How exactly do you shadowbox?

How do you increase stamina? Arm stamina for being able to constantly deliver punches?

I know basic punches like hook, straight, cross, jab, uppercut, liver blow, and whatnot, but in this week, I've been doing some research on boxing and it seems there are moves beyond that.. I never in my life heard of a gazelle punch, dempsey roll, corkscrew punch, and a "smash".. It seems like these moves are neglected or aren't even taught anymore.. Were these moves effective or were they just things that only worked for that one person? Also, are counter-punches used a lot?

What kind of workout does a boxer do? I heard that they mostly do running, and that they don't mess around with weights so much, so my question is: how exactly do these guys get such bodies?

Also, have any of you ever been a matches or even have your pro-licenses? How hard was the test for your license? What do you have to do in the test? Do you box or is there only a written test?

What kind of boxing styles are there? The only one I've heard of is Southpaw Style and I think there's no difference between this style and a regular fighting stance other than the person using this stance has his right leg as the lead leg.

I've caught on to a boxing show recently and it seems that boxers are ensteeled with tenacity and a motto of "never give up". Is this something you, yourself, as a boxer can agree to?

How can you deliver effective blows from a clinch or at a close distance where weak blows are expected? I've learned that shifting your weight would be of great use here so that effective blows can be dealt from just this small distance? For 10cm, is the distance, I think.

What kind of footwork is there in boxing?

What are some of the mental problems you can run into when boxing? When being overpowered by an opponent, does this send a message of fear that never leaves the back of your mind, which results in lousy boxing from that point on?

What kind of problems would you run into while doing boxing? I mean physical problems? Brain damage? Is brain damage often a result in a match when it comes to boxing?

Are there scheduled matches for people who AREN'T licensed boxers?

Do gloves add to the force of your punch or does it lighten it slightly?
Posted by: Kazama

Re: Boxing Workout Advice - 08/02/06 11:31 AM

Well, the rib thing is probably just a cramp. Most people get them when they have just started running, but eventually your body will get used to it. As for the muscle mass and function, one great website is www.naturalstrength.com. They have pretty much everything you need to know, from why people should be strong to developing functional strength. They also have old articles (from the late 1800's to 1930's) which have great loads of usefull information http://www.naturalstrength.com/history/default.asp

Shadow boxing is just boxing without a partner, and a good cardio workout. That's pretty much all I'm qualified to tell you.

edited to fix link
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Boxing Workout Advice - 08/02/06 12:17 PM

Quote:

How would I increase my dash/sprint speed? For the past week I've been jogging, the first half I did, I was jogging for 15-20 minutes. I wasn't satisfied with that so I boosted it up to an hour and while running, I noticed that my left rib would ache. Is that a good sign or bad? Would jogging for an hour neccessarily mean faster dashing speed?

Rib ache is probably a cramp as stated before. Jogging will NOT help your sprinting speed. You need to work sprinting drills for that.

Quote:

I want to increase my muscle size, how would I go about that WITHOUT having to pick up on weight lifting? I want to work on forearms, biceps, chest, trapezoids, my thigh muscle, and my calves.

Check the strengthening forum, and read ShaolinNinja's sticky on "Excercises without weights".

Quote:

How would I increase my resistance strength to taking blows to my ribs, head and to my sternum? How would I go about increasing my abdomen strength? I do crunches but that's not enough in my opinion. How do I work the bottom abs? And how would I work the higher abs? How do I get the muscles that go under your near your arm pit(I've seen people with it and it looked as though their ribs were getting muscles!!)?

Spar.

Quote:

How do you decrease your body fat percantage?

Eat less and excercise more.

Quote:

How do you work on being able to shift weight from side-to-side? Any drills for this?

Spar.

Quote:

How do you increase stamina? Arm stamina for being able to constantly deliver punches?

Get a punching bag and do rounds on that. Spar

Quote:

I know basic punches like hook, straight, cross, jab, uppercut, liver blow, and whatnot, but in this week, I've been doing some research on boxing and it seems there are moves beyond that.. I never in my life heard of a gazelle punch, dempsey roll, corkscrew punch, and a "smash".. It seems like these moves are neglected or aren't even taught anymore.. Were these moves effective or were they just things that only worked for that one person? Also, are counter-punches used a lot?

Some of those things are more advanced, some people have a hard time using them. Counter punches are used a lot, but depends on who you're fighting.

Quote:

What kind of workout does a boxer do? I heard that they mostly do running, and that they don't mess around with weights so much, so my question is: how exactly do these guys get such bodies?

Running, bag work, jump rope, and sparring.

Quote:

How can you deliver effective blows from a clinch or at a close distance where weak blows are expected? I've learned that shifting your weight would be of great use here so that effective blows can be dealt from just this small distance? For 10cm, is the distance, I think.

Weight shift and hip movement.

Quote:

What kind of footwork is there in boxing?

????????????????

Quote:

What kind of problems would you run into while doing boxing? I mean physical problems? Brain damage? Is brain damage often a result in a match when it comes to boxing?

