Boxing exercise/training drills/regime

Posted by: amfony

Boxing exercise/training drills/regime - 06/11/06 02:47 AM

hay guys,

I got my self a havy bag, speed bag and ceiling floor bag. I know how to work the heavy bag because of my MT experience, but drills and exercises with the speedbag and ceiling/floor im not tosure besides just "going at it"

Also im after a boxers training regime, as in what ti achieve everyday.

Im not looking for prize fighter sort fo training just something that i can achieve that will strengthen/faster/stamina improve me in areas that boxers need. (im not a boxer, but i like to vary my training to other sports specific)

So for example,

100 x pushups
100 x situps
40 mins running
20 chin ups

daily/weekly .. you tell me

thanks guys
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Boxing exercise/training drills/regime - 06/11/06 10:13 AM

When I trained as a boxer:

3.25 kilometre run (2 miles, more or less.)

6 x 2 minute rounds of skipping

6 x 2 minute rounds of bag work, broken down as follows:

1st round jab & straight hand
2nd round as above, but moving round the bag.
3rd, 4th & 5th round, as above, but with all punches
6th round. Flat out punching. Form was not so important here.

4 x 2 minute rounds of sparring (Likely N/a in your case)

Finish up with a circuit of:

Dips for 90 seconds
Press ups 90 seconds
Situps w/ medicine ball for 90 seconds
Sledgehammer tyre strikes for 90 seconds
Jumping Jacks for 90 seconds
3 minutes skipping with the heavy rope

That was the fitness side of training anyway. The rest was technical stuff.

I can't offer you a physiological breakdown of how good that workout is, but suffice to say when I was doing it, I was in the shape of my life (was doing that at least 3 times a week)

A lot of the people in boxing gyms today are their for fitness training only. You could go down to your local gym once or twice and train. This would give you a good idea about what sort of training you could do.

Any other questions, let me know. Good luck!
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Boxing exercise/training drills/regime - 06/11/06 02:25 PM

I would say that you should stay away from these high repetitions, since that's for muscular endurance. For power you can do proper weight training (or do the pushups with a backpack filled with something heavy)
Jogging improves mainly aerobic endurance, but boxers mainly need anaerobic endurance. Try to do 30 secs slow jog 30 secs sprint and repeat, this should work fine.

I suggest you take a look in the strengthening forum, as there's lots of information to be found there.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Boxing exercise/training drills/regime - 06/12/06 01:19 PM

That's pretty much what I did, cept, I did 5 kilo's running. Constant speed. We didn't vary much. DOn't know why.

-Taison out
Posted by: amfony

Re: Boxing exercise/training drills/regime - 06/13/06 04:08 AM

sweet, fanks guys. So if i follow that regime stated above i should be in killer shape? any hints/tips for discipline?

Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Boxing exercise/training drills/regime - 06/13/06 03:18 PM

I had a heart rate of 73 after doing a 4 kilomaetre run, having done this program for 9 months. This is decent for your average joe. Excercise is only part of a healthy lifestyle. Nutrition and rest are imperative too. All three need to be spot on to get into "killer shape".

Dicipline comes from you. You decide to do it. When I went to train, I told myself that nothing else in the world mattered, I had to train no matter what. This wasn't true of course, but if you tell your brain that, it'll believe its true and get you pumped up to train.

Also, try training with a partner. They can motivate you, and vice versa.

But as I said, discipline starts and ends with you.