Amir Khan fights tonight!!

Posted by: Supremor

Amir Khan fights tonight!! - 05/20/06 04:22 PM

Anyone else gonna be watching Khan, in what I think is his 7th professional fight. Hopefully he'll be fighting someone with a bit more respect than some of the fights he's had- I know they're just getting him used to the world of the pros, but if this kid's as good as he's shown so far- we've got a champ on our hands.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Amir Khan fights tonight!! - 05/20/06 06:22 PM

Well this fight wasnt as easy for him, though he did win every round, he got caught quite a few times and was careless at times too. Do you still think hes champion material? I'm not entirely convinced yet. Nevertheless, he is a great fighter.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Amir Khan fights tonight!! - 05/20/06 07:32 PM

Amir Khan has potential, but behind the hype, you have to remember this was only his 7th pro fight, and his first time past 4 rounds. He has a flashy style, but tonight showed he can take a punch, and is happy to have a gritty fight. His timing and footwork were, as always, superb, as were the variety of his shots.
I could do without the showboating, and he needs to keep his guard up-especially on the back foot under pressure, but he is still wet behind the ears, completely outboxing a hardy, aggressive, 35 fight, 10 year career pro. He is still a kid- at 19 years old he is still growing taller, let alone being far from reaching his prime of strength and seasoning.

He needs more oponents of this calibre to knock the cockiness out of him, and get him comfortable fighting in the clinch. If I were looking after him, he would have another 3 fights this year, culminating in his first 8-10 rounder against a hard chinned journeyman around christmas.

also he needs to stop bouncing around like a TKD fighter and learn to plant his feet a bit more to use his full power.

He has the tools, and the talent to be great. He just needs the experience and physical maturity to add to the package and he will be world class. I think he will challenge for a world championship around his 21st Birthday.

Danny Williams was on the same bill, being outboxed by an out of shape no-mark turkish fighter, 3 stone lighter than him. He cut the turk with a head clash and this caused a stoppage in a typically lazy dull performance. after the fight he reeled off all the same excuses, saying he needed to be in better shape (despite fighting at his lightest weight in around 2 years), and that he was not focused on the fight.
Rule 1. train hard and come into a fight fit enough to go the distance.
Rule 2. Devote your full attention to the big fella in front of you trying to hit you in the face.

Williams has failed to do either of these things through his whole career. Twice he has shown what he could do if he had the dedication and heart for the job- firstly knocking an oponent out one handed, having suffered a shoulder injury in the middle rounds of a contest, secondly a good defeat of an admitedly burnt out, Tyson.

If he cant find the enthusiasm to remind people of these performances, he should quit.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Amir Khan fights tonight!! - 05/20/06 09:27 PM

Quote:

He has a flashy style, but tonight showed he can take a punch, and is happy to have a gritty fight. His timing and footwork were, as always, superb, as were the variety of his shots.

He's also got good speed in both his footwork and as in his punches. He was evading very well (most of the time) and a lot of Komjathi's punches connected with thin air.

Quote:

I could do without the showboating, and he needs to keep his guard up-especially on the back foot under pressure

Typical arrogant youngster behaviour. I think he learnt a lesson tonight about keeping his guard up!

Quote:

he needs to stop bouncing around like a TKD fighter and learn to plant his feet a bit more to use his full power.

Amen to that.

Quote:

Danny Williams was on the same bill, being outboxed by an out of shape no-mark turkish fighter, 3 stone lighter than him. He cut the turk with a head clash and this caused a stoppage in a typically lazy dull performance.

I can't understand Danny Williams. He's seems to be just plain lazy a lot of the time. He was complacent about that fight, of course, and he won it without even trying, but that's no excuse for the carelessness he showed.

Quote:

Rule 1. train hard and come into a fight fit enough to go the distance.

He claimed he had only agreed to that fight 4 days previously and that's why he wasn't in shape, but how much does it matter when the fight only lasts three rounds?! Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Quote:

Rule 2. Devote your full attention to the big fella in front of you trying to hit you in the face.

Doesn't sound too difficult, does it?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Amir Khan fights tonight!! - 05/21/06 05:06 AM

Cord- you sum up everything I felt about the two fights.

We have all come to expect the superb hand-speed and upper-body mobility of Khan. But I feel he needs to learn quite a lot before he starts taking on the champs. His retreat is down-right sloppy with his hands down and his showboating is getting him in trouble. If he gets a few more tough bouts, perhaps he'll learn to cover up better and start boxing. He bounces too much, hell I'm an ITF TKD fighter, and I set my feet far more than that!

Danny Williams- well Serin was giving up 3 stone, the idea that he should have ever presented a threat to Williams is absurd; yet in the second round Serin had about 10 unanswered punches: not the way to do it Danny. When he did start punching, then it was impressive, if he can do that against Skelton then I'd say he's got good potential- bu he's got to put on some performance.

I don't know if anyone saw the McGee match. Mcgee lost his title in what was a pretty awful performance. Mcgee hardly looked threatening to an opponent, Takalou, who was not that good, but appeared to dominate the older man. I can't see Mcgee staying pro for much longer, I think the best thing he can do is to retire.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Amir Khan fights tonight!! - 05/21/06 08:34 AM

It was typical Magee. Anyone remember that he had Ricky hatton in trouble a few years back, but then took his foot off the gas. If we are talking about lethargy, forget Williams, it was Magee who stole the show there!

I like Danny, but if he wasn't in shape, he shouldn't have taken the fight. The ring is the only place you can legally be killed in the UK. It was a silly thing to do.

And to the bigger question: What did you make of Scott Harrisons late withdrawl? Scott Harrison, the world featherweight champ, was due to headline the card.