mauy thai techniques

Posted by: night

mauy thai techniques - 07/21/06 01:28 AM

i was wondering if anyone had any site that could show some of the techniques of mauy thai. i have wanted to learn mauy thai but since i can't afford to take a class i just memorize the techniques and practice them.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/21/06 05:33 AM

though it could technically work I would suggest trying to download or buy some instructional videos because alot of people arent used to the mechanics (especially kicking) of the art without good practice and correction from an instructor...though this could be said about any art really.

Download videos (instructional if you can), look at those mini-instructional youtube videos, google video..learn off someone demonstrating the techniques instead of a still picture. The videos are more alive. And I dont think an instructional vid costs that much, maybe $30 tops?
Posted by: Cord

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/21/06 05:45 AM

Quote:

And I dont think an instructional vid costs that much, maybe $30 tops?

If you can afford that, you can afford a foundation month of training at a good muay thai school/class.

Muay Thai training requires bags, pads, sparring partners, and expert tuition.

You can either
a) save up for the equipment, buy an instructional video, and start punching and kicking with no way of telling if you are doing it right

or

b) save the same amount of cash you would need for the heavy bag, bracket, gloves, and video,(around 200 bucks total minimum) then take it and invest it in qualified instruction, where you will be using pro grade equipment, with in person help and advice, plus getting to test what you have learned against real sparring partners.

There really is only one sensible choice.

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/21/06 06:01 PM

well you dont necessarily need equipment if your training at home to learn techniques, you're not hitting anyone

but like I said learning under someone is the only way you know you are developing and training properly

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/22/06 03:57 AM

there is no way IMO to learn MT with no resistence- how do you clinch air? if you throw an MT roundhouse as it should be thrown with nothing to recieve its power, you are going to spin yourself dizzy and throw your hip out.

What we think of as MT (what you see in competition) is all about contact- the training is intense and equipment intensive. Muay Thai Pads (so synonamous with the training, they have that name), and heavy bag, are the minimum requirement IMO. Shadow boxing has its place, but if you only train to hit shadows, you will never be prepared to hit flesh.

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/22/06 12:34 PM

i agree on that about the competition part. But still its not ESSENTIAL, meaning you can learn and practice the techniques without having to hit anything. For example, Tony Jaa practices something almost like a kata in Ong Bak. I know this is just a movie but I'm sure you get my point. And if hes just starting in MT I think getting a feel for the techniques and having proper form is more important than getting that shock training. Theres plenty of time for him to do that after he learns how to do a thai kick.

And if you're really short on cash, go buy yourself a big bag of rice....theres your "heavy bag"

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/22/06 01:16 PM

Quote:

But still its not ESSENTIAL,

Then why do all muay thai training camps in thailand rely exclusivly on full resistance strike training? These are the schools that train the fighters in the home of the art, i suspect they know a thing or two about how to get the best results.
Quote:

meaning you can learn and practice the techniques without having to hit anything.

Can you though? If you learn all the techniques of how to fly a sesna plane from a book, and you play flight sims on your PC, can you call yourself a pilot, or do you need to actually fly a plane to know you can do it for sure?

all techniques work wondefully against imaginary oponents,but you dont know what works for you until you do them 'for real' and strikes from the clinch need a bag or partner to get hold of- the resistance helps generate the power.

Quote:

For example, Tony Jaa practices something almost like a kata in Ong Bak. I know this is just a movie but I'm sure you get my point.

I get your point that its just a movie.

Quote:

And if hes just starting in MT I think getting a feel for the techniques and having proper form is more important than getting that shock training.

And without instruction how do you suggest he gets 'a feel for the techniques' exactly? He will have no tuition, and no feedback from a resisting surface. At least if he insists on flying blind, a heavy bag will let him know very quickly if his wrist is out of line when he punches, or if he is getting any power transfer into his kicks. It may cause a few ouchies, and be a painfull learning curve, but he wont be kidding himself that he is getting anywhere whilst swinging his limbs at nothing but air.