Injuries *should not* be serious in a well trained boxer at well run matches. Scrapes and bruises are par for the course, along with the occasional broken rib, nose and hand.

Quote:

Do gloves add to the force of your punch or does it lighten it slightly?

Both. People have a tendency to punch harder since their hands are protected by the gloves, but the gloves mitigate the impact on the opponent, so....meh.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Boxing Workout Advice - 08/02/06 01:45 PM

Good stuff from Kazama and MattJ, will just add some more if I may.

In regard to be coming more punch resistant, the first thing is... don't get hit! In terms of conditioning yourself to getting punched, you should could try incorportating medicine ball work into your upper body/abs workout. Get someone to gently drop the m. ball on you as you do a sit up or crunch, it will get you use to tensing your muscles on impact.

I would also ask you to reconsider weight training, unless you have very specific reasons for not doing it.

In regard to the "moves" you mentioned, they are still taught today, its just done so in a more uniform way. I was not familar with the term "Dempsey Roll" myself until recently, but really it is your basic bob and weave. Dempsey just used its momentum to attack, rather than as a defensive movement. There is not point in learning the Dempsey roll, as it teaches you that the B&W as an offensive component, instead of something that can be used for defensive purposes. It's like only learning to jab for offense. Better to learn the B&W, then use it as situation dictates. Gazelle punch...leaping left hook... it's all taught, but under more formal names. Don't be fooled by eye-catching titles, there are more straightforward names for the moves you mention.

Boxers don't mess around with weights???????? Are you mad!!!!!! Ever hear of Roy Jones, Marco Antonio Barrera, Evander Holyfield, Marvin Hagler, Mike Tyson or Ricky Hatton!!! They regularly "mess around" with weights. They have all specific weight training regimes for them. Weight training can add size, speed, flexibility, strength, mass and do many more great things for atheltes, boxers included. Nearly all of the top pro's weight train. Who told you they don't weight train? They need to check their facts. I hope for your sake Cord or Dereck don't wander by this thread...

Requirements to obtain licenses vary from country to country, and in the USA, from state to state. So states in the USA are beyond a joke. Consider that Araon Pryor, aged 33, was granted a license to box by a state in the USA (I think it was Missourri) when he was medically blind in one eye! There are still countries like Puerto Rico & South Africa who are prepared to let Joe Mesi box, despite his appauling neurological condition.

Normal requirements require you to pass a medical, the quality of which varies greatly. That's about it. It is entirely possible in most countries to gain a pro liscense without having any amateur bouts. Consider that Jameel McCline, current heavyweight fringe contender, only had a single amateur bout.

Southpaw isn't a "style", its a stance. End of story. "Styles" are quasi-terms used to describe the boxers approach to fighting E.g. Ricky Hatton is a brawler, Floyd Mayweather is a slickster (superb defensive boxer). Stay away from so called styles, as they limit your range in boxing. Ricky Hatton has solid defensive skills, he as very good head movement. Floyd Mayweather can rough it up if he wants. Their respective "stylings" don't take that into account though, hence you don't get a full picture of a boxers capabilities. Plus when you start gettin into "stlyes" you limit your own development. If you set out to be a slugger, a good boxer will pick you apart. If you set out to be a boxer, a workhorse will grind you down. Every "style" can be beaten. Work on everything, and you will have strengths as a boxer no doubt, but have a good all round game. "Styles" give you a plan A, and that;s it. In boxing, you need Plan A, B, C, D.....J, K, L... you get the idea.

I have seen some of the toughest men who walked the face of the planet quit in a boxing ring. Robert Duran vs. Ray Leonard II, the imfamous "No Mas" event. Yet Duran was one of the hardest guys who ever laced up gloves. Boxing, like all other martial arts (and other endavours in life) can draw this the great qualities out of you. Some boxers, like some people in life, have no heart for the fight. Some do. Boxing doesn't teach you this kind of fortitude, but it requires it from time to time though. That's when you find out.

Basic foot position for a boxer is the boxer facing north on the face of a compass, while his feet point east. For all those MA's out there who are familar with the L-stance, boxers footing is like an L-Stance, but wil the lead foot pointing in the same direction as the back foot. Footwork in boxing is crucial, there are many excercises for this. PM me or post back if you want more info.

Does boxing make you afraid? No, it is the individual that has the fear, whether they box or not. Certainly though, boxing can help you over come this fear. You have to conquer fear. See my sig for more help re this

R.J. McCunney and P.K. Russo conducted an extensive report into the fatalities of professional boxing. They found that boxing ranked only 8th in their league of most dangerous sports, averaging 1.3 deaths per 100000 participants. However, the report also concluded that most pro boxers will suffer some sort of mental disorder in their life time (almost 3 out of every 4, in fact). But amateur boxing has a far superior safety record, with many people having successful amateur careers without suffering any long lasting damage. This is due to great medical and safety precautions that are standard across the world, and have been set out by the AIBA.

No doubt there are illegal fights taking place. But the key word is "ILLEGAL". It is against the law to box without regulation in pretty much every country in the world that has electricity.