Old school boxing

Posted by: Stormdragon

Old school boxing - 05/11/06 11:57 AM

How did boxers train in the old old days, particularly pre-1900's? Also, can someone explain just hopw they fought and how exactly it differes from todays boxing.
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 12:29 PM

Vertical fist upon impact with punches.

The hands were held further away from the body.

Training, much like today... ive read regimens that included 10-15 mile walks every night, beef or steak dinners, and heavybag training ... which were homemade of course, back then the average person had more labor work than today which most definitely contributed as a sort of training I guess.

Partner work and sparring was just as it was today, except any type of focus mitt was probaly a homemade style, ive seen documentary footage before circa 1900 where two guys were training with bare hands like the focus mitt training is like today.

In the old times, boxing was a complete fighting system.. as it included techniques of both striking and grappling. With any type of ground fighting most likely being wrestling and just being able to get back up safely.

http://www.savateaustralia.com/savate%20essays/bare-knuckles%20to%20modern%20boxing.htm

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 01:28 PM

Hey thanks for the link, that's really interesting. Do oyu think the training in the old days of more long term inderuance and strength indurance, as well as long hard hours of rugged manual labor is partly what made fighters of htose days so tough, and much tougher than fighters today?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 02:22 PM

Boxers Pre 1900's were a breed apart. I have read articles on bouts that were over one hundred rounds long. I am searching for some info on this to show you.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 04:18 PM

Yes but the rounds were not timed. A round ended when someone got knocked down, so you could feasibly have 4 'rounds' in 90 seconds if a guy just wouldnt stay down.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 04:22 PM

Or a round every 5 minutes if the guy wouldn't go down in the first place. They tough Sob's in those days.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 05:50 PM

Thats way too much for me... a 2 minute round makes feel exhausted. I'm sure there were definitely some deaths, and what about resting time?

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 07:45 PM

You have to understand, those guys were accustomed to hard work and rough living. They'd often work all day 12-14 hours doing hard manual labor at an intense pace. They worked into it. They had to be tough and hard to survive. Fighters did just that, they fought, a lot, and trained, a lot, and worked, a lot. They also ran miles and miles in training and walked for hours. They just ddi it. You could do it to if you lived the way they did. That was teir life, training, working and fighting, and sometimes training other people to fight.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/11/06 07:48 PM

What about the effectiveness of boxing in self defense, street fighting, in use against multiple opponents, weapons, etc.? Any examples?

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 03:09 AM

Same as modern day. Someone who is used to maintaining composure whilst being punched full force, who has fast powerfull hands, good footwork, and an instinctive guard, will be able to defend themselves very well if attacked.
Glen McRory (retired cruiserweight world champ) came to the aid of a bouncer who was being badly beaten by a gang of 11 men outside a club in tyneside UK only 10 days or so ago. He managed to keep them off the bouncer, and hang on to the principle aggressor for the police, despite sustaining a bad head wound from being hit with an iron bar and a taxi sign! He attributed his ability to stay conscious and alert enough to hold on to the attacker, to his aclimatisation to punishment in his career. like any fighter of any discipline, he knew going in against 11 armed men, he was going to get a beating, but he feared for the doormans life and intervened regardless.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 12:43 PM

I'd like to see a fighter of today go 50 to 100 rounds with a normal modern fighters' lifestyle.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 01:59 PM

Quote:

I'd like to see a fighter of today go 50 to 100 rounds with a normal modern fighters' lifestyle.

You cant compare the two. Different rules, different punch mechanics, different everything. You can bet that much of those rounds was spent clinching, trying to find some energy from somewhere to continue, it would not have been all out 'rocky' war. Also remember that they were bare knuckled and would not be hitting as hard as todays boxers- gloves were introduced to protect hands, not heads.

They were not the superhumans you wish they were, sorry.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 02:53 PM

because they were bareknuckled does not mean they hit weaker, just means they are more apt to throw less punches, and more punches to softer areas ie: the body

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 03:15 PM

They were tough as hell that's all I know.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 04:12 PM

Quote:

because they were bareknuckled does not mean they hit weaker, just means they are more apt to throw less punches, and more punches to softer areas ie: the body

the mechanics of the strikes were different, the upright stance, with fists forward lent itself to stiff straight punches, as opposed to the haymakers you see in todays boxing.It was always designed to be a war of attrition. I am not saying they didnt hit hard, but I am saying that you didnt get the walloping KO punches that gloves allow you to go for now, if that sort of punch went wrong they would destroy their hands, and as has been mentioned, many were manual workers, who relied on being back at work the next day. No work, no food.

Yes they were tough, as are todays boxers. You cant tell me that any fighter from then showed more heart or grit than Roberto Duran, Barry McGuigan, Barrera, Morales, Hatton, or any number of great modern era boxers.

The rules were different, and they fought within the parameters they were given, just as fighters do today.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 07:21 PM

Ever read about how Sutton knocked James Figg clean off the platform they were fighting on. Now tell me that's not too hard compared to today's fighters. They were killers in those days. They also had to deal with more painful attacks because they were allowed, like throws slams, thumbs to the eyes, elbows, and things like that. Getting their hair pulled while being beaten senseless, like when Daniel Mendoza had his face beaten in while having his hair yanked. The were tough.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/12/06 11:36 PM

So did old time boxers just develope their skills and new techniques and tactics by just trial and error and experience and hten passon what they leanred to new fighters? It's much different from Karate and other MA of the orient which developed as highly complex, subtle and effective fighting systems with far more documentation.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/13/06 04:10 AM

well, ok, if they were tough, then what about 16th/17th century prize fighters? They would fight one round with bare knuckles, then the next with sabers! The aim was to maim and cause tendon damage. I would add that women would fight these rules as well. The 'corner men' would be on hand between rounds to stitch up their sword wounds right there in the ring, and to tie the hands into fists, or secure the weapon in the hand if the grip had failed but the fighter wanted to continue!
There were many deaths, and they were tough. if one of them had been born in modern day, they would have been a gritty boxer; and if ricky hatton had been born in the 17th century he would have been a tenacious prize fighter.

