When Sports people box....

Posted by: Prizewriter

When Sports people box.... - 05/03/06 02:22 PM

Read this story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4948340.stm

and it got me thinking of all those athletes from other sports who decided to try boxing. Anthony Mundine is about the most successful I can think of (former rugby player who fought for the world super middleweight title).

There have been some laughable examples though, such as a gentleman named China Smith, who apparently played American football (anyone with any more info re Mr Smith, can they fill me in??) Got a nice unbeaten record against floor sweepers and meatbags, then was destroyed by a blown up crusierweight Saul Montana. Twice.

I think he should stuck with the American Football...
Posted by: Cord

Re: When Sports people box.... - 05/03/06 06:27 PM

Bob Sapp- ex NFL, now K1 star.

Jim 'blackbelt Jones' Kelly switched from eastern MA to queensbury rules, though I am not sure of his success.

Mike Tyson raced pigeons before boxing (I know thats a stretch )

To be honest, with the state of the Heavyweight scene at the minute, I am suprised more 'big' athletes dont throw their hat in the ring- ice hockey, NFL, rugby, and of course the various kickboxing styles (all of which have much less prize money), could all offer at least a handfull of people with the physical potential to beat the fat sweaty blow-hards that pass themselves off for heavyweight contenders these days.
Posted by: Gula

Re: When Sports people box.... - 05/04/06 12:46 PM

Ive tought that basketball players would be "good" boxers because they have good cordination with hand and eye and they have a big reach.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: When Sports people box.... - 05/07/06 02:27 AM

They don't make heaveyweights liek they used to that's for sure. Now htey're all bloated bodybuilders who spend more time admiring themselves as training and fighting.