Quote:

Theres plenty of time for him to do that after he learns how to do a thai kick.

i am all for him learning to thai box properly- for that he needs instruction. If he cant afford that now, he needs to save till he can. If he wants it bad enough he will succeed.
Posted by: monji112000

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/22/06 05:15 PM

Its simple you can't learn to swim without getting in the water. You can learn the basic mechanics of any MA style without a target or resistance. BUT you need those two things to learn to use the MA style. You can't learn stratagie, timing, distance ect.. from a Kata.

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/23/06 04:42 PM

Of course he would eventually need to start hitting something, thats not what I'm debating about. Hes a beginner I assume, so he could practice the few things he could pick on on video by himself without the need of buying a whole gym worths equipment. There are always things you can do when you're at home by yourself with the need of equipment. Sure it helps, but its not an absolute law that you need one to practice. I've seen my brother practice at home without bags or anything dozens of times.

And comparing it to swimming or flying a plane is some what off because hes actually doing the action. As in he is swimming but maybe only in 3ft water with floatation devices. But even so he'll get a feel for what it really is until he can get himself into a class.

And I'm not saying he can learn MT all by himself without ever hitting anything. I'm suggesting a temporary solution. Of course he cant learn without proper guidance. Thats me saying I learned martial arts from watching Chuck Norris movies.

And like I mentioned before, a nice rice bag is a nice cheap substitue to a heavy bag.

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/23/06 05:18 PM

Quote:

Of course he would eventually need to start hitting something, thats not what I'm debating about. Hes a beginner I assume, so he could practice the few things he could pick on on video by himself without the need of buying a whole gym worths equipment.... But even so he'll get a feel for what it really is until he can get himself into a class.

you know, all you are advocating here is allowing him to ingrain bad habits and poor technique into his natural coordination. These will then have to be 'deprogrammed' by his instructor, before he can begin making progress learning what he actually should be doing. It would be better to do nothing other than some basic fitness work as prep for joining a MA class- then he could start learning properly from day 1.

Quote:

And I'm not saying he can learn MT all by himself without ever hitting anything. I'm suggesting a temporary solution. Of course he cant learn without proper guidance. Thats me saying I learned martial arts from watching Chuck Norris movies.

How can an unsuitable situation be valid if only for a short time?
how does an untrained person, with zero experience from which to draw from, gain any more value from a youtube clip than a Chuck Norris Movie?

Its the very beginning of your training that is the most important, not the more advanced. Basics are your foundation, every effort needs to be made to ensure the basics are learned right first time. If the basics are wrong, then nothing of value can be added later.

Better to train for a year in a MT club, then switch to training at home, than flounder around at home for 12 months only to be told you have to start from scratch when you finally train with someone who knows what they are doing.

If you cant see that, then fair enough, but you will never convince me of your logic as it stands.

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/23/06 05:41 PM

I understand what you're saying and I understand what I'm saying, we could just leave it at that

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/23/06 05:54 PM

Saves going around in circles

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/23/06 06:04 PM

haha I think we'll both agree on that one
Posted by: Taison

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/24/06 01:47 AM

No comment. Cord you just made me unemployed. . .

-Taison out
Posted by: Kazama

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/25/06 05:02 PM

I have an ebook if you want it. Post your email or pm me.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: mauy thai techniques - 07/29/06 03:42 PM

Wow...interesting replies to say the least.

You can familarize yourself with MT through books, instructional videos and downloads, and I'm sure you already know you won't be an expert or perhaps not even proficient without proper instruction.

Get some resources, have fun and enjoy your training, just don't mistake it for something it's not.
Posted by: night

Re: mauy thai techniques - 08/15/06 05:27 AM

i understand that i will not be an expert by reading a book on it but it will help me understand how Mauy Thai works and how the strikes work. if i know the basics of how they work i can see if they work for me and incorporate them into a style of my own.
Posted by: WildBill

Re: mauy thai techniques - 08/15/06 11:06 AM

I found a good pdf "book" awhile back on e-mule. It has pictures with "translated" descriptions, it is called "Muay Thai - the art of fighting"....it was shared/translated for free by someone who bought it I guess. It is quite good for learning... (well at least seeing) some of the more advanced Thai stuff that not many in the west are really qualified to teach any way.