Muay Thai Roundkick?

Posted by: Eveal

Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/15/06 08:49 PM

Through my years of training karate I have been implanted with a karate style roundkick. I want to change it to more of a muay thai style round kick due to the maximum effectiveness of it. Can anyone give me some tips or a video that will help me with it. When I try it, it seems I have alot of stress on my knees and it feel awkard. Thanks
Brandon
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/15/06 09:30 PM

hmm which knee are you talking about? the kicking one or the pivoting one??

There are many videos of Muay Thai in the forum and everywhere online too. Just go to youtube.com or google video and just type in Muay Thai.

A big difference between a Thai kick and other kicks is that theres no snapping in the kick. An analogy I like is think of your karate kick as a chain, and think of a thai kick as a baseball bat. The bat swings completely through the target, it doesnt stop at the body it goes past it. Also you have to pivot on the ball of your foot...um thats all I can say, its easier if I just showed you.

Anyway, a big thing I would do is find someone who practices MT and learn from them. A lot of times people think they are doing MT but they arent, so I would check with someone who knows and who can show you

In the mean time check out this clip
Thai kick
Posted by: ShoNuff_sensei

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/17/06 03:36 AM

It is powerful because you open the hip more, but the supporting leg is left out and turned out which can hurt balance and if you aren't quick enough after the kick or miss entirely, you can twist an ankle or your opponent could intercept you and break your knee in that sideways rotation of the knee (and turning your back in the spin around kick can be bad)

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/17/06 07:49 AM

you wouldnt twist your ankle if you do it right. Though I'm not going to argue about the faults and weaknesses of the position of MT or any other art. You shouldnt get hurt from doing this kick, if you do then you're probably doing it wrong.

Also when you kick and connect you're supposed to give a little push from your leg so that it can return to starting position. So its kick and then push off with your shin. Check out the video I posted up there, I think he does the push too.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/18/06 05:46 AM

You sure don't know what you're talking about.

In MT, the supporting leg is twisted with the BALL OF THE FOOT, so if ever your supporting foot is flat on the ground, you're doing a huge mistake.

MT is a scientific martial art, which means, it does not contain any type of technique that will harm yourself through over use, except if you keep getting punished by the opponent. This implies that no matter how many times you kick, you will not get hurt unless you're doing it wrong.

The reason why you twist your body at the ball of the feet is that your sole will have less fraction with the ground, as you almost completely lift up your ankle and heel, and it will also result in the foot and knee being parallel which is not detrimental to your health.

The MT kick is a powerful one, and very unsafe if you don't know what you're doing. Experience will be your teacher.

-Taison out

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/18/06 01:33 PM

didnt i essentially state that?
Posted by: Taison

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/19/06 01:57 AM

Oops, replied to wrong person. Sorry dude.

I meant the guy before you. Anyway, enjoy your 3 days ban.

Quote:

1st Rule: Taison is never wrong

Quote:

2nd Rule: If he is wrong, follow rule 1

-Taison out
ps. . Just kidding, yeah, you're right on your post but I take the credit

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/19/06 06:21 AM

hahaha, alrite you can have it...atleast for now
Posted by: adaca

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/19/06 11:43 AM

Interesting about the ball of the supporting foot thing with a kick to the thigh.
I some times do it and sometimes dont.More flat footed turning the supporting foot out first.
Just been watching a teaching vidio on thigh kicks it seems he does and doesnt use the ball of his supporting foot.

Im not arguing just seeing things from a different angle

Posted by: BigRod

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/24/06 03:23 PM

Quote:

In MT, the supporting leg is twisted with the BALL OF THE FOOT

100% correct. this is textbook muay thai. Now, does everyone do it that way 100% of the time? of course not. but the "proper" execution of the technique means you spin with the ball of the foot.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/24/06 04:06 PM

There is another method, used in kickboxing sometimes. You set the foot in the pivoted position, before throwing the kick, and just kick through. I greatly prefer the pivot on the ball of the foot, though, because it is faster, and will not damage your joints. In WTF TKD all roundhouse kicks are pivoted, and hips are turned into the target, off the ball of the foot.

Just saying there is another technique. I don't like it much, but some people do.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/24/06 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In MT, the supporting leg is twisted with the BALL OF THE FOOT

100% correct. this is textbook muay thai. Now, does everyone do it that way 100% of the time? of course not. but the "proper" execution of the technique means you spin with the ball of the foot.

Hmm, interesting, the same thing is done in TKD.

Re: Muay Thai Roundkick? - 06/24/06 10:23 PM

definitely right about the stepping and then kicking part. The clip i posted up previously shows the guy demonstrating that. But I mean people can pivot on their ball or their entire foot, but I think the key key thing that is stressed here is pivoting itself. No pivot = less power and more tendency to injury.