What do you think of this gym?

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

What do you think of this gym? - 05/03/06 11:32 PM

My friend and I have been thinking of joining this school. I think taking up an MA with a partner keeps you interested, and he's been wanting to join an MA class for a while. This school looks like it may be a bit pricey, but they say there aren't any contracts, so I guess that makes up for it.

http://www.ultimategymny.com/index1.htm

I've contacted them about whether they would take in 17 year olds, shouldn't be a problem but I've been denied before because of it with another gym.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: What do you think of this gym? - 05/04/06 12:14 AM

Your lucky to live in New York... it seems like all the great martial arts schools are in New York...

making this one no differant.

It looks like a great program but I couldn't find how much they charge, I saw that they offer a month, three month, six month, or yearly membership but no price...

so how much is "a bit pricey"?
Posted by: Cord

Re: What do you think of this gym? - 05/04/06 02:33 AM

Hmmmm.... not sure myself. It is nicely presented, but I couldnt find reference to any competition success regarding its members. If a school focuses on what are commonly competetive arts, and are good at coaching them, then they usualy encourage students to enter competitions, and are proud to display their successes. Have they no winning fighters in their stable? If not, why?

Vale Tudo means 'anything goes' and refers to the style of a competition, not a specific martial art. Saying you can learn Vale Tudo, is like a school saying 'come and learn UFC'. what style of grappling do they teach? Its very vague.

If a school has no contracts, but encourages you to pay up front for long periods of training (6-12 months), then that is a contract. You will not get a refund if you stop going 2 months in to your year.
Contracts do not always equate with evil, if its a nice facility, then they have overheads to cover like any business- but be mindful of any long term commitment you make.

they advertise 'authentic' muay thai, yet do not have specific info on their instructors, nor where they themselves trained. Again, an authentic heritage is something to be proud of, and inspire confidence in students- why not use it if you have it?

taison was very helpful when i was investigating a local MT school, and i am sure he will be so here.

check out this site www.singto.co.uk I am not saying its the benchmark for all western MT, but look at the depth of info they are happy to share, and the level they have taken some of their students to. Taison said it was well worth checking out, and he was right. Be interesting to see what he makes of this place.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: What do you think of this gym? - 05/04/06 10:03 PM

I sent them an e-mail, and they told me its $175/month for classes 3 times a week and $190/month for unlimited. Might as well spend the extra $15. They didn't answer my question about their "group discount" for two or more people signing up together. I think I'll wait for a couple of more responses, then try a class and see if I like it.
Posted by: Taison

Re: What do you think of this gym? - 05/05/06 05:23 AM

Smells a bit fishy. .

No lineage and Vale Tudo? ? I thought Vale Tudo was a competition not a style. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, $190 for training? Isn't that a bit much to expect from you? I mean, they are getting a bit greedy in their prices, don't you think? A good school should be somewhere around $60-$120, not more than that but less is good.

My suggestion, look up a place with a lineage, at least you'll know you're learning the real stuff.

-Taison out
Posted by: Cord

Re: What do you think of this gym? - 05/05/06 06:21 AM

Quote:

I sent them an e-mail, and they told me its $175/month for classes 3 times a week

that is steep. In UK £'s that is about £9 per class. going rate here is around £4-£6. i used to have 1 on 1 personal karate tuition for £15 an hour, if that helps put it in perspective.
Posted by: mrhubbs

Re: What do you think of this gym? - 05/23/06 08:59 PM

If you are interested in training Muay Thai and you are in Manhattan, check out Five Points Muay Thai (part of Five Points Fitness) at the following address:

Five Points Fitness
444 Broadway
New York, NY 10013
(212) 226-4474

The program is run by Kru Steve Milles and he is excellent -- a very bright guy, a good teacher, and a heck of a fighter as well. I trained with him for a couple of years while I was in the city and loved every minute of it. I don't know anything about the price, but if the club is affordable and reasonably close to you, you would likely do well under Steve's tutelage.

The link to their Muay Thai page is http://www.5pointsfitness.com/MuayThai.aspx

Best of luck,

David