Tough people, with natural fighting spirit can only excell within the rules they are bound by in their sport and society. A modern soldier walking the streets of Iraq with a loaded rifle, is every bit as brave, and willing to get in the thick of things, as a Viking with an axe or a Roman centurion facing down a charge from Picts.

The tools change, the rules change, but the spirit of those involved remains uniform.

You will not change my mind on this, and I dont care if I dont change yours as I know I am right, and thats enough for me

Re: Old school boxing - 05/13/06 01:02 PM

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/13/06 02:13 PM

http://www.geocities.com/cinaet/price20.html

Check htis old bareknucle boxing instructional article and the sililarities to karate.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/13/06 07:05 PM

Quote:

http://www.geocities.com/cinaet/price20.html

Check htis old bareknucle boxing instructional article and the sililarities to karate.

Indeed, the last statement of parry number one, "As soon as the parry is effected, let you arm return to its natural guard, or in a word, let your primary position be resumed as rapidly as possible. Let us also impress it upon the mind of the reader, as we invariably endeavor to do upon those of our pupils, never, if possible, to catch a blow upon the arm. Such a parry must necessarily cause an injury to the part receiving the blow, and may not improbably render it less capable for administering future punishment."

from what I can discern is the same as karates famous .. a block is a strike the limb... statement... or possible he is just saying , dont let the attacker hit your arm ?? Its soo hard to understand english! :

Re: Old school boxing - 05/13/06 07:29 PM

Yeah, very close but who knows for sure. But look at the stance of the defender and and how he chambers his unused arm. Interesting I think. Also check this one:
http://www.geocities.com/cinaet/price8.html
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Old school boxing - 05/22/06 02:04 AM

Old boxing is with the straight back and with the vertical fists. The vertical fists twist into regular punches though as they are thrown. The biggest difference is that the arms are extended and are also lower so the head is more exposed.

The big change came about when Americans went to the Phillipines! Exposing your wrists in the boxing stance gives Kali artists an easy target to cut open with a knife. And sliced wrist = DANGEROUS! Since Kali back then was a very sweeping and dancing looking art, similar to capoeira, it was extremely easy to catch hold of and cut areas like the wrist, inside elbow, and neck. Also Filipinos kept their hands close to their body for protection in arts like Kali So the Americahns saw the need to change. Thus creating this more modern and harder-to-get-cut-and-die stance!
Posted by: trevek

Re: Old school boxing - 05/22/06 04:55 AM

I heard that changes in hand position also came about with gloves.

As to the differences between fighters of now and then, I had an idea of this when I was doing Backhold wrestling. A Cumbrian wrestler said that the Glasgow wrestlers did weights and gym work, which the Cumbrian champion didn't. What he didn't mention was that the Cumbrian chap was a farm labourer and probably worked a 12 hour day lugging sheep, hay bales and sacks. Not something the Glaswegians had a chance to do too often.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Old school boxing - 05/22/06 11:59 AM

IExcalibui2 -

I know that there was some back-and-forth between cultures when Americans were over in the Phillipines. But I had not heard of much influence from them on Western-style boxing.

I was also not aware that boxers were using the vertical fist that often. My understanding was that they still used the horizontal fist primarily. Do you have any links or sources you could share?
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Old school boxing - 05/22/06 05:13 PM

oh i meant vertical as in the palm would be facing up with the background facing the ground, just like the boston celtic's logo.

but i heard these things from a guy that I know that does modern arnis and also from dan inosanto the Guro himself! I'll go find the link somewhere in the JKD forum.

Re: Old school boxing - 05/23/06 08:06 AM

i suggest those that are interested in old school pugilism, invest a small amount of money in the current reprint of a book simply called 'Boxing' by A.J. Newton (Bloomsbury publishing ISBN 0 7475 7906 7 )

Mr Newton was lightweight amateur champion 1888-1890 and his book was first published in 1910 by which time he was an experienced coach and trainer.

It is essentialy a beginners guide to boxing as it was, including everything from technique to diet and training. It also has the records for the longest and shortest fights recorded, both gloved and un-gloved.

Below is the quite wonderful introduction Chapter of this essential book:

'A native of southern Europe in dispute flies to his knife or dagger. The wild Westerner grips his six shooter. but the Britisher is handy with his fists in an emergency. i shall endeavour to lay before the reader all the necessary strokes, lunges, parries, feints, attacks or retirements which are the necessary equipment of a first-rate boxer.'

Gloved matches were the very longest, and very shortest on record. Longest: Bowen vs Burke 7 hours 19 mins, 110 rounds. April 6th 1893.New Orleans.
Shortest: Hawkins vs Flaherty 4 seconds March 17th 1897 Carson City Nevada.

Buy this book, it simply does not get any more 'old school' than this

Re: Old school boxing - 05/25/06 08:07 PM

Where can a person get a hold of that book?

Re: Old school boxing - 05/26/06 03:23 AM

amazon stock it, but I picked my copy up at my local bookstore Borders (I dont know if you have them in the US?)

search on line by Author/ISBN number and you will find it I am sure- its in print and very cheap. it will open your eyes to the realities of what these guys were capable of stormdragon

Re: Old school boxing - 05/26/06 12:34 PM

Thanks cord I'll be sure to check up on that.