Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy?

Posted by: amfony

Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 04/30/06 03:29 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a fairly simple question about equipment to buy for my boxing/muay thai kickboxing training.

My info first:

I am 20, about 1/2 yr out muay thai under my belt, and now want to purchase a "home circuit stand" so i can tcontinue my exercises and drills a home. I now have now found a new love for traditional boxing aswell to MTKB.

I am thinkning that this equipment would be my first buy/last buy for boxing equipment as it is quite costly.

goto www.jimbradley.com.au then potable fitness equipment then go down to home circuit stand.

What i was thinknig is to instead of a middle sized bag, purchase a long bag (to practice my kicks for MTKB).

What do people think? is this an over kill? or a good ONE TIME buy for a boxing/MTKB enthusiat to use for fitness and technique, but im not going to be a fighter.

Any thoughts would be great. thans.

PS: as a beginner, would i need to buy a larger or smaller floor to ceiling ball? and for punching bag, a heavy one or a lighter one?
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 04/30/06 04:07 AM

i think that guys stuff was overpriced.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 04/30/06 12:50 PM

Good grief! he likes to price his kit at the high end doesnt he?

You have said yourself, your main concern is for fitness and the love of training, so investing so heavily in stuff for home use seems unnecessary to me. Besides which, everlast, lonsdale, BBE, etc offer equipment at the fraction of this cost that seems to do very well for pro level fighters, and would do so for you also.

If i were you, I would get a couple of wall brackets, put a heavy bag on one (long one if you intend to kick as well as punch), and a maize ball on the other (for uppercut work and for a more mobile target).
Floor to ceiling balls are more for body movement and timing- these are not concerns if you have no intention of fighting a human oponent so why spend the cash on them?

With the money you save by buying sensibly priced, specific equipment you should invest in a good rubber medicine ball for ballistic core work, a speed rope for skipping intervals, and a pull up bar for chins and hanging ab work.

You may also want to look into an olympic bar and selection of weights for cleans, and olympic lifts like jerk and snatch- very good for power and speed development.

As far as the bags themselves are concerned, only go for leather if they are going to be in a dry environment, If you are putting them in a garage, then PVC will be better as it wont go mouldy. The difference in longevity is minimal, especially with only one person whacking away at them, and taking this option will save you more money again, this can then be invested in extra classes, that in turn will give you more ideas of what you can drill on your home set up.
Posted by: mrhubbs

Re: Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 05/01/06 08:52 PM

We have very similar goals, and I have already outfitted my home with my boxing/kickboxing equipment.

I went with a banana bag, a double end bag, and a speed bag. The banana and double end bags are ceiling hung and not a part of any bag stand unit. Part of keeping your bag work fun is being able to work the bag completely: moving, circling and firing off combinations. Remember, the idea is to treat the bag like an opponent. Just hammering away at it from a stationary position is limiting its effectiveness and your fun. I mention this becomes it seems like many of these bag stand units affect your ability to move and hit the bag from all angles.

Cord is right that the double end bag is unnecessary, but I do enjoy working with it, so I didn't mind shelling out the extra cash. The speedbag was just something extra to work on. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have skipped that investment. (It's still fun, though.)

Cord is probably also right about the materials. Where were you Cord before I bought all my leather equipment and put it in my moldy garage!

In addition to the companies listed, check out www.ringside.com and www.titleboxing.com. I like Ringside's products a great deal and they are reasonably priced.

Best of luck,

David

edited to fix links
Posted by: amfony

Re: Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 05/02/06 07:27 AM

thanks for all the information guys. And sorry to be such a novice, but what is a maize bag?

Also a question about what else besdies bags and stands, to safley (and consistenly) work the heavy bag wot equipment would i need?

In my Muay Thai training we never used a heavy bag, only focus mits. I assume i need wrist wraps?

Thanks guys.

I want to get into traditional boxing in a bad way (thanks to the contender, just being aired here in australia), BUT i want to do it safley and correctly.

Thanks gain
Posted by: Cord

Re: Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 05/02/06 09:38 AM

Quote:

I want to get into traditional boxing in a bad way (thanks to the contender, just being aired here in australia), BUT i want to do it safley and correctly.

A maize bag is a heavy short, rounded bag, designes for upward strikes- you cant uppercut a heavy bag, so these allow you to practice uppercuts and shovel strikes without breaking your wrists.

you can use handwraps, i tend to use the inner gloves instead as they are more convenient, but they dont offer the same level of hand protection.
You will need a good set of gloves. I use 16onz, but that is what I fight with in Savate, so pointless me using different in training.

To be honest, you could probably live in a boxing gym for the amount you are thinking of spending on your garage. If you want to get into western boxing, there is more to it than hitting hanging objects. To do it properly, you should go train with your local amateur boxing club and their acredited coaches. No amount of rounds on a bag at home will compare to tuition and sparring with them.
Posted by: boxing_kid

Re: Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 05/02/06 12:56 PM

titleboxing.com is a good site but ringside.com is overpriced and they don't include any bags with their equipment
Posted by: mrhubbs

Re: Boxing equipment investment ..is this a good buy? - 05/02/06 08:30 PM

"titleboxing.com is a good site but ringside.com is overpriced and they don't include any bags with their equipment"

Thanks for the heads up. I always found title and ringside to have almost exactly the same pricing, but I haven't made any purchases recently, so that might have changed. Nearly all of my equipment is Ringside, so I'll be sure to check title before buying anything new.

What did you mean about not including any bags with their equipment? Did you mean that you must buy bags separately when buying stands?

Thanks again.