Lead hand?

Posted by: bo-ken

Lead hand? - 05/25/06 02:34 PM

Ok I need a few tips for throwing hooks and uppercuts from my lead hand. I am a southpaw but it seems that when I want to hook or cut I switch stances. Any tips on how to throw solid punches from either side with the lead hand?
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Lead hand? - 05/25/06 03:05 PM

It's all down to drilling it into your muscle memory. Just keep practicing, slowly if technique gets sloppy and then get it going faster. Also make sure you work them on the heavy bag.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Lead hand? - 05/25/06 03:10 PM

As Ayub says, practice makes perfect. Keep on working on the heavy bag and it'll come together. If I had one tip for throwing a lead leg hook, it would be to make sure you rotate the feet and upper-body into the punch. By setting your feet nice and firm, then pivoting and dropping down, you create a nice amount of torque into the hook.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Lead hand? - 05/25/06 03:55 PM

Yes, try and minimise arm movement and maximise waist rotation with the hook. It should be your waist getting your fist across, not your arm.
Posted by: matxtx

Re: Lead hand? - 05/25/06 04:38 PM

Screw the feet into the ground too...i think.
I know on a rear hand hook you screw the rear foot,on the ball of the foot,not sure on a lead hand hook if you screw the lead foot too.Drive off the lead foot.
Let the body lead the arms and keep the arm bent.

Re: Lead hand? - 05/26/06 01:28 AM

This is good advice for my hook punch thanks. But what about uppercuting from the lead? Same idea just drill it more. I think my problem is I want my left hand to do all the work.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Lead hand? - 05/26/06 04:37 PM

An inportant thing to remember is that just because you are right-handed does not mean you are orthodox, and just because to are left-handed means you are a southpaw. Look at Oscar De La Hoya, a left-hander who fights using an orthodox stance.

Uppercutting from the lead is a tricky punch. You have you bear in mind that when throwing from your "power" hand, you hips will have to move more, and the more movement you have, the more power you generate.

To demonstrate the point, try this. Stand in your normal stance (which for you, I assume is southpaw) and stick you right hand out in front of you as far as you can. Hold it there. Then, stick your left hand out as far as you can. You will see straight away that the right hand reaches further than the left. When punching, you will have to move your body to get your left hand to reach the same point as your right. The same principle applies to your uppercut.

Try the exact same excercise as above, only this time uppercut. Hold your right uppercut, then do the left. You will see that your right is once more, ahead of the left. If you need your left to uppercut the same target as the right, then you need to move your body (by twisting the hips) to get it to the same place.

So it stands to reason that your lead uppercut will have less momentum usually that your "power" hand uppercut. That is why a lot of people throw the uppercut with their lead hand.

For practice, don't use a heavy bag for uppercuts. Most people only half-complete the punch, as the bag stops them following threw.

Use hook-jab pads, with the pad turned downward, so that the pad-side faces the ground.

Saving that, find a light bag and hoist it up to around 180 cm (about 6 ft or so, depending on your height!) and uppercut the bottom of the bag. Do nothing but lead uppercuts while practicing at first, then move into combos, then combine them with footwork/body shifitng.

As always, I may not have explained that all very well, so any other questions PM me or post back.

Re: Lead hand? - 05/27/06 03:49 PM

That will help me a lot. More mitts and less heavy bag for my hooks and cuts. I shift stances a lot during sparring but that is because I use my left side too much I am trying to stick to southpaw more often. I am have to try that bag drill you said I am 5' 10" so about 6" would be good.